Thread: Chatanika Moose Hunting

Default Chatanika Moose Hunting

Looking forward to taking my daughter on her first moose hunt this summer and she was lucky enough to draw the August 15-31st Chatanika (Steese Highway and Elliot Highway area) antlerless moose permit. I know the area fairly well, but we are contemplating floating, or doing a 4 wheeler trip to get off the beaten path and away from the other 53 permit winners for that time slot. Does anybody have ideas on areas to head in? We will be doing some scouting trips this summer but it would be nice to have some starting ideas.

Also, since she will be 10 during the hunt, I am presuming the tag is hers and will not count against my bag limit as well? The Delta Youth hunt that my neice drew last year counted against the permit winner, and the accompanying adult. It specifically states that for the youth hunt and I could not find it anywhere on other drawing hunts, so I thought I would ask to confirm.

Thanks!

I was sitting here all bummed out that I didn't draw that particular hunt, but at least now I'm excited that one of the tags went to a kiddo. I'll probably still go float that stretch of river this summer just to check things out and maybe do some panning. I'll try to think to give you a river report if I go out there in June or July. Good luck!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Wife and son have the same tag, hopefully will get the chance for my wife to shoot her 1st moose with an original 1888 trapdoor 45/70

I'll go ahead and be excited for your wife and her first moose too. The other 51 folks are in my doghouse though.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Cool Wiso, congrats to you guys for pulling that permit too. It'll be nice to get some hunting in before the regular season opens up and the place gets real crowded.

We'll be using the same .243 that my niece used on her moose last year. We'll have some back up, and my brother plans to film the hunt like I did for his daughter last September. Good luck to you guys!

Is that the middle Chatanika permit?

Yes, it borders the east side of the Elliot Highway and the first 40 or so miles of the Steese up to Long Creek.