Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

Thread: Wolf defense handgun, suggestions and advice needed...

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Wolf defense handgun, suggestions and advice needed...

    Hello. You guys have a great site. I have a friend who lives on the Kuskokwim river, near Kalskag. Wolves are becoming a concern for her, she does alot of snowmachineing and cross country skiing by her self. She was looking for a .22 LR revolver, but I was able to convince her that she should get something with a bit more stopping power than that. She has little experience shooting, and not a whole lot of money to spend. We looked at guns, she ended up going with a P 95 rugger. I am afraid that anything bigger will be too much recoil, and inaccurate. Any body have experience shooting wolves with a 9mm? JHP of FMJ? I assume the heavier the better. Would 147 grain FMJ be a good choice, or would a +P+ hollow point be better? Where should one aim on the body? Thank you for any input.

  2. #2
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    I would ditch the jhp for fmj, I have seen dogs shot head shot with JHP and live though usually out cold and a bloody mess.

    Where to aim?
    Center mass in an attach situation as always and heart/lung for other situations. If she can shoot it a wolf will be no match for a 9mm up close but the most important thing is that she shoot it often and be proficient with it. Have her work on moving targets too, my wife and I like party balloons on a line blowing in the breeze. I string a close line then dangle 5 or so balloons a couple feet below it, one calls out color to shoot as the other shoots. Itís fun and is the kind of shooting I used to get into hunting coyotes and ferial dogs in Arizona.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply, I like the suggestion about the balloons, sounds like a fun challenge.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Although the 9mm should be fine for wolf, I don't really like an automatic for beginners. I think a small to med frame DA revolver in 38/357 would be a better choice. For me, it's easier to train someone to accurately shoot a DA revolver than an auto and malfunction drills are less complicated. Then there's the how to carry an auto. Cocked and locked, hammer down on loaded chamber, or empty chamber. Some autos, like the glock, are simple point and shoot but still have the malfunction thing that a beginner under stress will probably mess up.

  5. #5

    Default

    I wouldn't feel undergunned with my 4" bbl 8 shot .22 magnum. Get her a small frame .22 pistol, and she will be just fine. I'm pretty sure there is only one documented wolf kill in US history, so carry ease is just as big of a concern as caliber, IMO.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    2akin2002:
    I think you shoulda let her get the 22 LR revolver, and told her it needed to have a 5 or 6 inch barrel.

    tailwind:
    Have you ever chronoed the velocity from your 4" barrel in 22 Mag.? I only like 22 Mag. in rifles.

    Thanks,
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hello, this is my first post here. I've seen .357 magnum used on wild dogs, and I'd say it was more than enough gun to do the job. Even considering that dogs usually aren't much if compared toe-to-toe with wolves, I'd say 9mm ought to be adequate. I'd suggest using JHP instead of FMJ.

    For people who don't shoot much, I think revolvers make more sense than automatics. They take a lot less practice to operate reflexively, and it's usually easy to find grips even for a small woman's hands. Buying a used double-action .38 special from Ruger or a new one from Charter Arms wouldn't put too big of a dent in someone's bank account.

    Bear spray is also handy, and doesn't cost or weigh much. My wife always has a can when we go hiking. Some mailmen in my area carry pepper spray for dogs, but I don't know what kind.

    Practice lots with your friend, and stay safe...

  8. #8
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    22 LR in a revolver. Always carry on a empty chamber and they are great fun and cheap to shoot.

    Cold weather like we have will make any spray unusable.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  9. #9

    Default

    With out a doubt, I've taken animals heavier than most wolves I've seen with a.22LR. Matter of fact a very nice Black Wolf mount sits in a fellows house that was taken with a 10/22 at about 30 yards. So with that thought go with a revolver in .22 and get good with it. Keeping in mind you are looking for defense and not active pursuit.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crookedknife View Post
    Hello, this is my first post here. I've seen .357 magnum used on wild dogs, and I'd say it was more than enough gun to do the job. Even considering that dogs usually aren't much if compared toe-to-toe with wolves, I'd say 9mm ought to be adequate. I'd suggest using JHP instead of FMJ.

    For people who don't shoot much, I think revolvers make more sense than automatics. They take a lot less practice to operate reflexively, and it's usually easy to find grips even for a small woman's hands. Buying a used double-action .38 special from Ruger or a new one from Charter Arms wouldn't put too big of a dent in someone's bank account.

    Bear spray is also handy, and doesn't cost or weigh much. My wife always has a can when we go hiking. Some mailmen in my area carry pepper spray for dogs, but I don't know what kind.

    Practice lots with your friend, and stay safe...
    Good First Post.

    Thanks for your contribution.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    22 LR in a revolver. Always carry on a empty chamber Steve
    That's a good idea with CERTAIN, older design Single Actions, like the Rugers, that haven't been modified.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12

    Default

    Has any of you had a encounter with a wolf that had not been wounded and attacted or aproched after it reconized that you was a human. I have never had dealings with a wolf but thought they would put as much ground between you and them as soon as possible.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2akin2002 View Post
    Hello. You guys have a great site. I have a friend who lives on the Kuskokwim river, near Kalskag. Wolves are becoming a concern for her, she does alot of snowmachineing and cross country skiing by her self. She was looking for a .22 LR revolver, but I was able to convince her that she should get something with a bit more stopping power than that. She has little experience shooting, and not a whole lot of money to spend. We looked at guns, she ended up going with a P 95 rugger. I am afraid that anything bigger will be too much recoil, and inaccurate. Any body have experience shooting wolves with a 9mm? JHP of FMJ? I assume the heavier the better. Would 147 grain FMJ be a good choice, or would a +P+ hollow point be better? Where should one aim on the body? Thank you for any input.
    The Hornady 124 grain XTP JHP would be an excllent choice and will work just fine for the intended purpose

  14. #14
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    This:



  15. #15

    Default

    No way would my first choice be a 22 Mag. I've seen a 22 Mag fail on a Coyote and a wolfe may wiegh as much as 140 pounds

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    No way would my first choice be a 22 Mag. I've seen a 22 Mag fail on a Coyote and a wolfe may wiegh as much as 140 pounds
    I think I'd rather have a 22 LR, than a 22 Mag, in a handgun. I'm afraid there wouldn't be that much difference in velocity.

    I have a 22 Mag. Rifle, and I use the Federal 50 grain bullet loads.

    I was shootin them pretty often, but now, they're scarce, and the price has skyrocketed.

    I dunno, if the 50 grain bullets are that much better, than the 40 grain, but I thought they might penetrate better, on something like a Coyotee, or Wolf, if I ran across one while out huntin the Low Bush Moose.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #17
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Great discussion of guns...and I have no problem with hunting wolves on purpose or hunting anything else for that matter, I hunt myself all the time and have killed many animals, and with rare exception I eat them. If they open the wolf hunting back up here in Idaho, I'll probably hunt them and use the fur, maybe even try a bite, as I am quite fond of cougar (mtn. lion)

    That said, what's this about wolf defense? Wolves do not attach humans, at least not from everything I have read, but maybe there are exceptions for wounded animals that are approached, as Cast Iron said (but I noticed every one ignored). Now bears are a different matter, and even though it is rare, it is horrible and some hikers, joggers etc. have been attacked and I would be much more concerned about bear defense. By all means get her a gun and have her carry it, she need it against something, even a human, but not likely a wolf.

  18. #18
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Great discussion of guns...and I have no problem with hunting wolves on purpose or hunting anything else for that matter, I hunt myself all the time and have killed many animals, and with rare exception I eat them. If they open the wolf hunting back up here in Idaho, I'll probably hunt them and use the fur, maybe even try a bite, as I am quite fond of cougar (mtn. lion)

    That said, what's this about wolf defense? Wolves do not attach humans, at least not from everything I have read, but maybe there are exceptions for wounded animals that are approached, as Cast Iron said (but I noticed every one ignored). Now bears are a different matter, and even though it is rare, it is horrible and some hikers, joggers etc. have been attacked and I would be much more concerned about bear defense. By all means get her a gun and have her carry it, she need it against something, even a human, but not likely a wolf.
    This is the incident that has her concerned and prompted her desire for a gun I'm sure.

    http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/117572...-villager.html

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  19. #19
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    That said, what's this about wolf defense? Wolves do not attach humans, at least not from everything I have read, but maybe there are exceptions for wounded animals that are approached, as Cast Iron said (but I noticed every one ignored). Now bears are a different matter, and even though it is rare, it is horrible and some hikers, joggers etc. have been attacked and I would be much more concerned about bear defense. By all means get her a gun and have her carry it, she need it against something, even a human, but not likely a wolf.
    Well maybe they are friendlier in Idaho.
    http://www.wtae.com/r/22804534/detail.html
    http://www.adn.com/2009/09/18/940618...southwest.html
    http://community.adn.com/adn/node/155669
    http://www.gilawilderness.com/local/wolfboyattacked.htm
    http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/wolf...raise_concerns
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzEcfILITs
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2022457AAXXHRT
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1531289

    It's not as common as bear trouble but not all that uncommon ether and a big issue in places. Moose are another major issue in many parts of Alaska, youíre far more likely to have moose trouble than bear trouble here.

    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think I'd rather have a 22 LR, than a 22 Mag, in a handgun. I'm afraid there wouldn't be that much difference in velocity.

    I have a 22 Mag. Rifle, and I use the Federal 50 grain bullet loads.

    I was shootin them pretty often, but now, they're scarce, and the price has skyrocketed.

    I dunno, if the 50 grain bullets are that much better, than the 40 grain, but I thought they might penetrate better, on something like a Coyotee, or Wolf, if I ran across one while out huntin the Low Bush Moose.

    Smitty of the North


    The 22 Mag in a handgun is still more than the LR in a handgun.

    I found the 50 grain load to be very effective in-fact more so than the lighter weight bullet at distance, but still the 22 mag don;t give me the warm and fuzzy feeling when Wolf's are involved. Better than hand to teeth for sure and certain

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •