Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack add on rifle holder help

Default Backpack add on rifle holder help

Trying to decide on either getting a new sheep pack or using my old one , Nothing wrong with my old one except no place to put the rifle .Can some one point me in the right direction . Do they make a add on sling you can attach to your backpack ? I use bungees ,But would like to know if they make an add on ,I can not find any.

Thanks

I have a Cabelas pack with the rifle holder but my partner has a similiar pack without one. He used the Cabelas add on rifle holder the first year and it really sucked. He replaced it the next year with the Barney's add on rifle holder and, while it's better, it still allows the rifle to come out sometimes while climbing through brush. I would stay away from either one.

I'm curious - how many of you guys put your rifles on your pack? I always carry mine in my hands.

-Brian

Default Depends

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    I'm curious - how many of you guys put your rifles on your pack? I always carry mine in my hands.
    -Brian
    It's usually slinged over the shoulder but in brush or confined space I put in my hands.
    Never got into the pack thing.

Roger,
    Barneys makes a rifle holder that mounts right to the frame, its made well out of leather and runs $49 check out their web site, I use the Barneys "carnivore freighter frame" along with the "packer" pack, it already comes with a rifle holder.but you can save yourself some money and still use your old pack, now as far as carrying a rifle. I like to carry mine too, however when I go vertical, It goes on the pack and I'm using a treking pole.....K

I use a Universal Gunbearer from Kifaru. Works pretty well and leaves the rifle easily accessible. It will fit on just about any pack with shoulder straps and a wide hip belt. If your not sure, they will answer any questions you have about fit prior to your order.

http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

One note....you can't sit down with the pack on without removing the rifle.

I got one of these after trying several and once adjusted right for your pack, its the bomb. I have my trekking poles in my hands and only carry the rifle in my hands when I am planning on shortly using it. I highly reccomend this setup.

Default safari sling

A friend introduced me to the safari sling for a goat hunt last season. I'll never look back. The best part is when you stop to catch your breath, you have a place to rest your forearms on the gun. It also leaves both hands free, although you have to be somewhat careful about banging it on the rocks if your in steep country.

http://www.redi-mag.com/safarisling.php

Default long, short or both??

What setup do you use? I would assume the long, but not sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I got one of these after trying several and once adjusted right for your pack, its the bomb. I have my trekking poles in my hands and only carry the rifle in my hands when I am planning on shortly using it. I highly reccomend this setup.

The long, from their site

"The “Long” GunBearer® will fit packs with wide padded waistbelts, and the “Short” will fit standard web or leather belts for packs with webbing waist straps or no waist strap at all."

The Kifaru gunbearer looks like it would be great, although I haven't used one. I've used the one availablre from Barney's which, by the way they do not make, but sell it. For a frame pack it's real good. The Cabela's one is a pos.

I carry my rifle all the time. Years ago - black bear sow, 2 cubs, 12 feet away poppin her jaws, my rifle on a sling over my pack=no sling on gun any more. Always have it my hands. FWIW.

I used that one from Brneys for a few years (think its made by Dark Horse leathers) but I found it to be a POS as well. The top leather piece would never hold the top of the rifle, had to make my own velcro lashes to keep the top part of my rifle from falling. Then it was **** near impossible to get off quickly. Bumped into a big choclate colored griz in a Brooks drainage while sheep hunting and neither me nor my partner (he ha dthe Dark Horse one as well) could do much as far as quickly freeing up the rifles. Thankfully he gave us a big cushion as he circled away from us and we just kept on walking past him down the creek. The Kifaru secures the rifle out of your hands and yet can be released to the ready position should you need to by the pull of one strap. It really works well. Theres a lot of walking being done while sheep hutning and supporting myself with trekking poles while crossing creeks and such is important to me and I dont need my rifle in my hands I just need to cover lots of ground. Its easily worth the money, heck I paid more for the Barneys one and its not near as handy as the Kifaru.

Default Gun Bearer

Once I started using it, I don't go anywhere w/o it. Even use it on my day pack.

Default rifle holder

Once I bought my barneys pack with the rifle holder on the side of the bag, my rifle is in the holder most of the time. Especially once I start climbing and descending.

Default gunbearer

another vote for the Kifaru gunbearer.
    Gary

Default Eberlestock Packs

I got an Eberlestock pack last year and I am 100% satisfied with it. I got the gunslinger model and it is made of 1000 denier cordura and is tough as nails. There are several models of Eberlestock packs and they have a rifle holder integrated into the packs. Super nice way to carry a rifle securely, yet accessible. Check out the packs on the Eberlestock website below. Also, great customer service.
    http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm Dan

Thanks for all the info , Looks like I'm going with the Kifaru , But one question by the photos it looks like the rifle is in your face all the time and could be in your way with treking sticks. Anybody have this problem ? Does anybody in town sell it ?

Thanks for all the help, Looks like I'll keep my pack and save a few $$

Wink

I use internal frame packs Lowe, gregory. Select one large enough with what they called a wand pocket. The rifle butstock, or barrel of a handgun goes here. If a handgun, face down, the pocket is lined with tire innertube cut to size to avoid wear. The top is secured with slipknot, velcro, lash strap whatever. If your scrambling up, or down steep ledges, you can add a third strap in the middle of the gun fixed to the mid compression strap. When on level ground again remove it for better access. Simple, and effective! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thumbs up

another vote for the kifaru universal gun bearer

Default Gun Bearer

Your rifle rests against your arm pit shoulder area. I use Leki climbing poles and I never notice my rifle. The sling that fits on your waist belt is adjustable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast