Thread: Barnes 7mm 110 gr. TTSX or 140 gr. TSX for sheep?

Default Barnes 7mm 110 gr. TTSX or 140 gr. TSX for sheep?

So in recent years I have started to fall in love with the TSX bullets ever since shooting them through my .375 H&H for Brown Bear. Since then I have used them in my .243 for Blacktails. Before using the TSX my .243 would almost never pass through a deer.

So here I am thinking about my sheep hunt this August. I like to take the 7mm sheep hunting for the flat trajectory. I see that Barnes has made a 110 gr. TTSX that Federal loads. I was wondering on what everyone's thoughts are on using this 110 gr. round for sheep.

My first thought would be that its a little small, but then again I should be able to get good penetration with it being solid copper.

Anyone have any ideas?

I shoot the 140's out of my 280 and used them to take my sheep with a one shot kill at 300+ yards. I picked the 140's just in case I got a chance at a Grizz.

I'm a big proponent of the TSX for brown bear, my only concern with the TSX on lighter game is the point that you mentioned -they tend to pass right through the animal-. In my mind that means that the bullet is probably not opening up very much, and a bullet that passes through is not expending all it's energy in the animal. On the other hand, an entrance hole and an exit hole mean a better blood trail, that may be an important consideration in some circumstances.

Mountain hunting often includes wind, I would opt for the 140grn bullet as it will handle windy conditions easier, if those are your only choices. Personaly I would take a 160grn bullet provided the rifle shoots them accurately, and they would also make for better bear medicine.

Whatever you choose have a good and safe hunt.

sheep die like black bears...pretty easy. a 30 grain heavier bullet isn't going to wow the sheep but might give you an edge when dealing with the wind that has been mentioned...its not that much extra weight to pack either!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I like em too , take the 140's

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    sheep die like black bears...pretty easy. a 30 grain heavier bullet isn't going to wow the sheep but might give you an edge when dealing with the wind that has been mentioned...its not that much extra weight to pack either!
    I've killed black bears up the ying yang, not all of em die easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I've killed black bears up the ying yang, not all of em die easy.....
    See, there's your problem. You're supposed to shoot them in the chest, not the ying yang...

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a given!!

You could also split the difference, kinda, and shoot 120's. I haven't tried (nor do I plan to) the 110's in my 7-08, but I'm currently working up a load with the 120's because I can get some better speed and flatter trajectory with the 120's versus the 140's. If you read enough of the reports around here, you'll read a number of guys have done well on various critters up to and including moose with the 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    See, there's your problem. You're supposed to shoot them in the chest, not the ying yang...
    Actually, you are correct!!!
    That 7 footer in my avatar, well, I shot him up the ying yang!!! (he actually did die pretty easy)

From what I've read up on , on the TSX vs the TTSX is just a barrel fowling upgrade they made on the bullet.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Does there really need to be a discussion on this one? The ballistic coefficient on the 140 will be VASTLY superior to the short/stubby 110. It will be a much flatter shooting round at long distances. That said sheep aren't hardly tough animals and other bullets will work fine. I have a 7mm wsm and I'm shooting 150 Swift Scirocco 2s. If you go with Barnes I would stick with the 140s though.

Brett

Discussion is always welcome.

The 110's BC is .319 and the 140 is .412. So yes, pretty significant. The 120 has a BC of .373, which is a lot closer to the 140's BC.

However, if the OP isn't planning on shooting beyond 300 yards, I don't think the BC is going to have a large impact on trajectory. Like stated already, the biggest advantage of the 140 is its ability to buck the wind better than the 110.

The 140 is certainly a good choice, and if the OP is shooting a 7mag (didn't read this declared anywhere), he should be able to get the 140 running over 3000fps. Nothing wrong with that!

I only offered my 7mm-08 deliberation because it showed the compromises I considered to get more speed and a flatter trajectory. The 7-08 gets a 140 going at around 2800, but it gets the 120 going around 3000. That diff in speed has more influence on trajectory than the BC diff between the 120 and 140.

I have to agree with HK, the 120gr tsx is a good choice. The wife has used it in her 7-08 the last couple yrs without issue for deer & moose. It has been discussed on a few other forums as well & there is a fair amount of people including many alaskans that use this load for a good general purpose load up here. In fact that is what we will be using again for an Oct. goat on Kodiak.
    Not to say there aren't better bullets / loads but it will certainly work for what you are asking if you do your part.