Thread: Crabbing in Port Wells...

Default Crabbing in Port Wells...

Has anyone gone north into the Port Wells are for Tanner crab or is it better to go south? Planning on going out for an early trip before crab season ends.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I have caught pretty good sized crabs in (or on) my shrimp pots right out in the bay by whittier in the summer. boy are they tasty :-) JK - we let them go - I heard that the fine was $1K apiece....

I don't know about this time of year, but I would think that there would be some around port wells...

Dungeness are closed (big fines), but tanner crab and golden king crab is open in Prince William sound (if you go get the permit from the F&G office). Were they dungies, kings or tanners?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

hey when does the season close?

Yeah, I thought it was closed unless you were waaaaay out there. I'd love to drop a pot for some crab if it's close.

March 31st. (Page 63 of the Southcentral booklet.)

I think they were all tanners. Definately not a dungie...LOL.

I really want to kill the bugs when I catch them - they eat all my shrimp. I have since found different spots without the crabs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I think they were all tanners. Definately not a dungie...LOL.

I really want to kill the bugs when I catch them - they eat all my shrimp. I have since found different spots without the crabs...
    Theres a mountain of Tanners in the sound. They haven't had a fishery since '88. If I get a rider on my shrimp pot I'm eating it! They do on the Solstice, the state research boat. I don't care if it is closed, Admiralty law trumps state law all day long, Admiralty law says whatever gets caught in your fishing gear is yours, bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Theres a mountain of Tanners in the sound. They haven't had a fishery since '88. If I get a rider on my shrimp pot I'm eating it! They do on the Solstice, the state research boat. I don't care if it is closed, Admiralty law trumps state law all day long, Admiralty law says whatever gets caught in your fishing gear is yours, bottom line
    But you're not an Admiral, FB.