Thread: want to buy a cataraft or raft

Default want to buy a cataraft or raft

i am looking for a cataraft or a raft for hunting and fishing this yr i am just seeing whats out their before i go buy a brand new one so if anybody has any thing for sale or knows someone that is selling let me know
    thanks wes

PM sent your way.

Hey Wes, I am selling my personal "SOTAR" raft. She is 15' long,21" tubes, 42" between the tubes. Made of 40oz.. urethane over 4,000 din. polyester. Not a self bailer, but rolls up small and weighs in at 84lb.
    This is the same raft danattherock has posted on the frame seat question on this forum, only newer I had them built at the same time.. I used her on about 3 trips. Just have too many rafts these days. $2,850

Man are you opening Pandoras box :-) Sent you a PM I also have a couple of used boats I had planned on putting out during the April show. couple of Otters, couple of Maxxons with frame, oars, pump and repair kit. Depending on what your needs BMR might be able to assist. Have you check Craig's list as well? Hope you find what your looking for.

Best of luck.

Moose-O

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey Wes, I am selling my personal "SOTAR" raft. She is 15' long,21" tubes, 42" between the tubes. Made of 40oz.. urethane over 4,000 din. polyester. Not a self bailer, but rolls up small and weighs in at 84lb.
    This is the same raft danattherock has posted on the frame seat question on this forum, only newer I had them built at the same time.. I used her on about 3 trips. Just have too many rafts these days. $2,850

I am in Anchorage till March 15th Goo. Met an old rafting buddy of yours, JJ, the other day. He said to tell you hello. Sure would like to take you up on that gumbo and beer offer. Shoot me a PM if you find time to feed two out of staters. The wife and I are off four days a week.

The raft is below. As you know, Sotar quoted me double what you are asking to make me one. I love my Sotar and thank you for selling it to me. Looks like the wife and I will be taking her down the Kobuk this Fall. Can't wait!

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanks guys for the quick response i am looking at all of them and will let u know i would like a bigger boat if anyone has one like 18" cataraft or something

I have a 16' Custom built "SOTAR", over sized tubes and extra fabric-- All urethane, their standard 40 oz. Fabric. New, Just not running as many trips as last season and thought i would pass on some good equipment, I also have a nice 15' raft for sale too.
    goo
    907-345-4308

15' round raft is about the same "size" as most 18' cats. The round boats are shorter, but haul more per foot of length & width.

A 20# frame packs lots better than a 200# one!! Thats why I personally like rafts on normal fly-in trips. Don't get me wrong-- Love those small kats on other type of play stuff.
    18' cat means at least 10+' oars--
    Goo

No kidding Goo. That is why I went with a round boat. Flying a cataraft frame up from NC would be (n0 fun). I designed a 27 lb break down frame and got Sawyer to make 9.5' three piece oars. It fits in a Sotar custom made dry bag. Slick (edited).

Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-02-2011 at 05:24.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Have you guys tried a stern frame. I really like them, better vision and more room i the middle for passengers. The only drawback is they are a little less manuverable. Probably better to start out on mid mount frame and then give a stern a try.

Quote Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
    i am looking for a cataraft or a raft for hunting and fishing this yr i am just seeing whats out their before i go buy a brand new one so if anybody has any thing for sale or knows someone that is selling let me know
    thanks wes

I see where you where you included 18' Cat in a later post. Very versatile boat for Alaska. Premier-quality 18' w/ larger diameter, continuous-curve, single-tube, double-chambered Catarafts have served me extremely well guiding, outfitting rentals, freighting light or heavy loads, big-water stability as well as technical steeper water clearances, 30+ miles out to sea on reflecting 8'-11' haystacks with outboard engines, etc.

No better choice if you where to have just about maximum versatility in an inflatable with excellent handling, safety, securing gear, and the ability to haul or spread out a load. I enjoy cat frame building and design. I would only ever consider the higher end cats of this 18' size. None of the truly far lesser quality stuff at whatever prices made in Asia are the boats they are made out to be!!!

If this is the Cataraft you are seeking (any raft really) new or used... for this thread, ya may consider adding what sort of price-range for the package. On a good Cat package - you must consider all components. Believe me, you do not want some needless accessorizing or creative designs that don't add up to what the 'inventor' (or anyone else) intentioned.

Used: Highest-quality w/ basic industry standard high-end components --- the 18' Cat in excellent, ready to float shape --- but past it's warranty should run you no more than $3000-4000. If this seems too high... you'll end up with a Cat that is likely someone's problems or just get more or less 'lucky' on the purchase find.

New: High-end again MSRP retail (not Alaska this or that +++) --- having everything industry-standards to excellent quality all the way around you start at $4000 and may expect $6500 to $1000 or so more for all the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images