Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone with kodiak bear tags!!!!

Default Everyone with kodiak bear tags!!!!

looking for information on your area??? judging by all the threads with hunt numbers DB something or other i'd say you are.
    Few tips right off the bat that will save you piles of time...

Contact John Crye at fish and game in kodiak 486-1880 ask him for specific questions, salmon runs, guides in the area, cabins, so on.

Contact the air service you intend to fly with...ask them.

Get the name of the guide working the area (from john crye), contact him and let him know you plan on hunting the area, when and that you want to respect what he has going...play nice and most of them will offer some advice to you that will help you stay clear of each other and maybe have a better trip because of it. To many guys do all their online research, fly to the bay and there sits a guide camp...do you have a plan B? the guide don't and he ain't moving. Some of the guides out there will help you find a location to hunt that they think will be good. They most all want to have a good reputation..tickin' off all the resident hunters don't help that at all.

This forum is best used for tips on gear, weather conditions, what worked and what didn't. You will eventully have to pick up a phone.
    best of luck to you all!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Rep +1 coming

This is good advice, but I would not be overly concerned with the needs of guides on Kodiak. In addition, it's not just guides you will have to contend with, but other resident hunters as well. Fortunately most, but not all, of the permit areas on Kodiak are quite large and offer plenty of room for several camps. I've hunted both Frazer Lake and Deadman Bay and never really noticed the other hunters even though at times there were three parties hunting each area. It is worth speaking with the guide in the area as they can be helpful, but I would not let them dictate where you should hunt. The air taxis know the traditional camps that most residents hunt out of and it is worthwhile to take their advice in that regard.

Wink

Jake

I talked to the guide in my area (Paul Chervenak) and it was a great talk . He was very friendly and even gave advice .
    We are to chat one more time before we leave for the hunt and he even invited us over for coffee if we cross paths while out in the area !!!!
    Roland will be our pilot again.
    Should be a good Spring hunt , April can not come quick enough .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I agree 100% with contacting the guides who will be in the area. I'll be hunting this spring in the same bay as Sam Rohrer and client. He was nothing but friendly when I shot him an email telling him what my plan was, so we could stay out of each others way. He even gave me a heads up on a few things that I wasn't aware of.

great examples guys of how a little common courtesy can really help out on a trip!
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR - as a guide, what is the ettiquite used when setting up multiple guide camps? If a guide wont be actively hunting in an area he has a camp set up, is it appropriate to camp nearby and hunt that general area (not abusing the camp site, or disturbing his setup in any way)?

I have a hard time reqlinquishing multiple prime hunting locations in a draw area because a guide has "staked out" the best hunting areas, especially if he isn't actively using them while I'm hunting. What are your thoughts?

thank you for the post, wish it would have been about 6 hrs sooner been doing the phone calls & internet check & have my fall hunt pretty well locked up but it's nice to see some people helping on here, instead of the garbage that i've seen "just because some one didn't win anything" this is the first tag i've won & evan tho it's nice, my life does not depend on it. I've hunted enouf & taken enouf game up here to know where to go after harvest ticket animals. thank you for your help BRWNBR

good stuff jake...advice that should be taken.

Rep inbound. Great advice.

akfowler, i've never seen a guide on kodiak with a camp set up that he isn't using..you have no way of knowing if he's using it or not. thats gotta be a personal call.
    i didn't write the book or give the workshop on hunting etique..just offereing some ideas that folks can help get a starting point for making their own decisions.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AKfowler View Post

"...I have a hard time reqlinquishing multiple prime hunting locations in a draw area because a guide has "staked out" the best hunting areas, especially if he isn't actively using them while I'm hunting. What are your thoughts?
    "...I have a hard time reqlinquishing multiple prime hunting locations in a draw area because a guide has "staked out" the best hunting areas,...". As well you should. Guides, should at least, already have a major advantage from the standpoints of knowledge of the area and hunting methods. Mutual agreements certainly can be reached, HOWEVER, they should not be based on the guide's operation or history of use in the area.
    Guides might not be setting up "dummy" camps but certainly not beyond the "ethics" of at least one to try and "cork out" residents from certain portions of a permit area.
    Joe

Unfortunately, all too often, these "agreements" are based on the "there is only one big marble" theory - too bad.

About two years ago I posted looking for some info on a Kodiak bear hunt. The first reply I got was from brwnbr with exactly the same advice he offers in this post. I had already talked to the fish and game folks in Kodiak but contacting the guide was something I had not really considered. I called Dick Rohr the next day and let him know where I was planning to camp. Mr. Rohr thanked me for communicating my plans and in return gave me some great advice about the area I had chosen to hunt. I took his advice and the result was a great bear. Iím not sure this would be a great strategy for other areas of the state where property rights are less defined. Exclusive guiding areas and very limited numbers of tags make Kodiak somewhat unique. This is great advice for Kodiak! Thanks brwnbr.

glad it worked out for you akteach...nice job following thru and making it happen!!
    Master guide 212

I've never contacted a guide before going hunting, and on my four previous trips to Kodiak bear hunting, I've seen guides on two of them. My situation is a little different than most, since I'm hunting on my own boat and can move around. When I've reached my hunting area, each time I've contacted the guide via radio and worked out an amicable relationship which usually involved daily exchanges of pleasantries. On those days when the weather is really crappy and the guide and his client have been out in the weather all day, the offer of a six or ten mile boat ride back to camp with a hot cup of coffee in my wheelhouse was always appreciated over an open skiff ride! I always make sure I'm out of his way, and don't go hiking around spreading scent that will drive bears to the next area.

A different story when I've encountered private parties out there. Nine times out of ten they think they are bear hunting, but all they are doing is camping in the area and driving the bears into hiding. No thought to scent drift or outboard noise. Impatiently stomping around. Only one time did the other private party in my hunting area score on a bear, and it was a 6-1/5 footer that wandered into their camp on the beach. Not bad people, just ignorant about hunting brown bears. FYI - the offer of coffee and a tow is extended to the private parties as well, along with some gentle hints that might improve their chances of getting a bear and not interfering with my hunt.

If you take the full two weeks allowed, have some means of mobility, and are patient, you will have an opportunity to bag a nice bear. I've had opportunities for bears over ten feet on every trip. I've personally taken a ten-six boar and usually try to get my hunting partner the first bear. Since I'm not interested in anything smaller than ten foot, I come home without a bear myself. Two ten-footers is a tall order on one hunt!!

If you are flying in and will be restricted to using a zodiak and a kicker on your hunt, BRWNBR's advice should be heeded. You will burn all your gas just going someplace you can hunt without being (rude) on top of a guide or other party, and you increase the likelihood that you will need some form of assistance if you are making daily five mile one-way boat trips and the weather comes up. And it does in Kodiak.

Good luck to all, enjoy Kodiak, and most of all, use some common sense and be safe!

I received an e-mail about a Kodiak bear hunt, seems somehow 2 tags are "left" after the draw.

The hunt would be the first week of May.

Any thoughts?

Great news from Jake.

I took his advices last spring and connected as well. Although the guide in my area picked a few colorful words to explain his point to me over the phone...so needless to say..glad we did not see each other...so be careful in dealing with them. Most of the ones I talked to were very generous on information. Keep in mind even though they may sound genuine..they have an agenda as well.

Few more tips that might help you out...
    Scent control: This is paramount in hunting bears. If they get a whiff of you, they will launch to the next GMU. You will most likely see tracks where they have traversed over the mountainsÖto easy for em to do this. get a great pair of optics, light good rain gear and a quality four season tent.
    Jake had told me to take the snowshoes..I did, and it made things much easier while hiking over the deep snow at higher elevations. Donít bring the long ones...stick with short quality shoes. In the morning you will be able to walk on top of the snow pretty easy with boots...by 10am..you will start busting through.

Glassing...you SHOULD spend almost all day glassing your landscape/hunting area. Find a great high vantage point that provides you a great commanding view of your area and stay there...go there early before the sun gets up, bring everything you will need to stay there all day away from you base camp or spike camp and be prepared to move out quickly for the hunt once you locate the bear.

Most all guides and hunters will try to locate a bear early (before noon) watch him and eventually he will go lay up for a few hours during the middle of the day (usual pattern). This is when you need to determine your path, distance and time and move in and get set up.
    If he is moving...keep in mind how fast they can cover terrain...they will move faster than you and it's difficult to cut them off if you canít constantly keep his location updated.

Fires, (lot of debate on this) we did not use one the whole ten days hunting. Jetboil was a lifesaver, I have always used a base camp fire on my hunts...great for the mind and body. Did not want to take that chance on this hunt.
    Transporters....I used Andrews Airways...great guys and great service. There are many great transporters on Kodiak. Start communicating with them early as Jake mentioned.

Plan on using all 15 days(10 at a min) for your hunt, Most of the hunters I talked to and the gents at A Airways mentioned they seldom see anyone out there more than 10 days. Timing is everything with spring bears, Try to communicate with someone on Kodiak and get weather updates leading up to your hunt. Some springs get warmer quicker than others and locals will have a better idea on predicting the pattern for this next spring. Example: When I talked to Larry Vandell (Kodiak Biologist) upon arriving he mentioned they had only harvested 19 bears, when he sealed my bear on 31 April it was number 109. He stated that the last three weeks on the season is typically warmer and when they see the harvest increase. When I go again, I will pick the 27th of April till the 10th of May.

Gear: you will be limited to weight by the transporters. I used quality pelican cases and it paid off verses duffel bags etc. Waterproof and easy to transport/stack in the plane. We carried 800lbs of gear and only used about 600lbs of it. Think lightÖ.
    Wind: You will have a prevailing wind no matter where you are on the island (in the spring mostly from the south) I witnessed calm days to 60mph winds, snow, pea size hail, to sunny days around 55 and lows in the high 20's on our 10 day hunt April 19-April 30. Kodiak is relentless when it comes to weather, be prepared.

Communication: I used rhino's to communicate with my buddy. Worked great, had a SAT phone in case of emergency (you can rent them in Anchorage) this prevented us from staying the remaining 5 days and allowed us to be picked up early.

Many of you have plenty of time to prepare for this hunt of a lifetime. Donít analyze it too much, get a good packing list, donít take a lot of items you will not need, get quality gear, obtain a great attitude and stay motivated and optimistic. You will go through an emotional rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the beauty of Kodiak through those binos! My 2 cents

If anyone is doing a DIY DB258/DB228 hit me up, I have everything you will need for this area.
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

By chance wouldn't a guide show the same consideration and call the permit winners and let them know where his camps might be,i've drawn my share of tags over the years and it's not uncommon for the guide to call you and let you know when and where he plans on hunting.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    ...i've drawn my share of tags over the years and it's not uncommon for the guide to call you and let you know when and where he plans on hunting.
    Really????????????

thats the first i've ever heard of that happening....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast