Thread: help to plan a trip

Default help to plan a trip

Hello, I need your help to plan a kayak trip of 3-4 days, through an easy river, 1 class water (no rapids: I and my bride are not expert!). No guided trip. Just easy water and wild place. We would like to sleep in campsite or cheap cabin, not free camping because of bears.
    I found something in Kenay peninsula but we will not go there (too much people), We will visit: interior, north to Wiseman, Kodiak and maybe south to Juneau.
    Plaese suggest me some website, where I can find some map also.

Thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by doolin View Post
    Hello, I need your help to plan a kayak trip of 3-4 days, through an easy river, 1 class water (no rapids: I and my bride are not expert!). No guided trip. Just easy water and wild place. We would like to sleep in campsite or cheap cabin, not free camping because of bears.
    I found something in Kenay peninsula but we will not go there (too much people), We will visit: interior, north to Wiseman, Kodiak and maybe south to Juneau.
    Plaese suggest me some website, where I can find some map also.

Thanks to all
    If you travel by car and the road system... I'd rent inflatable two 1-person or one tandem. Have kayaks (or 2-person kayak ) along for your journey, and paddle mostly great day trip outings that will better serve your cabin or organized campsite sleeping arrangements.

Going 3-4 days with any mileage you'll find the majority of Alaska rivers/streams (even easy ones) do not entail overnight cabins (no hut-to hut system logistics) or what most would define as organized camping places. Contingencies would be few as well when this is the only mode of preparedness and stay.

I'd have to agree with you on the 'Kenai road system' unless you are sea-kayaking, mountain biking, or hiking. The place is crowded!!!

I can suggest some good floats on class-1, easygoing water with few to no people for 3-4 days... but would not recommend anything on moving water of any real distances per day based on your perspective sleeping arrangements/logistics. Having the needs of cabins and/or camping-grounds are better suiting to sea-kayaking, remote lakes, etc.

I'd recommend PM'ing member AlaskaCanoe.

His name is Max.

You can get your kayaks from him and likely anything else you'll need.

He can likely show you a good route to take to a NFS cabin and maybe even help provide a link to rent it (or I will).

You and your bride will have a trip of a lifetime.

A fun trip on class one water that i enjoy is the koktuli river or the stuyahok rivers.
    This is a fly out trip and you can arrange that trip through Glen Alsworth in Port Alsworth / Lake Clark..
    He can pick you up in Anchorage and then fly you out to his place in ports Alsworth , then float plane to headwaters.
    you can then take out on the Mulchatna river at various points that can be arranged based on the miles you want to paddle.
    As far as being crowded, the kenai road system is busy a place in the summer from the 15th of July to the first week of August, the kenai river itself is very busy, but the lakes and rivers a few miles in from the Kenai river seldom have visitors at all in the entire summer months.
    during the strong Sockeye salmon runs the lakes see almost no attention and would make for excellent remote and pristine adventure.
    many of our groups each season report not seeing anouther party during their canoe adventure into the 120 miles of interconnecting lakes rivers and trails.
    There are cabins in the system and cost is about $45 per night.
    I can promise you that it will not be crowded in the kenai canoe trail system, and we can pick a route that is seldom used, but very enjoyable and beautiful.
    Last year we had several groups that came to us that had returned from climbing Denali. These groups were able to complete the climb in quicker time than they had allowed themselves, and still wanted to do some exploring in alaska.
    We recieved the same comment from several of them that they saw fewer people on the canoe system than they did anywhere else in alaska including the climb to the summit of Denali...
    Also,, you may want to consider Nancy lakes area also for a great trip on flat water with interconnecting trails and excellent camping.
    you can rent equipment from an outfit near that location.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks to all!
    Now I have a lot of work to do, I will study your answers (some problem with english) and then I will ask you something else.

Familyman: I bought the flight!!!! 31 july - 27 August yeahhhhhh!!!!

Default Congratulations to you and your new bride!

Quote Originally Posted by doolin View Post
    Familyman: I bought the flight!!!! 31 july - 27 August yeahhhhhh!!!!
    I tip a cold one to you sir.... Hey wait, aren't you right now just about on the complete other side of the planet? Doesn't seem right to look down and know you're that direction! (just kidding)

You'll have a great trip here, and meet many wonderful people, I guarantee it!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I tip a cold one to you sir.... Hey wait, aren't you right now just about on the complete other side of the planet? Doesn't seem right to look down and know you're that direction! (just kidding)

You'll have a great trip here, and meet many wonderful people, I guarantee it!
    Sorry, I was very busy!
    Yes, I'm that direction, but not buried!

About Canoe, thanks for advices. So you say that Kenai backcountry is not so full of people... Ok, good information becouse I read about swan lake canoe route and liked it, but I thought it was crowded...

About Nancy lake: is it a wild place?
    I read about Chena river, in the Interior, it seems to be nice.
    Onother canoe route I read about is in the Yukon flats, it seems to be very wild, and I think it should be very good for big pikes also, does someone know it?

Sleeping in campground or cabin is limiting, I understand, but my bride doesn't want sleeping into the wild because of bears... I don't understand if it is dangerous or not: someone says yes, someother not, I don't have experience and so I'm quite confused...