Thread: Any one with Mussels???

Default Any one with Mussels???

I was asked by Marcus to start a thread on mussels where to get them, I get them in Ressurection Bay, but the culvert, on lowtide, I get the larger ones as the smallers aren't much meat, but a qt size pan full of larger mussels & you got yourself a meal...

Anyone else out there get mussels?

I have tried them from Seward, Homer, PWS and Whittier. I must be doing something wrong, as I have not acquired the taste for them yet. How do you prepare them. I have boiled them in salt water, plain water, blanched and fried, even tried one raw. None of that seemed to work for me. I just don't think I like the taste of them. I am ok with clams of every kind, fish of every kind, even the sea cucumbers, but not mussels.

Default Camping

When camping on PWS I pick them at low tide and place them arond the campfire until they steam open. Suckem down with a little butter. Not a problem and good eating.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave,
    That I haven't tried, but food always tastes best cooked over an open fire. My problem has always been finding dry wood in PWS Ha I will try it given to opportunity though. Will they keep very long, if kept on ice?

Default Yes

I am sure they will last on ice. We used to fillup burlap bags full up in Glouster Mass. and drive have way across New York state to ge home. They were always good.

Dry wood in PWS? I did not know that there was any dry wood out there.
    Take a plastic shoping bag of dry kindling with newspaper mixed in and a couple of bigger pieces. Seal it up with duct tape and you have a campfire stater worthy of PWS.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question Questions. . .

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I was asked by Marcus to start a thread on mussels where to get them, I get them in Ressurection Bay, but the culvert, on lowtide, I get the larger ones as the smallers aren't much meat, but a qt size pan full of larger mussels & you got yourself a meal...

Anyone else out there get mussels?
    Thanks, gogoalie. I'm interested in what kind of habitat one looks for when trying to harvest mussels. . . hardly ever get to Seward, but do get to Deep Creek, Ninilchik, and the Anchor from time to time.

Besides habitat, some real beginner questions:
    What constitutes a "larger" mussel?
    How do you care for them once harvested. . . in a bucket of sea water?
    How about cleaning and cooking?

The only mussels I've ever eaten were bought at Fred Meyers and would sure like to try some fresh.

Thanks. . .

Thumbs up BIG mussels

These can be found over in China Poot. Many times when I have been duck hunting there and have had to wait for the tide, I have gathered a bucket or two of mussels. Sometimes I have brought home mussels instead of duck!

Best eaten steamed with plenty of butter, garlic, salt and pepper.

Be careful, they retain PSP more than any other shellfish, I think

Default Good questions...

"What constitutes a "larger" mussel?
    How do you care for them once harvested. . . in a bucket of sea water?
    How about cleaning and cooking?"

Mussels come in all sorts of sizes, smaller being under 1/2" to some that can be up to 3" long...I like the 3"'s myself, more meat...

I just stick them in a bucket or pan of seawater, like clams...

Cleaning, leave them in the seawater (keep cool) for about 1/2 hr or so, & then I boil them in fresh tap water...shuck 'em & eat 'em

Default China Poot Bay

Across from homer spit, the opening is just to the right of Gull rock. You must go in before the tide is out. they are evey where and very easy to gather. Just clean off the little muscle that attaches them to the rocks. I like boiling them with onions, potatos, clams, raindeer sausage, and cajun spices. This is a great dinner for a group of 5-10 people. I make it down there every summer and this dinner i think about having all year. You can also get plenty of little neck clams while in China poot. These clams are very easy to get, as the can't dig away like the razors. The only thing is you need a boat to get there.

good luck

Always check with adfg before eating muscles can't be too careful with PSP
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

When I grew up in Maryland I use to eat them all the time. Since I moved here I have not gone out and tried any. I might this summer when I head out to Whitter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Steam them in a good white wine or a pino and eat them right at the stove. I pour off the juice and drink it.......I gotta go...

Speaking of mussels & clams, are the littleneck clams same as the steamers? I've got friends who have a lodge in Petersen Bay, next door to China Poot and have gotten steamers there; wonder if they're the same? What do you guys think about running over there in a kenai riverboat? I haven't been there for 7 years, but I think it's pretty close to Homer.
    Mussels are great!
    Jim

Big Jim,
    Ive gone across to China poot, Halibut cove and Tutka all in my 18' flatbottom riverboat. In good weather, but got into 3'-4' waves coming back from Tutka once, slow and easy but a little hair-raising.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Beware the Rip!

The entrance to China Poot has a really scarey rip at certain stages of the tide... can't remember what the situation was, and it might have something to do with the wind countering an outgoing tide, or....
    Anyway I do remember my 20' Olympic almost standing on end between the entrance and Gull Island. Would have hated doing it in a river boat. Also, when the tide runs in that bay, either incoming or outgoing, it is like a river, especially after a minus. I had to cut my anchor line once when I was anchored out duck hunting (went ashore with a small rubber boat), and even with full power on the I/O it wouldn't give me enough slack to pull it up. Not fun!