Thread: 4-7 raft trip

Default 4-7 raft trip

I am working in Delta Junction for the summer and am looking for a guide outfit that provides week long raft trip, class II-III. any suggestions?

Gulkana River would seem to be the obvious choice. I think there are a couple outfitters/guides on these boards that service that stream. A week long trip could go from Paxon Lake all the way to the end. Another option would be the Chitina River from McCarthy, or a near by fly-in option, and float out to Chitina. Or start in Chitina and float the Copper River to Cordova. I know there are outfitters that do both of these, but they are not cheap.

Of these, I prefer the Chitina River unless you're looking to do some fishing, then the choice would be the Gulkana. Lot more people on the Gulkana though.

The Alaska BLM office http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/gulkana_nwr.html has lots of information on several river excursions. Just take a few minutes and peruse through their website. Good luck and be safe.

I would contact Mike and Jen at Alaska River Wrangellers 1-907-822-3967 they will also be at the Fairbanks Outdoor Show in Mid April. first rate people who run a frist rate business. Don't tell them I sent you they might charge you more :-). They offer both the Gulkana and the Copper River trips Jim mentioned they are also customize some trips that are in some very neat places to fish and enjoy AK. Jim is spot on for a fun trip guided or self guided running from Paxson down to the Richardson Bridge or flying into Dickey Lake and floating all the way down.

Best Wishes

Richard " Moose" Mousseau
    BMR