Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC481 info is hard to find.

Default DC481 info is hard to find.

My friend Chris and I don't even remember putting in for DC481 when we applied for about a dozen party drawings but we got it and now we intend to hunt it. Problems are, we aren't familier with the area and since it is a new hunt there seems to be no data available for DC481.

I intend to make a couple of scouting trips up there this summer but I think that a headstart online might not be a bad idea either. If anyone knows a better name for the area between the Susitna and Talkeetna Rivers from near Talkeetna east toward Lake Louise that could help a lot. Also, if anyone who has hunted this unit knows what forms of access are available/best during the fall season and also from Oct. 21 through winter that would be nice. Can one get across the Talkeetna with a 4 wheeler on the power line or would that be insane?

I suppose the grid coordinates where a couple of bodacious big bulls might be hanging out would be nice too, but we'll settle for whatever you guys might be willing to throw our way to get this planning started. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    My friend Chris and I don't even remember putting in for DC481 when we applied for about a dozen party drawings but we got it and now we intend to hunt it. Problems are, we aren't familier with the area and since it is a new hunt there seems to be no data available for DC481.

I intend to make a couple of scouting trips up there this summer but I think that a headstart online might not be a bad idea either. If anyone knows a better name for the area between the Susitna and Talkeetna Rivers from near Talkeetna east toward Lake Louise that could help a lot. Also, if anyone who has hunted this unit knows what forms of access are available/best during the fall season and also from Oct. 21 through winter that would be nice. Can one get across the Talkeetna with a 4 wheeler on the power line or would that be insane?

I suppose the grid coordinates where a couple of bodacious big bulls might be hanging out would be nice too, but we'll settle for whatever you guys might be willing to throw our way to get this planning started. Thanks a lot.
    That would be the Nelchina herd. Just search for unit 13 and/or nelchina caribou and you will find an almost endless amount of data on hunting that herd.

WOW!!!! Please Guys!!!! Do your research BEFORE you put in for a Tag!!!

That was one Tag I really wanted! Already had my spot picked out. Hard area to access without an Airplane. No 4-wheelers and VERY limited to boats. Good Luck....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    WOW!!!! Please Guys!!!! Do your research BEFORE you put in for a Tag!!!
    Happens WAAAAY too often every year. I'll just leave it at that...

[QUOTE=SuperCub;897857]WOW!!!! Please Guys!!!! Do your research BEFORE you put in for a Tag!!!

Uh, yeah. That's typically the drill but as stated, this was possibly unintentional but we intend to make the best of it since it's the only thing we won.

I would say sorry, SuperCub, but the truth is that I'm elated that we got anything. Besides, I'm always for expanding out of the Peninsula from time to time. Now about that "spot" you have picked out.....

With that said, we are not beyond flying in if necessary and will be researching local drop off services. Maybe float one of the rivers. Snowmachines? We will be making good use of these permits, one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Happens WAAAAY too often every year. I'll just leave it at that...
    Agreed.... I think he'll figure it out on his first scouting trip.... ha ha ha

How did you accidently put in for Tag? Really???

Ya know, if you're calling me a dumb ass for getting this permit then fine but the fact is I do have a permit and I'm pretty freaking good with that!

I said Good Luck....

Yup, you did. But that's not all you said. Anyway, the accident thing must have happened as we were doing the drawing thing over the phone while at work and as I said, we put in for a lot of hunts. The idea was to get something near where we normally hunt or closer to home so we were both puzzled when we got picked for this one. Whatever, it should be a lot of fun just the same.

I always thought that hunting in alaska was about seeking new adventures and experiencing different hunting opportunities. I don't understand how forum members can get upset over someone drawing a tag that the hunter intends on utilizing. I drew the tag too and am just beginning to research the area cause I know nothing about it. Sorry if that upsets some, but dont worry I wont ask for help on a "sportsman" forum.

Enter dramatic music...............

Big state..Lots of rules.

Hard to draw a tag via accident.

Fade dramatic music.............

Quote Originally Posted by aksquirrel View Post
    I always thought that hunting in alaska was about seeking new adventures and experiencing different hunting opportunities. I don't understand how forum members can get upset over someone drawing a tag that the hunter intends on utilizing. I drew the tag too and am just beginning to research the area cause I know nothing about it. Sorry if that upsets some, but dont worry I wont ask for help on a "sportsman" forum.

It is but not by accident. If you step in water you need to know it will be wet.

Good luck guys! I truly hope it turns out to a hunt of a lifetime.

You can and will get tons of info from this site.

Be safe and kill some food!

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Big state..Lots of rules.

Hard to draw a tag via accident.

It is but not by accident. If you step in water you need to know it will be wet.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here but I suppose when you live for hunting and put in for a lot of permits you might just do something on a whim just for another chance to draw something. I hope every hunt turns into the hunt of a lifetime and most have for me. Heck, I just finished up some mighty fine Kodiak blacktail backstrap only minutes ago and relived another hunt of a lifetime with every bite. I do appreciate the well wishes and I hope we all kill some food this year.

Squirrel, you hang in there and don't let a few smarties who didn't draw permits get you down. Except swampdonkey that is,who will be after bou right near us after he gets his sheep. Anyway, there is a lot of great info on this site although sometimes it requires a bit of a thick skin to get it. I hope to get some good info from your posts this summer on this unit.

I know what you mean about drawing a tag you didnt put in for. Like you I wont be sending it back.

I really thought this forum was for alaskans! alaskans help other alaskans!
    instead of getting mad and putting this guy down give him some info help him out!
    Or is that to nice of you to do that.
    Good luck to you guys on your hunt and I hope you can fill your tag and freezer.
    If I had some info on that area I would help ya out.

I'm not going to read every post in this thread, so if it's been covered I appologize.

You will not access these caribou by ATV from Talkeetna in any shape or form. Simple as that. You would have better odds coming from the east but even that is going to require an off-road expidition. It is very rare to even see caribou west of Prairie Creek during the hunting season.

Your best bet is to fly in. Alaska Bush Floatplane service in Talkeetna handles that area quite a bit during moose season, so they'd be my first call.

For winter access, the only limit is your fuel and your sense of adventure. I have covered pretty much everything west of Prairie Creek by snowmachine in certain winters as long as there is sufficient snow. No less than a dozen different ways to get in there. I've also been to the eastern side of that permit area by sled from Eureka. If it were me, and I didn't want to pay for an airplane, I would do it on a sled in March of '12.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I congratulate you on your tag, I hope you find some info on this hunt.

Keep in mind also that this hunt could be shut down early by emergency order once the harvest objective is reached. There are about 3,100 tier I permits out there on top of the permits for the other 4 drawing hunts. The tier I guys get a head start on the hunt. If the quota is reached early, it could get shut down in a coulpe of weeks. I wouldn't expect that necessarily, but there is a chance if the quota is low enough and we won't know the quota until much closer to hunt time. I would be surprised if there was any amount of a winter hunt with this one this time around, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    Yup, you did. But that's not all you said. Anyway, the accident thing must have happened as we were doing the drawing thing over the phone while at work and as I said, we put in for a lot of hunts. The idea was to get something near where we normally hunt or closer to home so we were both puzzled when we got picked for this one. Whatever, it should be a lot of fun just the same.
    That's the ONE area I didn't put in for, as I knew nothing about it.

Why don't you explain the problem to your boss, since the problem occurred while working? At the least, he may give you all the time in the world to do your scouting this summer?

Reps to all positive posts! Thanks you guys, this is some helpful info. I'm looking forward to this hunt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast