Thread: 2011 Delta Sheep Hunt

Default 2011 Delta Sheep Hunt

So, lightning has struck, and me a my buddy drew the early delta sheep hunt. I don't want to leave this one on the procrastination back burner. Anyone out there with experience in this area have good ideas where to start the journey? Already planning a scouting trip in July, and don't want to be aimlessly walking aroundout there.

Thanks

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Are you planning on hiking/biking in or are you going to charter a flight? If you plan on a flight you better book quick before the best dates are taken. It can be a 15 to 25 mile jaunt to where the sheep are!

check the link below

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...phunting.delta

My buddy drew this tag last year and shot a 39" ram opening day. Where he went was no big secret. But he did start walking 2 days prior and was in 20+ miles before he made base camp. Grab a third guy with a strong back and too much time on his hands to help you pack.

A scouting trip in July is a good idea. He did likewise. Plenty of sheep, but just because it's DCUA doesn't mean they come easy.

Pursue happiness with diligence.

If I had this permit again I would fly in to one of the strips along the Johnson River and start walking from there. There is some very rough country on the west side of the Johnson Glacier and there are also some very nice rams in that area. I would suggest flying with M&M or Golden Eagle, both out of Delta Junction.

We are planning on walking, both of us enjoy working hard for animals. I am initially thinking about going up through the black rapids training area, and over the hill. Crossing the river, and going up the black rapids glacier area may be an idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teagarden View Post
    We are planning on walking, both of us enjoy working hard for animals. I am initially thinking about going up through the black rapids training area, and over the hill. Crossing the river, and going up the black rapids glacier area may be an idea too.
    Good luck. Sounds like you've got it all dialed in.

Castner creek trail right off the Hwy will take you right in there to them (16.6 miles as the crow flies) ........or go off the ALcan and access the Gerstle like everybody else does.

Ive never hunt it, but I know alot friends that have, I never put in for it, cause I feel they give out way too many tags for this area....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Ive never hunt it, but I know alot friends that have, I never put in for it, cause I feel they give out way too many tags for this area....
    You feel that harvest is constraining trophy potential?

I got a sheep on my DS204 permit 2 years ago. PM me if you want a little info. It sounds like you got DS203, which means you'll probably be in for a little more walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Teagarden View Post
    I would suggest first talking with the local wildlife biologist regarding the Black Rapids glacier area. I could be wrong but, I don't think the ram # are all that good in that area.

I drew that tag last year, I agree with trout about contacting the Bio in Delta Junction. I was on the fence about which area to go until I talked to him, very helpful. I also received alot of good info from folks on this site. My advise, pack light.....it's a long walk back with a heavy pack!! Good Luck