Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting rifle

Default Sheep hunting rifle

I'm looking for a good rifle to take on a sheep hunt. What do you reccomend, use? Thanks

280 Rem topped with a Zeiss 3.5-10 44mm

I'm using a Nosler M48 Sporter in .300WSM. Kinda overkill for sheep but just right for most other stuff.

Killed my Ram last year with a .30-06 and 150 grain Barnes X bullets.

Also killed a small grizz with it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

teeeeeekaaaaa
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The choices are only limited by you finances. I have a few and would be happy to let you handle them if you would like since you are in Fairbanks. Sheep are not that hard to kill, but often require longer shots so flat shooting rifles are desirable. More importantly is they often share their mountain home with toothy critters that are not so easy to kill so I like the 30 cal family. I even have a custom 300WSM for sale, ready to hunt.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a weatherby mark V ultralight in a 280 rem topped with a VX3 2.5x8. I shot 140 barnes and it is a great combo. I use that in the mountains and I use a cooper in a 338-06 for everything else.

Depends on how much weight you want, and how much you are willing to spend. I'd look at a Kimber Montana as a good out of the box rifle. You could probably find a good deal on one that is scratched up, and save a little money.

Now if you wanted to have the very best long range but still light rifle; you would buy my "NEW" in the box Winchester M-70 Stainless "Classic" in .300 Remington ULTRA Magnum.

This comes up often and here is an excellent thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tweight+rifles

Enjoy this part of the hunt prep, makes it all the sweeter come fall. Get the rifle of your choice as soon as you can and shoot as much as possible. Opportunities in the sheep mountains come and go swiftly and being familiar and proficient with your rifle of choice is often the difference in success or failure.
    Founding Member

I think a rifle that fits ya and shoots well takes precedence over being uber lightweight. A 7.5 pound gun all up is a very nice package IMO and can be found in many makes and models of rifles. Find a rifle you like in a caliber you prefer and can afford to shoot some to get proficient and go with it.

Granted I went with a little Kimber Montana that is 6 lbs all up scope and rings and all, but I like the way it fits me and how well its shoots. The fact that it is super light weight (5.1 pounds for the rifle) is just a bonus. Whatever you do don't buy a good mountain rifle and mount the hubble telescope too it though. A simple 40mm objective if more than enough IMO.

I am a huge believer in taking a spare rifle scope to camp. Which is why I love Quick Release rings, as you can have a back-up scope all sighted in........just twist the leavers and it is on. Other than plane crashes, and goat hunts, if you do enough sheep hunts sooner or later you will fall and smash your scope. The back-up scope can be a 2.5X fixed power if that is what you have available.

If your hunting sheep, your gonna want a custom....you'll want to spend at least $5K, then you'll know you got a good sheep rifle !!!!....then you can think about optics..........

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If your hunting sheep, your gonna want a custom....you'll want to spend at least $5K, then you'll know you got a good sheep rifle !!!!....then you can think about optics..........
    I think you are on to something.... I wonder if the wife will buy that I actually HAVE to buy a NULA...

I've been recently thinking about this topic as well and have done some research. I am on a very limited budget so Kimbers, Blasers and more custom rifles are out of my price range. I'm going to get a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 with Talley rings and a Leupold 3x-9x ultralight scope. The package should be right about 7 pounds unloaded and less than $1k total.

The Tikka is nearly half a pound lighter than anything else in its price range. The Loopy 3-9 ultralight is under 9 oz, where most 3-9's are 12-16 oz. and the Talley rings are a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I've been recently thinking about this topic as well and have done some research. I am on a very limited budget so Kimbers, Blasers and more custom rifles are out of my price range. I'm going to get a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 with Talley rings and a Leupold 3x-9x ultralight scope. The package should be right about 7 pounds unloaded and less than $1k total.

The Tikka is nearly half a pound lighter than anything else in its price range. The Loopy 3-9 ultralight is under 9 oz, where most 3-9's are 12-16 oz. and the Talley rings are a no brainer.
    A superb choice for the anyone on a budget.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I agree +1

For this year, I'll be carrying my trusty 25-06 Ruger M77 with standard Ruger rings and bases and a 3-9 Leopold VXII with a large 50mm. Sorry Alaska Lanche, I had to mount a large objective to get a handle on my gun. It's not for light gathering necessarly. It's a pig but a choice I made this year. I put my extra gear money into lightening up my tent, bag, and clothing. Oh, and gym/pool fees.

The only thing I don't particularly like about this round is how it likes to drift with the wind.

Next year will be my new rifle year.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with this, and fact is, in my opinion,
    even if you had extra $$, those Tikkas are Phenomenal barrel/actions. Hard to beat for any $

Just ran my sixtieth round through a new .243 in Tikka T-3 lite, and that thing is so unbelievable smooth and accurate,
    I am completely blown away by the excellence

I had the potential budget for a Browning X-bolt in the same, at least a couple hundred more, and in retrospect, I don't think I could have done better than the Tikka, budget or not,

Those Finlanders know how to build rifles..... Good Choice in .270 you'll love it.
    Just wait til you get a feel of that Bolt sliding into place, just Surreally Smooth.

PS ya do gotta watch that budget thing tho, I got into a rifle, all the way to kodiak for $625, slapped a Nikon Fixed 4x on it that I had laying around, ohh so inexpensive,
    but now, after shooting it some,
    I'm already shopping for the Hubble Telescope to mount on there,
    Gotta take advantage of that accuracy and velocity you know
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post

You can buy used, and have the much better rifle, for the same amount of cash.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast