Thread: 35 whelen/350rem for brown bear??

Default 35 whelen/350rem for brown bear??

Just curious if anyone uses the 35 whelen or 350 rem mag for brown bear?Sure dumps blackies and mtn grizz with a 250gr partition@ around 2550fps. just curious if anyone has experience with htese 2 on big brownies

My firsthand experience with a Whelen has been on one incident. I wasn't the shooter, but i was there. We did a DLP kill on a medium brown bear last year with one. One of the guys I work with bought a Ruger M77 in .35 Whelen for bear hunting while his guns were in storage. He worked up a handload using 225 Sierra Gamekings and RL15 (I think). Anyways after many attempts at discouragement, Mr. Bear wasn't getting the message. He shot the bear from an elevated position out at about 100yrds. The bear reacted like he's just been driven down into the dirt and stayed put. Another shot was fired to make sure, but he didn't even react to the second one.
    Now what ?

While searching for some info on the history of the .44 Mag earlier today I happened to stumble accross an article in the Dec. 1956 American Rifleman: "The .35 Whelen As A Hunting Rifle" by Col Townsend Whelen, USA (Ret'd).

The good Col. felt the .35 Whelen was best with the .275 and 300 gr bullets - lighter bullets were for targets a .30-06 could handle. He compare the .35 Whelen to the .350 Rigby which also used the heavier bullets and was well regarded in Africa.

Hard to argue with the good Col.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Just curious if anyone uses the 35 whelen or 350 rem mag for brown bear?Sure dumps blackies and mtn grizz with a 250gr partition@ around 2550fps. just curious if anyone has experience with htese 2 on big brownies
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've only used it on the smaller interior variety thus far but it seems to hammer them with aplomb. I would have zero reservations about using my Whelen on coastal brown bears. An I'm "only" getting 2450fps with 250s in my 20"bbl.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    While searching for some info on the history of the .44 Mag earlier today I happened to stumble accross an article in the Dec. 1956 American Rifleman: "The .35 Whelen As A Hunting Rifle" by Col Townsend Whelen, USA (Ret'd).

The good Col. felt the .35 Whelen was best with the .275 and 300 gr bullets - lighter bullets were for targets a .30-06 could handle. He compare the .35 Whelen to the .350 Rigby which also used the heavier bullets and was well regarded in Africa.

Hard to argue with the good Col.
    Hard to argue with the Col if all you have are 1956 cup and core bullets... That technology was surpassed many years ago...

Hard to justify the larger diameter with today's bullets and the advantage of two holes per bullet. I have shot quite a few critters with the Whelen and especially the AI version... Shooting soft stuff and any cup and core is going to be about the same... for bigger bears I would look to the 225 TSX based on my experiences with X, XLC, XFB, and TSX bullets...

With modern powders and thus the better velocities the 250gr partition would be my go to bullet thuo the 250gr speer or hornady would be just fine.

The 225gr sierra seem to spit its core with just about .358 expantion of the o-give area and that scares me This is just from bullets dug from my sand back stop not any bullet test. But no other bullet doe that not REMs, Hornadys, wins, speers, or the partition. The range from perfect (partitions) to turned inside out as in a 200gr silvertip, but I expect that with 6 inches of penitration in sand. But little to none except for just at the ogive realy seems wrong. I have reserve them to target ammo.

I'm getting ~2700 FPS with 225 Nosler Part's out of my 350 RM. I'd have no compunction about using it on Browns.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.