Thread: Burbot in the Big Su

Default Burbot in the Big Su

Are there Burbot in the big su? We were thinking of riding out there and setting some burbot lines. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I do not have experience setting burbot lines but I have caught burbot at the mouth of Montana Creek in late August. They are there but I have only seen a handful pulled in and they werent anything to brag about.

Default Pt. Mckenzie

This will be down by Pt. Mckenzie, we would like to set some lines and head up to Alexander Lake, check them on the way back. Just an idea I have had floating around in my head for a while. If anyone has information on this I would appreciate it.

I've heard of quite a few caught at the mouth of Radiduex Creek
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up

Yes there are burbot in the big su,anywhere you find a slough that come into contact with the big su you'll find burbot. Caswell is another good spot,lots of unnamed sloughs.....that produce,even the mouth of the Deshka.

Lots of big burbot at the mouth of every tributary. 15 to 18 pounders are taken every now and then. Problem is they are slow biters, and the action is slow. You cannot set a line and leave it unattended anymore. Those days are long gone. You must attend the line, don't know why, other than the regs say so. Doesn't leave room for playing around or going on to another fishing hole to try for things like pike. Therefore pike are the most sought after. You can wait all night for 5 burbot or go catch 50 pike. Can't do both at the same time though.

you can leave setlines out on the susitna but they must be tended once every 24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    you can leave setlines out on the susitna but they must be tended once every 24 hours
    Hmmm,
    The local brown shirts I have spoken with, go with the regs, that say they "must be closely attended". One guy I know, got a ticket for going back up to his cabin about a mile away, having dinner and returning. Even had his name on the string. No denying it that way. He thought the same thing, as long his his name and # was on the line, he was good to go. Guess it depends on the LEO and how they interpret the regs on the day you get checked. Lucky for him, there were no fish on the line, so it only cost him a hundred dollars. Lost the line with hooks for evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Hmmm,
    The local brown shirts I have spoken with, go with the regs, that say they "must be closely attended". One guy I know, got a ticket for going back up to his cabin about a mile away, having dinner and returning. Even had his name on the string. No denying it that way. He thought the same thing, as long his his name and # was on the line, he was good to go. Guess it depends on the LEO and how they interpret the regs on the day you get checked. Lucky for him, there were no fish on the line, so it only cost him a hundred dollars. Lost the line with hooks for evidence.
    p. 44 of the regs - The burbot fishing gear is closely attende by the angler, except in the flowing waters of the susitna and yentna rivers, where line must be tended to once each 24 hours.

if i was him i'd be fighting that ticket if he was on the susitna or yentna

No, he set the line at the confluence of the Deshka and Su. More so in the Deshka itself, probably a couple hundred yards up the Deshka along the high bank. There is still a hard current in the Su during winter. I have tried putting line in the Su itself. It was so fast a ten pound weight would not settle. Not sure about the depth, as a fifty foot line went out and down, never reaching the bottom. This was at the confluence of the Su and Deshka. I never did well for burbot in real fast water either. Always caught them in slack water, or at where fresh water melts into the silty water.

Default sloughs

Ok. I have never been on the Big Susitna River. I can't wait to get my jet boat this June though, because I'm going to be all over it.
    When you guys refer to "sloughs", is there current, or is it just a big slack channel? I grew up driving a jet boat to work from the age of 16 and I can read the river well, but on ice? What do I look for to find a slough? Are there lots of them?

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Ok. I have never been on the Big Susitna River. I can't wait to get my jet boat this June though, because I'm going to be all over it.
    When you guys refer to "sloughs", is there current, or is it just a big slack channel? I grew up driving a jet boat to work from the age of 16 and I can read the river well, but on ice? What do I look for to find a slough? Are there lots of them?

Some of the side sloughs are slack. It all depends on when and where. Kroto Slough can be very shallow, there is a HUMP where it meets the Big Su.

If you are out there when I am, I will show you a couple that I go to.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Some of the side sloughs are slack. It all depends on when and where. Kroto Slough can be very shallow, there is a HUMP where it meets the Big Su.

If you are out there when I am, I will show you a couple that I go to.
    And... Kroto can be very deep. Even in winter, it has a couple of holes that are 15 feet deep. Winter fishing can be very confusing to those that don't know the river channels or seen them in summer. To set a line in winter, and determine whether or not you are in the main stems of the Su or Yentna, or in one of the tributaries or side sloughs, well, lets just say it could become debatable. Careful going up or down sloughs with a jet boat, as you can become high and dry real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And... Kroto can be very deep. Even in winter, it has a couple of holes that are 15 feet deep. Winter fishing can be very confusing to those that don't know the river channels or seen them in summer. To set a line in winter, and determine whether or not you are in the main stems of the Su or Yentna, or in one of the tributaries or side sloughs, well, lets just say it could become debatable. Careful going up or down sloughs with a jet boat, as you can become high and dry real quick.

Been there! Done that, got the backache!