Thread: Left Handed Rifle Question

Default Left Handed Rifle Question

Hi folks,

It seems no matter where I hunt in Alaska I end up getting soaking wet... I currently have a Model 70 300WSM and like it but I'd like to upgrade to something stainless and synthetic to help combat the water. I don't think of ss as an excuse to not take care of my equipment but it would help prevent pitting while in the field.

Anyway, two rifles that come to mind are the Remington Model 700 XCR and the Browning X-Bolt. Anyone have any experience with either? I can't find anything saying they are offered for lefties but maybe I'm mistaken. Any other stainless/synthetic left handed rifles you'd recommend?

As for caliber, I'm currently leaning towards a 338 win but not firm on that yet.

Any thoughts?

Check out the A-bolt on Browning's website. You could always have a custom rifle made too, but custom rifles can be a budget-buster - depending on what you'd like to spend

I'm a lefty and own the browning a-bolt stainless staker in the .375h&h. they make it in 338 as well. I love the gun.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have a Browning A-Bolt LH stainless in .338. Bought it the first year it was available. (1990 I think). It has been an exceptional firearm. Shoots really well. I also have a stainless LH .375 Ruger. I like this one even more. Mostly because it has a shorter barrel and carries well.

Tikka makes several models for lefties. The T3 Stainless Lite model (http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?litess) comes in many calibers:
    including: 25-06 Rem, 6.5x55 SE, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 8x57IS, 9.3x62, 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 270 Win Short Mag, 300 Win Short Mag.
    Good luck.

Husband has an x-bolt - he really likes it. He says it comes in lefty.

A buddy has the Savage left hand SS comp. in 338

+1 on the savage. Good rifles. Stainless with a composite stock.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have a tikka left hand and love it, also have a SS ruger that I had re barreled to 35W both good rifles.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I have several left handed rifles in both wood/blued and s/s. The Browning X-Bolt does not come in a left handed model. They(Browning) sell both wood stocked and stainless in left handed but not the X-Bolt. The Browning stainless stalker is an excellent rifle. The Remington 700 XCR was offered in left handed when it originally came out but it no longer is. The left handed 700 XCRs are out there but they are hard to find and because they are no longer offered they are usually expensive. I have a left handed 700 KS from Remingtons`Custom shop but these guns are also expensive. Check out the Savage Model 116 FSL(Weather Warrior). It is reasonably priced,has many great options. and is very accurate. Tikka`s T3 Lite is also a great gun for the price. Lefthanded shooters options are many times limited.

Thanks guys, all great advice. I don't know much about Tikka rifles but the T3 Lite Stainless model is quite intriguing. Which of the Anchorage/Valley gun stores carry Tikka guns? Iíd like to see how they feel in my hands.

I know Sportsmans usually has a good selection of Browning rifles; Iíll stop by to see if they have a stainless stalker.

Iíve heard great things about savage rifles, especially regarding accuracy, but I donít like the fact that you canít empty the magazine without working the action. Am I wrong here? Partially due to safety and partially due to convenience, I prefer to be able to empty the magazine through the bottom of the stalk.

How about Duracoating the one you have?
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by AKfowler View Post
    Thanks guys, all great advice. I don't know much about Tikka rifles but the T3 Lite Stainless model is quite intriguing. Which of the Anchorage/Valley gun stores carry Tikka guns? Iíd like to see how they feel in my hands.

I know Sportsmans usually has a good selection of Browning rifles; Iíll stop by to see if they have a stainless stalker.

Iíve heard great things about savage rifles, especially regarding accuracy, but I donít like the fact that you canít empty the magazine without working the action. Am I wrong here? Partially due to safety and partially due to convenience, I prefer to be able to empty the magazine through the bottom of the stalk.
    My savage weather warrior has bottom hinge plate for removing shells. I love the savage, chambered in 325 wsm. I really like the accuetrigger and its a very accurate gun. only problem is with the wsm it only holds 2 in the magazine.

Duracoating is definitely an option, but before sinking a couple hundred dollars into that, I wanted to see what other options (as far as new rifles go) there are.

warrior, thanks for the info on the savage. I'll be checking one out in the near future.

Duracoating is definitely an option, but before sinking a couple hundred dollars into that, I wanted to see what other options (as far as new rifles go) there are.

warrior, thanks for the info on the savage. I'll be checking one out in the near future.
    Fred Meyer on Abbott in Anchorage has the Savage Weather Warrior, lefty chambered in 338. Or at least they did a few days ago.

I've had a .300 WM Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker almost 20 years now and it has been a great firearm. My next lefthanded bolt will be a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 and someday I'd like another A-Bolt in .375 H&H or .338 WM.

3 Bears in Palmer has lefty Tikka's and A-Bolts, as does Sportsmans Warehouse in Wasilla. Freddy's and Wal Mart are hit and miss, but sometimes have A-Bolts and Savages in lefty. Boondocks in Eagle River usually has some and so does Chimo's.

Some models of Savage rifles have the sealed off floor plate, some have a hinged floor plate and some have detachable magazines, just depends on the model.

Hey brother Lefty,
    Every now & then Remington makes a run of LSS (Laminated Stainless Steel) 700s in left hand My wife gave me one the day we got married 11 years ago and it has been my go-to rifle ever since. If I can find some work up there, I have no doubt it will be my go-to Alaska rifle.

Check GunsAmaerica and Gun Broker, I bet you can find one. I got my 20 year old yet still unfired & NIB left hand 700 in 338 Mag on Gun Broker.