Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 H&H weight

Default 375 H&H weight

I have read this forun for some time and have enjoyed the information and discussions a lot.

I posted this question on another forum but I would be very interseted in hearing your opinions.

I have been thinking of buying a used 375 H&H lately and my question is how heavy should it be (gun with scope, 3 shells & sling) in order to keep the recoil manageable. I know you are going to say it depends on how sensitive I am to recoil, so I will say that I already have a 7.5 lb 30-06 (gun & scope, 3 shells & sling) and a 8.75 lb 300 WM (gun & scope, 3 shells & sling) and I do not have a problem with their recoil. Also, what length barrel would you recommend.

Thanks

22-24" barrel and most .375s are very nice shooting guns, recoil is ALOT less than what you'd imagine. heavier bullets going slower, equals a different kind of recoil apart from the .30's.
    7-9lbs is a good weight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default weight

I got a standard M70 safari classic with a leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope and leupold QRW rings and bases.

I shoot about 10 rounds from the bench and 10 standing twice a month. No problems with recoil at all.

I guess it weighs 9.5-10 with 4 rounds loaded, scope ,rings and sling.

Also mine is a 24" barrel

jedi

My 375 is around 9.5-10lbs, has a mercury recoil reducer and a nice pad and my 14 year old can shoot it numerous times from the bench and he is your avg size teenager. I can pull off 20 rounds standing and the bench with no problem.

Doug

My .375 is a custom M70 with a 20" barrel. With the scope and and 3 rounds it weighs 9 1/4#. The 20" barrel is real nice for close ups in the brush. No sling, but that's a story in itself.

The recoil on the .375 is more like a rolling action than a sharp kick. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather take the recoil from a .375 compared to a .338 any day.

Default The .375

I have had pre-64 Mod. 70's with 21.5", 22" and 25" barrels and a Sako with a 20" barrel. The Winchester's were around 9 lbs. the Sako about 8 lbs. At this stage in my life I think 8 lbs. and a 22" barrel is about right. As to recoil heres what I think. If you load up a .375 with full throttle 270 or 300 grain bullets and load up a .338 Win. Mag. with full throttle 250 grain bull bullets and shoot them in a rifle of the same weight, barrel length and stock configuration the .375 recoils more. From what I have read on this forum most of the time the opinion is the .338 recoils more. Heck, maybe it does. A person should have one of them for sure and preferably both!

Default .375 choice

My .375 is a Browning Stainless Stalker left hand model WITHOUT that stupid BOSS on it. While it works well at the range, it is just another thing to snag brush. I don't care for it, and the accuracy of my rifle is very hard to improve on.

I agree, the recoil is more of a rolling push that a smack like a .300 WM. However, the rolling push is quite pronounced, but is not too uncomfortable.

A synthetic stock is very desireable for Alaska, but if you take care of it, wood is just fine. But, if you don't, it will swell in the rain and wet climate here and will cause you much grief.

A low-power scope, such as a 1.5-5X or 2-7X, is the best if you decide to put a scope on it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default .375 Ouch and Ouch

Nothing less than 22" for the barrel, and weight of 9-11lbs. Atleast that is my opinion. Mine is 24" barrel but pretty light exact #'s escape me. I would like mine a little heavier. I am 6' and about 165lbs, give you a guesstimate.

Default recoil comparison

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have had pre-64 Mod. 70's with 21.5", 22" and 25" barrels and a Sako with a 20" barrel. The Winchester's were around 9 lbs. the Sako about 8 lbs. At this stage in my life I think 8 lbs. and a 22" barrel is about right. As to recoil heres what I think. If you load up a .375 with full throttle 270 or 300 grain bullets and load up a .338 Win. Mag. with full throttle 250 grain bull bullets and shoot them in a rifle of the same weight, barrel length and stock configuration the .375 recoils more. From what I have read on this forum most of the time the opinion is the .338 recoils more. Heck, maybe it does. A person should have one of them for sure and preferably both!
    I agree.

I sight in a friends .338 Winchester in a Winchester M 70 and zero check it all the time so he dosen't have to shoot any more than his final zero check.( he has arthritus)

I shoot 20-40 rounds often of .338 Federal 210 grain nosler partitions for lot testing groups and think it is a *****cat compared to my .375 H&H.

My .375 H&H really lets you know when you shoot 20 rounds of Federal 300 grain nosler partitions from the bench.

jedi

Wink

Along the same line of thought. Just sighted in a 375 RUM XCR 24 in. barrel and although it has alot more recoil than the 375 H&H I do wish it weighed more. Its scoped with a leupold 2 x 7, It"s a real nice hunting rig but to me I would not mind 3/4 to 1 pound more on that rifle, if you catch my drift! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I've got three: A rebarreled LH Rem 700 at just over 7 pounds, a Ruger #1 magnaported and with a recoil reducer at between 8 and 9 pounds, and a LH Mauser 3000 with a heavy 26" barrel right at 12 pounds. I've shot lots of others, too.

The Remington is a delight to carry, but a fire breather from the bench. Gotta put a 25 pound bag of shot between me and it for long bench sessions, but no real problem for offhand work. The #1 is an absolute *****cat like dwhunter describes. The Mauser is not as comfortable to shoot and is a club to carry on long jaunts.

The best all around would be a crossbreed of my Remington and my #1- i.e., something light for easy carry with technical help in the recoil department. I'd be very happy if I ever got around to magnaporting the Remington and adding the recoil reducer. Best of both worlds sort of thing.

You can cross that 12 pound Mauser off your list. It's weight helps tame recoil, but the extra weight isn't a good tradeoff. Better to knock off the barrel to 20-22" while turning it down a bit and put up with the added recoil even if you dont get around to the ports and reducer.

The #1 was fine before I added the ports and reducer, but is even better with them. For my sensitivities a plain rifle edging toward 10 pounds is about right, but one with recoil help is a whole lot more fun if you like the smell of burned powder.

Thank you for your input, the information has been helpfull.

For HAWKEN 54, JEDI RIFLEMAN & LONGHUNTER7, without pulling out the scales, do you have a rough idea of what yor guns weigh.

Thanks

Bob

Wink

Bob , 8 and change empty with sling. Leupold rings, and one piece base, these weigh a bit more than the two piece. 2x7 Leupold vx 1 scope. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

8#'s, anything more than that is just too much to carry in the field, and lighter will be a bit too much on the shoulder.

I can't imagine folks suggesting 10+#'s, that's ok for a 458 lott or 500 Jeffrey, but a 375 simply doesn't have enough recoil to justify such a heavy riflle. My first 458 lott was 9# on the button and a bit too snappy, but there is no reason for a 375 to be that heavy.

Paul H,

I must respectively disagree with you on this.

I think it is more a matter of personal ability, comfort level than anything else. What feels right to some may be far from comfortable or usable to others.

Doug

Default .375 weight

Mine weighs approximately 8 1/2 pounds. I have open sights on it right now, but am going to put either a red dot scope or a 2 X 7 Leupold or Burris on it with detachable rings.

To give you an idea of the difference a gun can be, when I lived in Fairbanks and first started getting into hunting the big bears, a buddy and I went and bought identical Whitworth rifles in .375 H&H. We both replaced the wooden stock with synthetic. He put on a McMillan and I went with Bell and Carlson. He had a muzzle brake on his, I didn't. We hunted together on nearly every hunting trip we went on for years. We loaded our ammo to function in each other's rifles in case one or the other lost or left theirs. This was not only for bear, but .280 for sheep and goats, .223 for furbearers, .30-06 for other things, etc. Worked well for us.

Another friend of ours started hunting with us and one spring, we planned a bear hunt on Hinchinbrook. He went and bought the same Whitworth rifle we had, but left his stock. We were at the range the first time he shot his rifle. He wanted to use the same ammo as we did for the same reason we were doing it. He is a fairly small man, and every time he touched that rifle off, it nearly lifted him off the bench. My buddy and I were laughing at him and just giving him heck (all in good fun). My buddy's rifle shoots like a mild .30-06 with the muzzle brake. My rifle, with just the synthetic stock, was managable enough that I could and did shoot 30 to 40 rounds at the bench before it got uncomfortable. He kept saying it kicked too much to shoot. I told him to shoot mine and quit acting like a baby. He did, and handled it well. He thought I had a milder load in my gun, but we were all shoothing the same. I took his and shot it. It nearly lifted me off the bench, and I am not recoil shy or small. I am 6'5" tall and then I was only about 225 pounds. His gun was absolutely brutal with that wood stock, the worse I ever shot, bar none. A buddy's light .416 wasn't near as bad. It was just the design of the stock and rifle. He went and put a B&C stock like mine, and the difference was astounding.

Since then, every big-kicker I buy will either come with a synthetic stock, or I will put one on it. Another thing I want to point out is even the synthetics need a good, soft recoil pad on them. Makes a huge difference.

If you buy a big gun that "kicks", don't do as so many do and leave it in the closet until you go hunting. Go and buy yourself a lead- sled, pus-y pad, or some other type of recoil tamer for the bench. Shoot that rifle until it is second nature to you and you know where every impact is at all ranges, and when you are shooting an animal, you won't even realize the recoil. Practice, practice and practice some more.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

My 375 H&H wieghs right in at 7.25lbs loaded. Recoil off the bench will get your attention but it is a dream to carry and doesn't effect offhand shooting. It has a 20" barrel and I don't see any reason to go longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    My 375 H&H wieghs right in at 7.25lbs loaded. Recoil off the bench will get your attention but it is a dream to carry and doesn't effect offhand shooting. It has a 20" barrel and I don't see any reason to go longer.
    That weight if perfect IMO.

Thinking I'll be getting myself a 375H&H soon ,only problem there's not many quality lightweight units available these days.The Remington XCR being the one that comes to mind.Or just might have to mod & makeup.

A friend has this exact rifle with a lightweight scope on her.Remington claim that these rifles are 7 5/8lbs,they are lighter IMO.Would of been the finest 375H&H I've fired,it just handled so well in such a lightweight rig.

A couple of Aussie boys have bought these XCR's(375H&H),docked the barrel to 20",they are meant to be a very handy do anything workhorse.

How many of you blokes(Aussie slang meaning=boys,lads etc) have these XCR's,& how do they handle the rough country of Alaska?
    There is two things I'm not big on with Remington's,one being the puny little extractor that can break(Rare but it can happen) & the trigger system.But these things can be rendered$$$ right.

Winchester's Classic Stainless was one of the best IMO,shame about Model 70's being no more .

340 .

Default I used the scale anyway

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Thank you for your input, the information has been helpfull.

For HAWKEN 54, JEDI RIFLEMAN & LONGHUNTER7, without pulling out the scales, do you have a rough idea of what yor guns weigh.

Thanks

Bob
    Just took both my Winchester M70 lefthand, factory wood stocked, .375 H&H Safari Classic rifles to the medical beam scale.

With sling, Leupold mounts(1 is QRW style and 1 is QR style rings and bases) and 4 rounds of federal premium 300 grain nosler partitions.(set on the scale not in the gun)(safety)and Leupold 1.5-5x20mm vari-XIII heavy duplex matte scope.

I got 10.5 pounds dead on for each gun.

Hope this helps...I needed to weigh them any way I was tired of guessing what they weighed.

jedi

This is all very subjective. I am 6'2" 220 lbs and I hate recoil. It eats me alive. I broke my neck as a kid and when I shoot my big stuff I am sick for days, no fun. That said my current 375 is a KM77 ruger rebored to 375 WBy. I cut the barrel to 20" and shoot a mid load of 65 gr Varget. It does 2450 with a 300. I weighs 7.5 lbs exactly with out scope and I hate it on the bench. Since it has long been zeroed and loads developed for it I never shoot it of the bench. I never notice its light weight packing it in the hills and I never, NEVER notice it when I pull the trigger on game.

Like I said very subjective.

My last 375 was a pusher M70 with wood stock and it was a comforting 9.5 lbs and never a bother off the bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast