Thread: Db468

Talking Db468

Ok guys, I have drawn a DB468 Tag. I am pretty stoked for it were this will be my first Bow hunt for Bear.

Only thing is I applied for the hunt thinking that I was going to be here to do all the scouting during the summer. Unfortunately, I have received orders to Ft Polk, Louisiana; right now I am planning on coming back around the 6th of September for about 2 weeks. I will be doing as much scouting as I can before I leave in June. I will probably use that time to do some black bear hunting as well.

If anyone that won the tag last year needs a partner for this spring I am willing to help.

I have done the search on here looking for success stories, with no luck.

Well in 2009 regulatory season there was no successful hunters out of the 11 that did the hunt. I have not found anything from the 2010 season yet but who know maybe some one will have some luck this Spring.

Anyways Good Luck.

I am sending you a PM

Im still goin to try for it this spring. Maybe ill have better luck than i did this fall. Never got close enough for a shot. Good luck to you

I drew this tag for the comming fall and spring.

If you would like a back up for this spring we should talk and see if we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfishbum View Post
    Im still goin to try for it this spring. Maybe ill have better luck than i did this fall. Never got close enough for a shot. Good luck to you
    I hope you the very best of luck. Also I would like to get as much information from you as you are willing to give out. Also if you need some help this spring let me know as I am planning on being up there as often as I can be.

Well went for a walk today along the lake. Trail still has a good amount of snow but it is hard packed and easy walking. The south facing slopes near the beginning of the trail are relatively snow free. We didn't see anything other than a small band of lambs and ewes, but probably won't be long. The higher elevations near the far end of the lake still has alot of snow, might be a while before the fuzzies emerge from near the glacier.

I will probably go for a walk next weekend with the bow just in case I see a Black Fuzzy. For the most part though is will just be time to get familiar with the area. If the wife goes the bow will stay behind though.

I drew this tag and didn't go this last fall but will go this spring... so I very excited as well... Slinging an arrow at a brownie.... I think I am ready for it?!... my back up guys will have a 375 and we each will have a 44 side arm... Does anyone have other suggestions for hunting Browns with bows... I have a little bow with black experience...but browns...not yet.

Good luck!

I got this tag as well, the one from last year. Didn't hunt much last fall, went out a few times. Going to try again, here in a few weeks. They should be coming out soon if there isn't some out already. A distress call might work great, just got to be in a spot that gives you the "advantage" of the bear. I'll likely just have my .44 for "backup" and a quiver of arrows! lol

Well planning on going for a hike/scouting trip this Saturday. I will be taking my bow with me in case I see a blackie or two. I will also have my .44 just for GQ. If you guys are up there and see someone in a silverish gmc sierra with shell, don't hesitate to stop and say HI.

Good luck! If you see any sign of bear please report back.

Well, I got about 5 hours of hiking/scouting and about 1 hour of stalking in today. This morning I took out of the parking lot headed up the lake and climbed to a decent vantage point over the lake. I was a sow and cubs that were almost directly above the first public use cabin. Not sure whether they were black or brown from my vantage point. On the way out when I got to the parking lot I looked up near the Twin Peak trail ridge and saw a good size blackie running solo around 245pm. I went to put a move on him/her and got up to where I was about 100yds from where I last saw him/her. When all of the sudden I hear "Whoa bear, whoa bear" and than some more yelling. I was able to see the hikers that came across him first and they were about 100 to 150 yards a way looking out into the opening, but never did see the blackie up close.

Long story short, near the front end of the lake there are bears out moving around but going further up the valley there was nothing that I saw. Also, all action was on the north side of the lake; the south side still has to much snow. But it shouldn't be much longer with the way it is melting up there.

Well another day out and about. After a good climb to about 2700 feet, RipnLips spotted a nice brownie (through the spotter he didn't have much of a neck, so that is my best guess to how big he was) that was having a field day playing on the mountain. If I happen to see this boy this coming fall I would have no hesitations at going in after him. I think that I will have some company in that area. Ultimately today turned into just a "getting in shape run".

It might be two weeks before I can get back out into that area and It will be to find out a little more about one or two areas that I have a heavy interest in.

I spent about 4.5 hours glassing yesterday (Saturday) and 2.5 more this morning glassing the mountains around the west end of the lake - binos on the tripod, getting a real good look. Saw about 40 sheep and a coyote came within about 50 yards of me, which was pretty cool, but I did not see one bear (of either the black or brown variety). I spent 90% of my time looking over the south-facing mountians on the north side of the lake. I did see a set of tracks south of the lake, fairly high up in the snow. Anyway, nothing real exciting to report, but that's the latest on Eklutna bears.