Thread: 16" Puma 454 at Fbks gunshow---heads up

Default 16" Puma 454 at Fbks gunshow---heads up

Just a heads up for anyone interested. I was at the gunshow yesterday (2/27/2011) here in Fairbanks and a guy has a 16" Puma 454 Levergun. Stainless, with HiViz sights and a sling for $475.00. He said he'd take 400 for it. They don't make these anymore. I have a 20" otherwise I'd have bought it. He's upstairs and has a few FA revolvers as well. Including a 500WE with octagon barrel and a bunch of ammo and brass.

Snyd,
    I saw it too. I should have looked at it more closely. Did you happen to find out where he is from, or any contact info?
    Thanks,
    zim698

No I didn't, sorry.

I'll take it. Grab it for me Snyd, I'll fly up next weekend to pick it up and buy you a beer.

Dang, I should have just bought the thing. I knew somebody would want it. I don't know how to get a hold of the guy and the show's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone interested. I was at the gunshow yesterday (2/27/2011) here in Fairbanks and a guy has a 16" Puma 454 Levergun. Stainless, with HiViz sights and a sling for $475.00. He said he'd take 400 for it. They don't make these anymore. I have a 20" otherwise I'd have bought it. He's upstairs and has a few FA revolvers as well. Including a 500WE with octagon barrel and a bunch of ammo and brass.

Have you shot an animal with that rifle of your's? I'm very interested in that gun, and a guy I know will trade with me his for a pre 64 30-30 winchester rifle. I'm really interested to hear how the recoil is, and how it performs on game. I'd imagine it wouldn't be much different than a 45-70, just a heck of a lot less rifle weight. gotta love those model 92's.

Nope, I haven't shot a critter with it but the bottom line is with the 20 inch barrel mine picks up about 300-350 fps over 45 Colt or 454 Casull loads in my revolvers. It'll do the job no prob. I've shot quite a few 335gr at 17-1900 fps. It kicks like a high powered rifle, maybe an aught six?. No biggie.

My H&R single in 454 is much kinder to shoot than my 45/70 singles.Real men would not give either a thought
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I shot a fair sized black tail with my Puma 20" 454 using a 300gr sierra jacketed at about 1600 at 75yds. It just made a finger sized hole behind one shoulder and out through the other. Since then I got one of the Lee 300gr molds (actual 318gr) and with a case full of Lil Gun it's getting about 1950 fps with moderate recoil. It is a fun gun to hunt with.