Thread: roadside fishing

Default roadside fishing

Hi
    I am taking my family for a two week vacation for the last week of June and the first week of July in 2012. We will be staying with a friend of my wifes in Anchorage, and I will be looking to do some roadside fishing on the Kenai Peninsula and the Parks highway rivers. I know I will be with crowds with most of those rivers and thats fine. I will be trying to catch Kings and Reds mainly, but anything else thats available.

I have been to Alaska twice once on a float on the Alagnak and one other time fishing the Parks highway rivers like Montana and Willow. Kings and Chums are the only Pacific salmon species I haven't caught in Alaska.

Does anybody have any advice for then? I will also have my little girl who will be 6 and a half and would love to get her into some reds too.

Thanks!

Your time frame will probably find first run reds at the Russian River.
    Kings - probably your best hope will be the Valley streams, depending on emergency closures. Last year was pretty dismal. Talkeetna River/Clear Creek might be your best shot. Gulkana River would be another option.

Buy Scott Haugen's "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska". Awesome book with clear info and directions. More of a "where" to fish than a "how" to fish book. It can be bought on the forum store here, Amazon, etc.. Great resource. Also, Gunnar Pederson has a few books, one specific to the Kenai Peninsula.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Your time frame will probably find first run reds at the Russian River.
    Kings - probably your best hope will be the Valley streams, depending on emergency closures. Last year was pretty dismal. Talkeetna River/Clear Creek might be your best shot. Gulkana River would be another option.

Thank you for the reply. What about the Kasilof then? And is that too early for humpies in the region? Those would be a blast for my little girl, but thinking it's too early.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Buy Scott Haugen's "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska". Awesome book with clear info and directions. More of a "where" to fish than a "how" to fish book. It can be bought on the forum store here, Amazon, etc.. Great resource. Also, Gunnar Pederson has a few books, one specific to the Kenai Peninsula.

-Dan
    Thanks, I will look into that.

I also was curious about equipment for Kings. Would a 10 weight be good? ANd what strength tippet?

Check timing, but I think your trip would be good timing for a drift boat guided trip on the Kasilof, which is near the Kenai. Jimmie Jack is a reputable guide service that runs drift boats on the Kasilof and power boats on the Kenai. Kasilof is drift boat only, more suitable for a fly rod pursuit on kings. I have not caught many kings on a fly rod yet, but may be doing a repeat float trip on the Goodnews this summer for that reason. I am taking my ten weights, that seems to be the general suggestion for rod wt for kings. The red fishing on the Kenai is a combat fishing zoo as you may know.

Troutfitters of Cooper Landing is a great fly shop and guide service. Check out their website. Buy Scott's book and use it as a reference. Tons of info on where to go, when to go, and how to get there. Two awesome fly shops in Anchorage are Mossy's Fly Shop (nice shop and great service) and World Wide Angler (big shop with tons of flies, many custom tied).

You should find some good grayling fishing on the Parks from what I have heard. Many others here can chime in on that. There is a book titled "Fishing Alaska's Road System" or similar. Also, if grayling is of interest, check out the Scenic Mountain Air website, a bush plane service in Moose Pass (near Seward). They can fly you into upper (or lower) Paradise Lake and you can rent the USFS cabin ($35/night with boat). Only cabin on a very beautiful lake. Been wanting to do that myself and your timing should be perfect for the many grayling in that lake.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

There might be some humpies around somewhere, close to saltwater... Seward maybe?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I recommend "The Highway Angler" Written by Gunnar Pedersen it gives you exact loctaions and times of runs for each system.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Yes, second Highway Angler. It's not a strict flyfishing book but will teach you alot that might take years to find out yourself. Written by a local guy and that helps. Also a bigger book (by same author I think?) called Alaska Roadside Anglers Guide. Think I saw an ad for the new 2011 edition in the last issue of Fish Alaska magazine. Also second going to the local fly shops in town. Tons of info out there, just got to look and ask around.