Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on where to go fishing now? Bored to death.

Default Any suggestions on where to go fishing now? Bored to death.

I don't have access to a boat, but would like to get out and fish. I am off work the next four days and don't want to stare at the walls. Did that for six days last week. The wife and I are bored to death and need an excuse to go somewhere. Anywhere. Is there any place within two hours of Anchorage? Hell, we will fly if needed. Juneau, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka? My expectations are realistic. Just need to get out and do something. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dude, hit the upper!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I don't have access to a boat, but would like to get out and fish. I am off work the next four days and don't want to stare at the walls. Did that for six days last week. The wife and I are bored to death and need an excuse to go somewhere. Anywhere. Is there any place within two hours of Anchorage? Hell, we will fly if needed. Juneau, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka? My expectations are realistic. Just need to get out and do something. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan
    Dan, most of our lakes are frozen over but the Naha would still be fishable if trail access is open.

I took a long weekend last month for the same reasons...chased some steel on the Olympic Peninsula...hoh and sol duc rivers...magical place Dan.....It was as they say, a pilgrimage.

Dan
    It's winter, go find a lake to drill a hole in!!!!

What you need Dan is a wintertime hobby (besides fishing)..

My suggestion:

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    I took a long weekend last month for the same reasons...chased some steel on the Olympic Peninsula...hoh and sol duc rivers...magical place Dan.....It was as they say, a pilgrimage.
    I would agree. For anyone who hasn't had a chance, steelheading in the winter time on the Olympic Peninsula... It is an experience everyone should be lucky enough to try at least once. But you better be committed and a fishing nut. Completely possible to plan a two week trip and have zero days of fishing due to water conditions. But when its just right, its a place that is hard to beat. If you know people down there, they might have a high water spot or two, but for reasonable opportunity, you have to be lucky or plan to be down there for at least a week if not two in my opinion.

not the best pics but these were taken Dec 26 and the first week of January several years back. The small brat was about 6 pounds (The salmon river hatchery fish don't have a complete clip of the adipose fin...don't want to get flamed for bonking a native steelhead..something I would never do!)

Some great fishing down there but this is the one aspect of Washington that was much better than southcentral Alaska. The ability to fish open water for something significant all year round.

Last edited by Kardinal_84; 02-27-2011 at 19:45. Reason: add pics

If I had my way I'd be going to Montana, California or Oregon for spring break (Skwallas and BWOs make me drool this time of year) in AK is the Naknek open? or did it freeze this year?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AKPM, BWO's? Dont know that one. please explain, for simpletons like myself!

Kardinal, gotta love the hoh, thanks for posting the pics...I Have a drift boat in Forks if anyone wants to pay my airfare.... I will row, swear it on the steel! Hows "bout" it Dan, lets go.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

AKPM, BWO's?
    blue winged olives

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Dan,

It's not fly fishing, but you ought to think about a charter out of homer (winter kings).

You can borrow my canoe any time you wanna try and float the flippin kenai.

AKPM, BWO's? Dont know that one. please explain, for simpletons like myself!

Kardinal, gotta love the hoh, thanks for posting the pics...I Have a drift boat in Forks if anyone wants to pay my airfare.... I will row, swear it on the steel! Hows "bout" it Dan, lets go.
    dmahay, powdermonkey I think might have had a typo and was trying to say bows instead of bwos.

I agree w/ you, kardinals post was a dandy. Full of good info for a guy like me that dreams of fishing that country.....<edit> WAIT! I just noticed in your post about paying your airfare in exchange for a ride on your driftboat, I happen to have a companion fare coupon...
    Hey danattherock I'm getting pretty excited about Yakutat. Whatcha think, is it gonna be early this year?
    Last edited by fullbush; 02-28-2011 at 10:55. Reason: travel arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Dan,

It's not fly fishing, but you ought to think about a charter out of homer (winter kings).

You can borrow my canoe any time you wanna try and float the flippin kenai.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. The winter king option is interesting. I will research that a bit. Didn't know they were around to be honest.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Dan, most of our lakes are frozen over but the Naha would still be fishable if trail access is open.

Just got a job offer this morning and had our time off in April put in the contract. That means we will be fishing the Naha. Can't wait! Hope to see you then for dinner. I still have to set up the bush flight with Dave, commercial flights, etc.. but we are coming.

-Dan

Thanks man. I appreciate it. The winter king option is interesting. I will research that a bit. Didn't know they were around to be honest.

-Dan
    Yep, that was going to be my suggestion as well. The king fishing can be pretty solid in Kachemak Bay in the winter or it can be dead, but at least it's a day spent on the water. You can also likely get into rockfish, cod, and maybe even some small halibut if your captain knows you're interested.

My wife and I will hopefully be doing some winter king trolling next week.

Any suggestions on charters? I have not fished out of Homer before.

-Dan

Do yourself a solid Dan. Head for Kodiak, get ahold of the guy on here from Old Harbor that runs charters. Get off the road system and into ALASKA. Fresh seafood, good vibes, harbor scene in Kodiak (im)proper is a must-do for a person of your beverage-tolerant physiology....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey danattherock I'm getting pretty excited about Yakutat. Whatcha think, is it gonna be early this year?

Hard to say without knowing. I went to the Karta on POW last May (3-9) and got skunked for steelhead. Low water, no rain in 3 weeks, etc... I am hitting the Naha in mid April this year and hoping for better fishing.

Any suggestions on charters? I have not fished out of Homer before.

-Dan
    Ask homerdave for a suggestion. He seems to know who is catching fish down there.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, that was going to be my suggestion as well. The king fishing can be pretty solid in Kachemak Bay in the w sinter or it can be dead, but at least it's a day spent on the water. You can also likely get into rockfish, cod, and maybe even somemall halibut if your captain knows you're interested.

My wife and I will hopefully be doing some winter king trolling next week.
    Brian,
    You gonna be practicing for the Winter King Tournament............It's not too far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast