• 20"

14 46.67%
  • 22"

11 36.67%
  • 24"

1 3.33%
  • Leave it as it is.....

2 6.67%

Thread: What barrel length for new project rifle?

Default What barrel length for new project rifle?

What barrel length would you do if you had a 7.62x54R, since the round falls between 308 and 30-06 ballistics? I have seen Rugers with 16" barrels in 308 and Remington Carbines at 18.5" in 30-06. I would like a fast handling canoe gun that would be great for close cover with a maximum shot of 250 yards. Oh, almost forgot, current length is close to 28".

Thanks

Ron

You could get by with any length you wanted. Any build or new barrel I do will probably be at least 25" and likely 26" or more, but that's me and I like to squeeze out as much fps as I can, practically speaking. I voted 24". Tell us a little more about your project.

For a canoe gun in my hands it would be a crossover between balance for offhand shooting and compactness. In my experience if guns get too short they're harder to shoot. I doubt I'd go shorter than 20 or as a long as 24. Call it 22, and I bet it will be a noticeably better offhand gun than something shorter, but not so long that it's inconvenient for varied use in the field. I've got a wide range of barrel lengths, but not coincidentally the ones that spend the most time in the hills are 20-22 inches.

A few years ago I bought each of the boys a Mosin M38. They have a 20.25" Barrel and handle very well. I have shot both and both seem to do well off hand with me. I am getting a Mosin 91/30 on wednesday. I have thought about making at a M38 but something smaller could be interesting. My 06' is 22" and it goes with me almost everywhere hunting. I have an uncle who shoots an Oberndorf Mauser in 8mm and that gun is 18.5". If I cut it down, I will go from 06' to 308 or even 30-40 krag ballistics. I have not shot 30-40, and 308 was ok in my wife's M1A.

I'd go with whatever length balances the rifle best. I like a 20 or 21" barrel, but rifle balance is the key. That said I have 2 rifles with 24", 3 with 22", one with a 20", and 1 with a 16". Would love to lop them all down to 20", but probably won't.

20" but 21" would be better, now that we settled that lets talk about the iron sights...

I am wanting to re-use the old ones....... sights that is.....

Simply from a muzzle blast thought I would not want to go under 20in....
    BTW, are you sure a 7.62 will kill a canoe???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That is great....... Well it will make a hole in it....... I notice that Stranger has not said much in this thread. I know his Finnish Mosin is longer but I wonder if he has any thoughts. Well they drop it off tomorrow. I still think 18.5" would be interesting. I can always have the end ported if it jumps to much. I will post pics when I am done or working on it anyway.

Ron

I don't think I would go shorter than 20"/21" as muzzle blast starts getting intense any shorter. Also 20/21 should balance pretty well with enough punch left for a 250yd shot.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree with rbuck351:

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I agree with the prior posts. A 20 inch barrel is about perfect. Any shorter n that, with muzzle blast aside, off hand shooting is compromised. My little 22 magnum henry rifle (from the other post) has an 18.5" light contour barrel. It doesn't settle on target too well from the offhand shooting position. This may be because of the light weight too. The finest offhand shooting rifle I've ever felt, was a model 94 winchester with a 20 inch barrel. With a tubular magazine loaded with bullets, it settled on target even better. A medium contour 20 inch barrel, and you'll have one nice rifle. Like you, I require a short, fast handling gun in my canoes. Regardless of barrel length, all high powered and modern rifle cartridges are 300 yard guns. Your 7.62x54R is plenty powerful for 300 yard shooting, so you could extend that maximum out a little if you needed.

As I recall they are a 1 in 10 twist and would suffer none at 20 inches. It would make a dandy little boat rifle.

My only question is that if you cut that stepped barrel down to 20 inches your going to be past where it graduates to a larger diameter. Your gonna have to do some whittling on that front sight to reuse it!

The gun came last night. It is a 1942 Izzy with what looks like a "passed down barrel" . What I mean based upon the sights, it was from an earlier gun barrel and was used for the new one. The rifling is good and the bore, shines. The receiver looks brand new and is a high wall style. I want to preserve as much of its background as possible so I was planning on making it a "tanker" and using all of its original gear, just missing a few inches. As I said before, the boys M38's are at 20.25 inches and shoot well. Do any of you shoot a ruger compact? or have shot them?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Simply from a muzzle blast thought I would not want to go under 20in....
    Blast should not be a factor. Hand loading and tuning for optimum performance will work out the issues of flame throwing blast with proper powder selection.

I was loading for a cousins 19.5" 30-06 with traditional powders and was shocked at the huge flame from the unburnt charge out of the short barrel. I experimented with faster powders and actually improved the velocity and eliminated the flash.

Interesting, I have been thinking about doing just this for a 19.5 inch .338, for about a week. I get my best accuracy so far with H4350, a grain and a half below suggested starting charge so I'm thinking about H-varget or a 4895.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Blast should not be a factor. Hand loading and tuning for optimum performance will work out the issues of flame throwing blast with proper powder selection.

I was loading for a cousins 19.5" 30-06 with traditional powders and was shocked at the huge flame from the unburnt charge out of the short barrel. I experimented with faster powders and actually improved the velocity and eliminated the flash.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

Reely?

And, which faster powders are you referring to?
    How much was the velocity improved?
    How much velocity did you end up with, for which bullet?

Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My thoughts are- barrel contour - bullet size, weight, BC, and what type of powder you like-- BUT most of all- BALANCE!!
    Goo

I wanted to see 30" on the poll, but it wasn't listed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well the deed is done. I cut it at 17". The weight seems to be better balance near the action and not the front end. I am in the process of re-finishing the wood. I cut the front sight off and ground it down to be reused. I will post pics later. Thanks for all the thoughts guys....

Ron