Thread: Super Cub/Champ Question...

Default Super Cub/Champ Question...

Been snooping out used aircraft and found a number of Champs for sale as well as some Cubs. One Champ is only 180 miles from my place with a price tag of $14K. The highest price I saw for a Champ was $25K, compared to the price on Cubs that started in the mid $40Ks and went up from there.

The $14K Champ had no transponder or radio, but did have the basic instruments to fly VFR. Didn't write the engine specs down as I'm window shopping right now, but the seller advised it's ready to fly as soon as the buyer's check clears.

I'm sure some of you have experience with both, why the price disparity, and is the Champ suitable for Off Airport operations? Is there some issue with Champs that I have not yet uncovered that puts their value so much less than a comparable Cub?

Thanks
    NDT

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    Been snooping out used aircraft and found a number of Champs for sale as well as some Cubs. One Champ is only 180 miles from my place with a price tag of $14K. The highest price I saw for a Champ was $25K, compared to the price on Cubs that started in the mid $40Ks and went up from there.

The $14K Champ had no transponder or radio, but did have the basic instruments to fly VFR. Didn't write the engine specs down as I'm window shopping right now, but the seller advised it's ready to fly as soon as the buyer's check clears.

I'm sure some of you have experience with both, why the price disparity, and is the Champ suitable for Off Airport operations? Is there some issue with Champs that I have not yet uncovered that puts their value so much less than a comparable Cub?

Thanks
    NDT
    The Champs are usually heavier. If you're talking about the later Citabrria, the Scout (with flaps) isn't a bad bush substitute. It doesn't have the great Super Cub wing, but it has more responsive ailerons. Toe brakes are more convenient, unless a Super Cub is fitted with something like Cleveland 6" wheels and brakes. If you're talking about an older 65-hp Aeronca Champ, it's just a really fun airplane, flies just fine, is terribly forgiving - - - - - and simply cannot handle bush requirements, even though lots of pilots do bang around out back with them.

If possible, stick with the Super Cub.

Since you have asked the question, one has to presume that you either are not yet a pilot, or are a very low-time pilot. Most other fliers can easily describe the differences. My recommdation: pick up the Champ and build some low-cost time. Plentyy of time for the Super Cub.

Low time pilot who hasn't flown in 20 years. All my flying was in a Cessna 152 or 172, have never even looked in the cockpit of any tail dragger, let alone flown one. We just don't see them down here...

ND,

Ask Mark @ mark@skywagons.com

They are brokers etc and prob know. I don't.

Tell 'em Rick in ANC mentioned them.

Rick

I have a couple friends, each with Champ and a Chief. They fly them often because they are cheap and easy on the wallet. They spend most of their time flying them in the winter on skis to ice fish and simply just get up in the air. If you are simply looking for an inexpensive way to fly their are few "real" planes that are cheaper. A Cub will do all things better, but at a significantly higher price. It all boils down to your desires.

I decided long ago that my time schedule would never allow me to build the skill set to fully use a Super Cub to it's potential, so I just am keeping an eye out for a good Citabria, T-Craft or Pacer to buy in the future. I just want something cheap to get up into the air with on the weekends. Something simple that I can learn to maintain, and something I can buy with cash.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

ND,

Check this out.

http://www.bush-planes.com/Champ-Cit...lon-Scout.html

A Piper Pacer wld be a good choice in that price range. It can haul a little too.

rick

go with the champ or t-craft. we all want the super cub, but most of us as stated will never have enough time and money to use it to its potential. I got a great deal on a low time citabria with a 115 hp and its fairly cheap to fly. my friend has a t-cart, and its even cheaper. I spend more on my snowmobile trips than i do flying these low cost planes.

NDT
    I have a 1960 Champ. Yes I fly a lot of off airport. There are a lot of good things about the Champ. Low buy in price compared to SC, low operating costs. It is a very fun to fly airplane. Most are faster than a SC because they have a cruise prop vice a Bore/climb prop. There are some limitations to a Champ as well. No flaps. Smaller useful load than a SC. The SC has a much larger camber on the wing for better slow speed flight. I think the SC has better gear. There are a lot more mods for a SC than a Champ.

I fly the Champ a lot (120+ hrs a year). I have quite a few friends with cubs and I can get into most of the strips they go to. Some of the 135 guys who fly SC's for a living can get in shorter than I can but not by much.

In my opinion - Get the Champ a spend the 45K you save on avgas. You will build a lot of skills and learn to love your Champ. In the process you will define what sort of performance you need from your plane. If you need the short short capabilities of the SC then you will be that much more prepared to fly the SC to its limit.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Lots of good advice here. I have a Cub versus a Champ/Citabria, mostly due to the useful load. I am considerably heavier than the "standard" pilot. Me+instructor+3 gals gas=gross in a 7GCBC.

So...I got a Cub. Like said above, I will probably never be able to push its limits. Pushing limits often means breaking stuff=$$$$$$$$$$ and down time, so I am progressing slowly.

A Stinson would be something to look at too, if you can find a decent one in your price range.

Good luck. TW shopping can be trying. I looked for over a year.