Thread: What engine?

Default What engine?

Looking at a 20' wooldridge and the only outboard I can find is a 115. Would this be enough or would I need more, if so what would work best.

What model Wooldridge? A 115 would not be enough..... At least a DF140. Depending on the model, 200HP might be more fitting. What does the label say forward of the throttle?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I remembered this thread from recently, you may find it helpful. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...L-Motor-Choice

I guess I should have put a little more detail in here. It's a 2000 wooldridge Alaskan. It's at The Boat Shop currently and I have not decided to buy unless I can find a motor.

Josh

You'll rarely ever be sorry that you bought more horsepower, but may regret buying less. I can't think of a time I wish I had less than the 150hp on my 22' Alweld. With that said, you need to look at how you really expect to use it. If you are in FAI, chances are you'll be running rivers and therefore be putting a jet unit on. If you plan on normally having 4 people or more w/ even day gear in the boat I think 115hp is a bit underpowered. Certainly that is doable though.
    Got any ideas what your plans are for using the boat? Have you boated in Interior before?

I'd be looking at the 150-200 HP range.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Never really boated in alaska, grew up on lakes and big rivers. I would like to run the rivers and use it for hunting/fishing. It would be awhile before I went up river alone I would say however I do know how to handle a boat.

Ditto what YUKONER said...

What's the max HP rated for that boat? Get that. Whatever you do, DO NOT be underpowered. I am currently repowering and it is expensive and time consuming. It was a painful lesson to learn, but I'll never buy another boat that is underpowered.

I don't want it under powered but unless I buy a new motor I'm half out of luck.

Call Anchorage Yamaha and ask to speak with Bob at the marine side. See what he has that you can put a jet on. (907) 243-4903

Oh Baby! http://www.suzukimarine.com/df175-150/
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Pretty sure the DF140 s the biggest Suzuki you can put a jet pump on. That would be another great choice for that boat.
    Whats your budget for an OB?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Pretty sure the DF140 s the biggest Suzuki you can put a jet pump on. That would be another great choice for that boat.
    Whats your budget for an OB?
    Now that you bring it up.... I believe that I have heard this before..... you are probably correct. My apologies.
    Bill Hicks

I've heard the Suzuki motors are good. Johnson 4-strokes were built by Suzuki. But I'd be careful in FAI that you can get service and parts on them quickly. Again, not bad mouthing the motor or potential service providers. But if the service shops are not supporting the motor, then you have to depend on somebody on south side of the AK Range.
    I personally would lean hard away from the E-tec, one of the motors the dealer who has the boat sells. I just have not found anything positive about them to date. For lighter weight 2 stroke the Merc Optimax seems a good choice. Otherwise for FAI I'd go Honda. More weight, but good motors and great customer support.
    Personally I am looking at adding up to 100 more HP for my boat. I've got the V-max Yamaha in a 150 and if I change, likely I'll go to a 250hp. But then I really do push the envelope on big trips, so the added HP could really help.
    I'll caution you. Go with what you can afford and live within your means. Lots of guys bought big block snot blowers and now can't afford to run them. It's a whole lot better to go slow and easy w/ a bit less gear than to not be able to run at all because your bank account can't handle the stress.
    ARR

I only wish I had a DF140 on my boat.... screwed by Marita again......
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I only wish I had a DF140 on my boat.... screwed by Marita again......
    You're running a 5' wide 17' Ak aren't you? I saw a DF140 on CL in Anchorage a while back, $7K with pump. Smokin deal! That would be a good combo.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.