Thread: efficency at ADF&G ?

Default efficency at ADF&G ?

This is as good a place to put this as I didn't feel it fit in the gardening section!

Turning 60 this winter, I went about rounding up my free fishing license last month. They call it a Permanent I.D Card, what ever just gime the license!

So I go on line and finally find the form to send in and get a reply back telling me the've updated their site and now I have to drive to a fish and game office to get the form. Well, that was an update ?

I get over to Palmer and the lady gives me the form, I fill it out and she says it will be back in 4 to 6 weeks at which time I go back to Palmer, sign it and they laminate it for me.

Gee, while I slept this winter did we go back into the dark ages? Think about it then realize, your right across the hall from DMV who makes license EVERY DAY. No one has to come in twice either, less you flunk the test. And we wonder why they have such a hard time with fish and game management issues, I think i understand now.

The up side is that once I get it I never have to screw with them again! Is that a plus?
    Mike

A free permanent ID card, that lets you fish for free? Sounds like a good deal to me, even if it takes you two trips.

Well, Mike, it is worth 2 trips...but I'm with you in that it shouldn't take ANY trips..or one at the very most. I just got my 3rd 2010 sport fishing survey. I sent in the 1st two, being a good sport and all, but circular filed the latest. Those things are expensive to print and mail but ADF&G seems unable to keep track of who they have sent them to or who has filled them out and returned them. I'll probably croak on the spot if I ever see anything operated efficiently by the state or fed.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone being happy with the good service at the DMV - ever! anywhere!
    Guess its all relative.

I lived near Homer when I got my free ticket... Filled out the form at the F&G office and the lady typed up the card on the spot and handed it to me... unlamenated...!! it's been swimming and run through the washing machine a few times now, and most of whats printed on it you can't read... but the number is still clear... Some states a person's drivers license doubles for a Sr citizen hunt/fish license... I suggested AK use the Drivers license and save some money.... Got a big blast of bureaucratic BS in reply.... You'll enjoy it.. now you don't have to remember to buy a new license every Jan.. on your way out to shoot a ptarmigan or hare or neighbors dog..... /John

The title of the thread was all I needed for a laugh ! And to think that for many years a person was unable to purchase a license from ADFG... thankfully they fixed that BS .

.338, not entirely.
    You still can't buy any form of license in the Palmer office. They told me it was due to lack of space in the new office? Yet Carrs manages operating out of 1 drawer at the customer service counter! Hey, maybe ADFG needs a customer service counter, now; lets see where they take that!
    Mike

Customer service people cost like $45,000/year including benefits, I'd rather see that money be spent on doing science when carrs and wal mart can issue licenses instead.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Customer service people cost like $45,000/year including benefits, I'd rather see that money be spent on doing science when carrs and wal mart can issue licenses instead.
    5% commision for selling licenses and tags. Not a bad deal when you sell a non-res moose tag, caribou tag and license. State pays $40 for 10 minutes work.

ADFG has some good stats online.

They keep sending my dead grandmother those sport fishing surveys....I don't think she had a fishing license her entire life, not quite sure how she got on their list???

Think of all the money you'll save and you didn't have to switch to Geico! I think you're still required to fill out harvest card for Kings and Sharks though. If everything that's coming down the pipes with the National Pacific Fisheries Management Council happens, you'll have to get an additional license or tag to fish halibut eventually.