Thread: DIY Fishing Trip June 23

Default DIY Fishing Trip June 23

Hi,
    I'm planning a trip for the end of June. Can anly spend 3/4 days fishing. We'll be flying into Anchorage and renting an RV. So far we are leaning on going to the Copper center, Gulkana river etc. Would like to avoid the pressure. I've read that if you access the river and then walk along the side you can escape the crowds. Anyone have any thoughts on this or any places they care to share.

Would be great if we can camp in the RV and walk to river. Also are these dates good fishing dates. June 23 - 27th?

Thanks
    OP1

Default Gulkana

Yes a daoble trip timing is good depending on the run. You can camp at the Richardson Hwgy Bridge and fish up or down. Fishing up you can use Roe, fishing down is Flies only. Can be crowded at the Bridge but nothing like Combat fishing. Native Land use permit required for walking upstream on land well worth a couple of bucks. You also have Sourdough Landing with Camp sites little more difficult to fish then the bridge but still Kings available (BOAT Traffic) there.
    In between the two you have Gulkana River RV Park little spendy and does get some what crowded but good fishing from the Bank. Thata bout sums it up! You're timing is good for the middle river or shall I say middle lower river.

Enjoy!

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

You don't have to pay a trespass fee to the natives, if you walk below high water mark on the Gulkana. Check with State of Alaska DNR for that, if you are not satisfied with responses here on the forum. That is most all of the river bed. Never seen anyone walk above high water mark. Don't let them stongarm you into giving them money they don't deserve. Now if you want to walk up the trees, that is a different story. Timing is ok for kings.

Thank you both for the information. We are very excited about this trip and are looking forward to it very much. Unfortunately since we are flying in from the east cost the airlines get the bulk of our budget, so we are looking for ways to keep cost down. I don't think we would mind paying a reasonable fee to the natives if there is some value added. Ie We can park the RV close to the river, maybe even camp there. I googled Athna but the information on their site didn't mention much about this.

BTW Bluemoose I emailed your company directly for some additional information.

A couple of more questions will sockeye be running yet?

Op1

Default Yes

The First Run of Sockeye will be in the area and depending o the run you could find ample fish to be had. Youc an park you're RV near the bridge no fee's it is a public right of way and used by many! WARNING if it rains it can be a tad muddy!!!!!!!! Will check the P.M on the site.

Tight Lines.

Default OP 1 a little advice

If conditions line up (run times, weather, etc.) you should find some good fishing. Facts on the Ahtna permit. I buy one very year, so I have no worries. I fish the area a lot and believe me you will at one point or another go on "their" land (above median high water). Ever been fishing and just wanted to get up to the next hole? Maybe its around an upland bend though? There is a lot of sand/rock bars on the river but you will need to walk some on Ahtna land (especially if fishing upstream of the bridge.) That being said Ahtna writing you a ticket is much like myself writing you a ticket. They legally have to take you to civil court and prosecute you. That would get spendy for them. Also State troopers do not enforce any of the Ahtna land use stuff. So the choice is yours. In 7 years I have only once been asked to display a permit (upstream of Rich on Klutina) As for legal access on the lower river you can stay at the Rich Bridge (crowded/free), pay a fee to stay at Sailors Pit (Ahtna), or at S.D. campground (BLM/govt.) There are also 2 legal easements to the lower river at mile 141 and Poplar Grove. Pullout at 141 were some people camp, but right on HWY. If the salmon are off you can head to Denali highway and try for grayling. If it were me I would buy the permit, have no worries, fish both the gulkana and klutina wherever you want, and concentrate on which is holding more fish. I guarentee you if you work the Klutina you will get some reds. The Gulkana can be primo for kings and some reds then but you need conditions to be good. Klutina will also be showing a few kings I buy the annual fee for $50 at Ahtna. I think day fees are $5-10.

Thanks for the information on the Fee. At $5-10 a day its not a bank breaker, but could mess with the beer funds. At the risk of sounding naive, can someone tell me if the fees go to a good cause?

I will definately be working the Klutina. Can't get any Reds here on the east coast so we will definately want to target them. Not to say we won't be looking for kings. The camping info is great also. Will be interesting since the RV will be our only mode of transportation also. There will be 4 of us and will be looking for a guide. Doesn't have to be a float just someone that could show us some good holes away from the crowds.

BTW will we need mosquito netting? Been reading some interesting things on the state bird.

OP1

Oh man June in the interior, you will encounter clouds and clouds of mosquitos, like hundreds of millions per cubic kilometer of air. Nets are a must have!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default nets?

I've lived in just that area for 27 years and have never owned a mosquito net. If you want to look like a tourist from a hundred yards away by all means wear one.
    Good quality repellent is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlakehome View Post
    I've lived in just that area for 27 years and have never owned a mosquito net. If you want to look like a tourist from a hundred yards away by all means wear one.
    Good quality repellent is all that is needed.

You are a better man than me, I lather up repellent and head net in the interior and I've lived here for 19 years (my whole life) I must be a city slicker actually on the river the bugs are never super bad and some uncle bens usually sufices when I'm fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.