Thread: Hunting/Fishing - Yentna River Area

Default Hunting/Fishing - Yentna River Area

I'm considering buying a small cabin that can serve as a weekend getaway/investment opportunity, and I'd like to be able to hunt and fish in the area. I've found one that I like on the Yentna River, but I'm not finding much info online about hunting in the area, though the fishing seems to be good. Does anyone here have any information on the hunting/fishing opportunities in the Yentna River area? Thanks.

Barron

I haven't hunted the area, but my understanding is this: Lots and lots of black bears, a fair number of brown bears, but seriously stressed moose populations. Moose hunts have been restricted in this area as of late, but have the potential to be great once again.

-Brian

my understanding is airboats and boat traffic up that way...just what i've heard i've never been there, on the ground anyway but the guys i've talked to. lotta floaters and boaters during moose season. i could be way off, just sharing what was shared with me.
    If your intersted i know a lodge for sale for a half million thats got awesome fishing, sheep, grizz, black bear and moose...four specie of salmon, lake trout, grayling and suckers..they don't bite though...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

find some clear water somewhere and the fishing rocks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Excellent fishing.
    Poor Moose Hunting
    Excellent Bear (Black and Brown) Hunting
    Excellent trapping for wolf, fox, beaver and marten
    Cabin prices have steadily increased. Price never dropped on any of them, even when you could buy a house in Anchorage, for $25K, back in '86. Cabins and remote water front property are a sound investment, providing you don't pay too much in the first place. Quite a few are for sale, but most are not listed. Some are owned as inheritance and seldom visited, and never used. I would go to the Mat Su Bor tax office, get some address' and send out a mass mailing. You would be surprised at your responses. Better deals that way. Some people don't even know it is for sale, until they have someone making inquiry, then they decide to sell. Some properties are prone to flooding. Be sure to check that little detail out.

If I'm not mistaken, moose hunting has come to an abrupt hault in that area and the only legal moose taken last season was subsitence. Seems like there was an article written recently that described the area as very good for moose population and growth but due to excessive predation previously from wolves and most currently from bears the calves have had a very low survival rate. I also saw a proposal something to the effect of allowing brown bears to be baited in that area. Who knows where that will go.

Default Thanks

Sounds like from what everyone is saying that this cabin may be just what I'm looking for. I like moose and caribou hunting, but, for this price, I may be willing to forego that opportunity and travel elsewhere for these species.

Brian - Thanks for the input. I checked the hunting unit, and it looks like, in some parts at least, I can hunt 3 black bear and 1 brown bear a year there. I love that prospect.

BRWNBR - I suppose I could deal with floaters from time to time. This place has a strip nearby that's good for Cubs, and it's a nice, centrally-located place from which to operate a hunting trip. Thanks for the tip on the lodge. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm ready to take a loan on that amount of cash as this place is selling for less than a tenth of that price.

ak-power-monkey - Were you being sarcastic here, meaning that I'll never even find clear water in the Yentna, or are there good fishing spots along the river? (not intended to sound malicious... just curious.)

Akres - Thanks for the tip on the tax office. I'm currently talking to my dad and his accountant to make sure that this is a good decision, but I'll get in touch with the tax office to see if I can find an even better deal. On the flooding, the owner said that the cabin sits on a small bluff and has proven immune to floods that have swept through many other houses in the past.

AKBighorn - I've never heard of baiting for brown bear. I'd have to find out some more info on this before I'd be willing to try it. Sounds like you agree with everyone else on the moose hunting. I guess I can handle hunting plenty of black bear and wolves in the area.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses.

Sorry to hear about the current state of affairs on the moose. I hunted that area several times back in the early 70's and there seemed to be moose everywhere. The only moose rack I've kept (71") came from there.

Better for me to let the memories lie rather than try to go back, but the good old days should give you lots of hope for what might come around again in the future. It's a terrific place to hunt, much less hike around, so I'd jump on the right cabin even if you never got to hunt a moose from it.

I hadn't heard of baiting Brownies either until last summer. There were some guys I met in the Delta area that talked about it quite abit. I didn't ask point blank if it was legal or where but it sure sounded like there are areas that it is legit.

As for the "proposal" I mentioned it is rather short but it says "Allow brown bear to be taken over bait in Unit 16B, April 15 through June 30, two bear per year, and allow the sale of hides and skulls." Not sure if it means anything but this was proposed by the Anchorage Advisory Committee.

Default Griz baiting

Yep, some areas are now open to bait griz, based on the overabundance in those areas. Yo MUST make sure you stay within the baiting boundaries, or it can get expensive for you...... They can close them at a moments notice by emergency closure, too, if too many are taken.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by BBrittingham View Post
    ak-power-monkey - Were you being sarcastic here, meaning that I'll never even find clear water in the Yentna, or are there good fishing spots along the river? (not intended to sound malicious... just curious.)
    Not positive, as I ain't been there yet, but I think the Yentna is a very silty river, like the Susitna, but there are clearwater streams that flow into it, which would be the good fishing spots.

We're also looking at buying a recreational cabin up there before too long. Having never been there, what else can y'all tell us noobs about it? Where to launch, Deshka? (I hear that's spendy) Or is there another launch...or am I way off; gimme a break if I'm dumb, it's 330 AM!!!

It is pretty much a no brainer, Deshka Landing is the best deal around. With the price of fuel and river distances, it just makes sense to launch there. Compared to all the other launches, Deshka Landing is actually cheaper. They offer a season pass for cheap, or day passes. As compared to the launches on the Kenai, a friend told me he now pays $45 bucks at Ninilchick and has to worry about where to park his tow vehicle. Right now, DL is only $27 for park and launch. DL is the only service provided to year round recreationalist and full timers living along the river.

Barron,
    The Monkey was serious. The Yentna, like most of our glacial rivers, has many small, clear water tributaries. The bulk of teh fishing is near the mouths of these streams. Salmon in particular will rest and clear their gills in these spots. Many of these are unnamed and from my limited experience...clear water = great fishing on the Yentna.

don't get really excited about baiting grizz, they did it up north..got a whopping two bears all season...eveidently no one figure that brown and black feed differently. turns out maybe they do...
    from what i heard sows and cubs like dogfood and alot of hunters spent some overnights in trees afraid to get down...lol
    BOG meeting talked quiet a bit about moose or lack of moose in unit 16, don't look good for them right now. hopefully some more dead bears will help out a bit.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Unhappy

Deshka is really your only choice for a launch @ $27 it is the most expesive launch next to Whittier or a tractor launch. It isn't cheap but what choice do we have.

You could use the Susitna landing.

Quote Originally Posted by BBrittingham View Post

Not at all, just like the susitna anywhere there is a clear water trib the fishing is really good
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.