Thread: Advise on DB291 Afognak Brown bear

Default Advise on DB291 Afognak Brown bear

My mother drew a spring tag. What do you think about staying in the Pillar Lake cabin and hunting out of it. Would you advise finding a boat also? Any help would be appreciated. I am a licensed Outfitter here in Utah so if I could return the favor about hunting down here let me know. God bless Randy

Randy,
    I hunted out of there years ago; it is a nice and cozy cabin. There was a boat there so you could cross the lake. It was a row boat.
    If I had to do it again I would bring a small motor. Maybe a 5hp to 8hp.
    It is a long row across the lake. There is a nice little lake over by Tonki Bay.Good bear trail to follow. Good area to glass from.
    Hope this wil help a little.
    Dan

I hope yer Mom is one tough cookie. I presume shes a resident. Your gonna have to go UP to find em in the spring. Bring Snowshoes

I hunted DB291 from the Pillar Lake cabin in 2008 and 2010. The first trip was a learning experience; the second trip I applied those lessons learned and was successful. PM me if you want to discuss details - for example there is NOT a small boat at the cabin: you need to bring an inflatable if you want one.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Cutter she is a resident, I think living in Alaska make everyone a tough cookie! She is getting older, glad to finally get to go hunting with her. Dan I talked with Dan at Kodiak kamps about a boat to make sure. Man I hate snowshoes, hope we don't need them

ucohokie, for some reason I cannot pm you. Maybe you could send me one and I could respond to it

It's because you're a new member - I can't PM you either. Does the contact info on your website work as a viable option?

Yes its correct. My email biggamehounds@hotmail.com or call

Email sent

I'll be there, too. I've never hunted this unit, but I've drawn Kodiak 4 other times and always had a good hunt. We even got bears on each hunt. Patience and use the full two weeks allowed after you check in. Lots of glassing. I've taken bears way up high in the snow, down in the timber, and right on the beach. Seems like you have to be ready for anything. One thing for sure, Kodiak bear hunting is absolutely one of the most fun hunts there is up here, and I've shot everything. Good luck. P.S. - I'm not competition for that cabin, I have a boat that I hunt from. If you do rent the cabin, I think you have to wait until six months before you want to use it to reserve it. At least that's the way most of the other cabins are.

Randy
    Pm me at uh_archangel@yahoo.com