Thread: Need help with trip ideas!!!

Default Need help with trip ideas!!!

HI!
    I'm from Sweden and new to this site.
    I'm planning to go canoeing/kayaking unguided somewhere in Alaska this august but I'm in desperate need of advice.

The trip should take aprox. 7-10 days
    I'm looking for a river grade 2 (easy going but with small rapids). The fishing should be good and the hiking and scenery should be great.
    The location should also be very remote and preferably without other people.

Does anyone have a location like this in mind?

Thank you all for your help!

/Mikael

Research the Alatna River. Particularly, flying in with Brooks Range Aviation (in Bettles) and getting dropped off at Circle Lake, then floating to Helpmejack Creek for a bush plane pick up. Not known as a great fishing river, but everything else should please you. Consider stashing a SOAR inflatable (you could rent) at Circle Lake and hiking up into the Arrigetch Peaks for 2-3 days, then floating the river as mentioned above. Solitude should be good unless I get time off in August.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for your quick reply. You seem to know a lot about the rivers in alaska. Do you have an email I could mail you on for some further questions?

best wishes,
    Mikael

I certainly know more than most folks in North Carolina. Email anytime, happy to share what I can.

danattherock@hotmail.com

-Dan

Picture of the Alatna...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you don't want to get a plane involved this is a great one. Its on my list. It a long long way if you do it all the way to the bridge, there will be quite of bit of oar/paddle work involved getting across the Yukon Flats.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/content/ak...rcrk_nwsr.html
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Adder,

Please PM me

vern

Quote Originally Posted by adder85 View Post
    HI!
    I'm planning to go canoeing/kayaking unguided somewhere in Alaska this august but I'm in desperate need of advice.

I'm looking for a river grade 2 (easy going but with small rapids). The fishing should be good and the hiking and scenery should be great.

/Mikael
    Here's the most important trip idea I can give you.....invite all these gals from your awesome country and have a blast!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by adder85 View Post
    HI!

/Mikael
    Hello Mikael,

One of my best recommendations would be a float trip on the Mulchatna from Turquoise Lake headwaters to take out and picking up at Marabou Landing. This trip has outstanding paddling, excellent hiking, very good fishing and awesome scenery. Water is a bit more demanding than easy going class II, however the hazards are all scout-able adding to wilderness adventure.

You also have a great back up selection on very clear waters of the Chilikadrotna in the area.

Logistics are all direct and essentially same out of Anchorage.

Both rivers have identical take-outs, and expect solitude with a leave no trace style of camping.

In August, plan on 8 days 7 nights or extend a few days more for hiking plus extra fishing time for Grayling, Rainbow, Char, Lakers, Salmon species (peaking fresh Silvers will be aggressive ) and Pike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

vern,
    I dont have permission to send private PM's yet =)

4406 Chestnut Street Plant City, FL 33566

hello,im new here.how are you guys?

check this siteaed pads