Thread: DM 412 Youth Moose Hunt

Default DM 412 Youth Moose Hunt

My daughter got lucky and drew a Point McKinzie Youth hunt. I am wondering if anyone has any infor on the area and or land owners that are hunter friendly. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    My daughter got lucky and drew a Point McKinzie Youth hunt. I am wondering if anyone has any infor on the area and or land owners that are hunter friendly. Thanks
    What is a legal moose for this hunt?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It is a youth cow hunt with the west bondary being the Little SU north boundry KGB to the junction with PT McKenzue RAod then to Ayrshire Rd west tot he gas pipeline service rout.

Wayne Brost, Tell them you heard it from the hogates.

any of the farmers out there are plenty nice, I've worked for a few of them on occasoin, Only ask ones who use "rows" its lines of brush going down the filed, usualy just as wide as the row of hay.

Thanks you all very much, she is very excited as this will be her first ever moose hunt. Also does anyone have any thoughts of taking my jet boat down the little SU for her hunt. Thanks

Any ideas on using a jet boat on the Little SU for my duaghters 412 youth hunt.

My son had this tag when he was 11 a few years ago. I had him type up a letter asking permission to hunt on the farms and then he delivered the letter to each farm. Not one farmer turned him down. It was a good lesson on how to do things right. We practiced a lot with his gun and I bought a shooting tripod for him to shoot over. Go early and often as the early season gave us several good shot opportunities but finding a moose that would hang around long enough for him to get set up on the tripod was an exercise in patience for me. He finally got his moose with one shot and it was a great experience for both of us. You can call me if you would like at 677-3536. One of the disappointing things was all the harvest ticket hunters and adult cow tag hunters in the area. Fish & Game should allow the youth hunters an extended season to improve the quality of the experience and the success rate.

The Little Su is difficult to see much from the river. You may be able to find a few spots you can climb up and see more of the country and find a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    I could put you/her on a place where you're sure to do good, and you can get a vehicle so close to the kill site that you needn't cut it up until after aging. I find there's less meat loss if left whole during the few days of aging (depending on ambient temps).

What a great kid hunt.

PM me for details.

it is a shame that they want to encourage kids to get out but do not provide them the opportunity to do it in an environement that is dedicated to just them, and on top of it limit them to only a few days. The State really needs to look into letting them hunt either earlier and or later than the general hunt and not have to compete with 50 licensed adult cow hunters and the bull hunters. It would cut down on the frustrasion and allow them to have a more quality hunt and encourage them to continue hunting as they grow older. Also i will give you a call this weekend in regards to areas.

Thanks,