Thread: need help picking a new cal. for my encore.

Default need help picking a new cal. for my encore.

I was going to get a 325wsm for my encore from MGM. However... i am told that they no longer make them or any other of the wsm's or wssm's, i cant seem to get an answer why they dont make them anymore.

Anyway, what would be a good round to take its place, i am putting a 375 HH on order and wanted one more barrel but now im lost as what to get. I already have a 338wm bolt action, 308 win encore, 6.5 grendel, and several others that cover a good range. I will get a 325 in a bolt action if i have to, i just like my encore.

thanks,
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Hey Josh, looks like if you will have a 375 barrel on it, you are covered for anything big plus you have a 338 win mag. For versitality with the Encore, you might consider something smaller, faster, flatter shooting? 22-250, 243, 270, 280, 7mm, 300 win mag? I could be wrong, but would think most of the advatages of the short mag cartridges would be lost in an Encore as it will not shorten the action of the rifle for faster reloads. There are lots of good old cartridges out there that will really shine out of your Encore. You could build a weapon system good for anything from tree rats to Elephant!

Stay safe over there and God's Speed.
    Thank You for Serving!

257 Weatherby? 257 STW? 264 Win Mag? 270 WSM or Weatherby?

Well if you range with what you have so maybe . . . a dog stopper, 223, 22-250, or a close in thumper45-70, 460S&W, 500S&W? Mostly depends on what you want to do with it though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Can I recommend a ML barrel in case you pull a tag like RFM. Couldn't hurt to have, and the ol' smoke poles are a hoot to shoot.

If not, .257 roberts or .22-250 gets my vote.

you could always get a 8mm rem mag barrel, that would duplicate the 325 ballistics and there is no downside to going with such a long cartridge in the encore.

Thanks everyone, some good ideas here. I have been thinking of the 264 win mag. ive also been thinking of getting one or 2 of the really short rifle barrels for my TC...

I talked to MGM again and they will build me a Rem 700 in 325 wsm so i just need to get a mate SS 700 action to send to him.
    Josh

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

16" threaded barrel for 300 BLK! then get yourself a nice suppressor to screw on the end. your overall lenght will be about 38" and should make for a handy compact suppressed rifle. The guys at SRT have done a couple intergrally suppress 44 mag fast twist encore barrels that are supposedly pellet gun quite and shoot 300+ grain 44 cal bullets... should work nice for quietly getting rid of critters quietly
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I think i will go with the 280 AI.
    Josh

Thumbs up The 270

I would look at the 270.

God bless and thank you for your service to our country!

Then there is always the wonderful .25-06!! Been shooting mine since building her around 1966 or 7--

The funnest gun I own and one I will never part with is my Encore in 375 Winchester. I can shoot this gun free handed better than anything I have ever owned!

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Then there is always the wonderful .25-06!! Been shooting mine since building her around 1966 or 7--
    i had one in a H&R but there were problems with the chamber, the base of the brass would bulge making it hard to eject brass. Im thinking of getting it re-chambered to something larger, not sure what yet.
    I like the 25-06 but i would be tempted to get it in 6.5-06... which is a very tempting thing to do.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by La Pine View Post
    I would look at the 270.

God bless and thank you for your service to our country!
    Thanks.

I know the 270 is a really good round but for me it is too popular. im not too big on the overly popular rounds, its just not my thing. Thats why i wont own a 30-06 (or most of the 30cal family), heck it took me 38 years to get a 308.
    Josh

Looks like you have the mid range covered, so maybe one of the 45 cal 45/70 460S&W, or one of the 22cal , I've got the 221 in contender and the 223 in both, these are a lot of fun and cheap to shoot, especially if you reload.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    Looks like you have the mid range covered, so maybe one of the 45 cal 45/70 460S&W, or one of the 22cal , I've got the 221 in contender and the 223 in both, these are a lot of fun and cheap to shoot, especially if you reload.
    Alex
    Ive got several 223's one for my TC, and i love them all. I also have the 450 Bushmaster for my AR-15... another awesome round, and very accurate out to 250yds (pretty much the max for that round).

The more i look at the 280 AI the more i like it....
    Josh