Thread: Drew a DC480 caribou, have a ?

Default Drew a DC480 caribou, have a ?

What is the name of this herd? Not trying to get any specific info as I plan to do plenty of scouting. Just want to know the name of the herd and do some research on the number of animals in the herd.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I know your just joking... But, It's called the "MEchina" herd..(grin) About 50,000 animals. My family and I have a history of Hunting those 'Bou since the '40's. But, at this point I would like to see it go to an ALL "Draw" hunt.... But, only for 5yr+ residents.

Thanks, with a little searching I found the name of the herd right after I posted. Kinda feel stupid now. Why do you call it the MEchina herd? Looks like it's gonna be difficult finding access with all the Ahtna lands up there.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

You can purchase an access pass from Ahtna go to there office in Glenallen, they have maps and will give you the info. it doesn't cost that much.

or just drive in on one of the 200 four wheeler trails that have been made by the folks that "hunted those 'bou since the 40's."
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Thanks, with a little searching I found the name of the herd right after I posted. Kinda feel stupid now. Why do you call it the MEchina herd? Looks like it's gonna be difficult finding access with all the Ahtna lands up there.
    Hard to access? There is a major highway running right through the middle of the unit. The hardest choice for the hunter will be what form of the many available options of access to use (ATV, boat, plane, foot, road hunt, etc...). Just have to hope the hunt is still open when you go out since the tier I people get first crack at things and the hunt will be shut down once the quota (yet to be determined) is reached.