Thread: Ds140

Default Ds140

Well I drew my first tag in AK and as the title implies its sheep with a bow. I plan to do all the hard work and spend the summer scouting around and doing my due diligence. If, however, anyone wants to share any information with me, I'll be glad to listen to your advice and I would be very appreciative. Thank you!

Eric

*edit - Yes I have used the search function, it's part of my due diligence.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I have drawn that tag. By the time everyone else is done hunting sheep in the hunts before yours, they will have been pushed all over the country side by then. Summer scouting is great exercise, but hiring a plane a couple days before your hunt is the best bet at finding where the sheep are holding. Weather that time of the year can really be a challenge.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm curious - The harvest statistics for this hunt show no ewe's being taken with this any sheep permit for as far back as it will let me search. Is this one of those unspoken rules? I understand holding out for a monster ram, I guess I'm just surprised that no one is shooting ewe's, even if it is last minute to fill the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I'm curious - The harvest statistics for this hunt show no ewe's being taken with this any sheep permit for as far back as it will let me search. Is this one of those unspoken rules? I understand holding out for a monster ram, I guess I'm just surprised that no one is shooting ewe's, even if it is last minute to fill the tag.

I was ready to shoot a baby, totally legal. I figured I wasn't going home empty handed if I didn't have to. Yeah, whatever I know some guys are not like me, but hey. Food is food and it is legal! So why not. I know one guy who has shot a ewe on the 141 permit I think, same permit I had, the sept. hunt. Anyways I ended up missing two nice rams and saw some others, ram and smaller one maybe an ewe or small ram, but no time left and was happy with myself for missing two nice ones just seconds apart. Bummer with an empty tag, but getting that close with a bow and a buddy is success right there. Wind and steep angles foiled my shot, but fun none the less. If all I saw was babies and ewes at 15 yards, I would have dropped either one!

I had a lamb so close that I could have poked him with my walking stick. He'd poke his head around a rock and look at me and then leave. I'd baaahhh like a sheep and he'd come right back. This went on for 20 minutes. I could hear his mom above me in the rocks. She would come to 60 yards, but that was about it. I couldn't bring myself to shoot a ewe with a lamb, but if another lambless ewe would have show up I would have taken her. We managed to get on three rams within 35 yards but my buddy blew his shot and ran them out of the country. We had 50 ewes and lambs around us for two days on that hunt.

We probably had the best weather ever seen for that October hunt. I think it was 2006... Sunny and clear for most of the sheep season that year and not even that cold. We never scored, but that lamb experience was one of my top hunting memories.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I forgot to add. FWIW I can keep secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I had a lamb so close that I could have poked him with my walking stick. He'd poke his head around a rock and look at me and then leave. I'd baaahhh like a sheep and he'd come right back. This went on for 20 minutes. I could hear his mom above me in the rocks. She would come to 60 yards, but that was about it. I couldn't bring myself to shoot a ewe with a lamb, but if another lambless ewe would have show up I would have taken her. We managed to get on three rams within 35 yards but my buddy blew his shot and ran them out of the country. We had 50 ewes and lambs around us for two days on that hunt.

We probably had the best weather ever seen for that October hunt. I think it was 2006... Sunny and clear for most of the sheep season that year and not even that cold. We never scored, but that lamb experience was one of my top hunting memories.
    I drew this tag this year as well. I have big plans this time. I drew it 10yrs ago and got a 1/2 curl ram on the last day. Had a few opportunities at bigger rams but the angles or the wind had me hesitant and I didn't shoot. Closest shot was 46yds over a cliff edge. Like some others have said, hold out for a dandy if possible, but if you can get a legal sheep, by all means take it. I personally won't take a ewe w/ a lamb, but that's me. Anyhow, any sheep with a bow is an accomplishment. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I drew this tag this year as well. I have big plans this time. I drew it 10yrs ago and got a 1/2 curl ram on the last day. Had a few opportunities at bigger rams but the angles or the wind had me hesitant and I didn't shoot. Closest shot was 46yds over a cliff edge. Like some others have said, hold out for a dandy if possible, but if you can get a legal sheep, by all means take it. I personally won't take a ewe w/ a lamb, but that's me. Anyhow, any sheep with a bow is an accomplishment. Best of luck!
    Your shot sound similar to my two shots, 45 and 56 yards over a cliff. While up there I found a smashed up arrow. I think it blazer vanes though and not sure when those exactly came out. It was carbon arrow. Never took a pic and can't remember. I think it had orange vanes. Just sparked my memory is all. Areas had been hunted, but not like the other areas I visited. That spot if my "honey hole" for sheep and bears. Might hit this spring for blackies or in the fall if time.