Thread: I was totally confused

Default I was totally confused

Man, being a first year hunter here messed with my head when it came to all of the draw stuff. I mean, it is nice to get permits, but I guess I should have read the regs before I got all down. I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to get a sheep or caribou unless I got a permit, but not so! Now I don't see what the big deal is over the permits. I mean, yeah, nice to get in some good areas, but heck, I can still go get one caribou and one sheep with just a license and harvest ticket, not to mention a grizz, a few black bears, and a moose. I think that should supply plenty of hunting activity for me in a year, not to mention wolves, coyotes, lynx, and all the smaller stuff I can get. I am not nearly as bummed now. I thought I had to wait until the fall of 2012 to get a 'bou and only if I got a permit! LOL These F&G regs have me scared!

So tell me though, what is the BIG advantage to getting a permit? Just getting to kill a cow and/or getting an area easier to reach?

I am not an experienced sheep hunter, but even I know that drawing a sheep permit is a really big deal, you can access some outstanding areas with one, but like you said, there is still oppurtunity for a sheep without one.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I am not an experienced hunter at all. I am fairly certain moose hunting won't be too hard since I will be with a group that knows their stuff and they basically aren't hard to find where we will go. Bears seem to be fairly straightforward and I feel confident that I will get one. The caribou and sheep seem to be the toughest as far as locating them and actually bagging one. I suppose the permits are big for those reasons - prime spots to get one. I am thinking I may have to go to the Tok area to get a caribou and really hoof it up some mountains to get a sheep anywhere. But hey, that is part of the fun of the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I am not an experienced hunter at all. I am fairly certain moose hunting won't be too hard since I will be with a group that knows their stuff and they basically aren't hard to find where we will go. Bears seem to be fairly straightforward and I feel confident that I will get one. The caribou and sheep seem to be the toughest as far as locating them and actually bagging one. I suppose the permits are big for those reasons - prime spots to get one. I am thinking I may have to go to the Tok area to get a caribou and really hoof it up some mountains to get a sheep anywhere. But hey, that is part of the fun of the hunt!
    That is exactly why sheep tags are such a big deal, without one, there are not too many places you can just hoof it up a mountain to get one with much of a chance at success. Moose hunting may seem fairly easy, I have killed several, but have gone 0 for 3 the last three year, it can be frustrating for sure. It is good you are going with guys that are successfull in a good area.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    So tell me though, what is the BIG advantage to getting a permit? Just getting to kill a cow and/or getting an area easier to reach?
    The primary advantage for me is the distance I have to travel and the cost associated with it... I can hunt sheep in the Brooks after getting myself to the Brooks, likely involving a spendy air charter...I can hunt DS203 by walking off my back porch!