Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Speed vs Single Speed Reels

Default Two Speed vs Single Speed Reels

Since I had no luck in the draw this year I thought I move forward on my other addiction.....fishing. So I'm looking to get a nice reel and have settled on the Avet JX but I can't decide if the two speed is worth the extra $120. What do you guys think? Its a 6/3 two speed or a 4.6 single speed. Any opinions or advice?

I'm with you on the tags. i had to get out of the hunting forum.

I don't own one, but I've used it. I'm going to try avoiding "it depends on......" and tell you how I've used it. Fishing deep, and using bait I would say go for it. It really helps checking bait. If you jig fish more, I would say no.

Hear & see lots of folks fishing w/ the Avet reels these days & although I don't own any but have tried several different models on previous trips for both jigging & bottom fishing {big & small fish hookups} -- what's so special about these reels that makes them so popular w/ the fishing community? ""Not a slam on the reels, just a question"".

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Since I had no luck in the draw this year I thought I move forward on my other addiction.....fishing. So I'm looking to get a nice reel and have settled on the Avet JX but I can't decide if the two speed is worth the extra $120. What do you guys think? Its a 6/3 two speed or a 4.6 single speed. Any opinions or advice?

2 speed reals are ok, but IMO not worth the extra coin, plus they add more parts to potentially break. I guess if I was rich, I would buy them, but I am not so I don't
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I use Avet exw 3/0 two speeds on my charter boat. Do I need or use the two speed answer is no. At the time I purchased them the only thing they offered them in was a two speed set up. I like the Avets been using them for 5 years and have had no break downs. Down side to the Avets is the reel clamp and the nut that connects to the stub. Corrosion between the stainless and aluminum is a pain. It would have been better if they had used a stainless reel clamp. Also parts are really expensive. For a good reel that will not eat you out of house and home go with the Daiwa Sealine in either the 450h or 600H size.

Thanks for the advice folks. As much as I appreciate your experience and thoughts on which reel to buy I've settled on the Avet JX. Kidless, I've settled on the Avet because it super smooth, reliable, and light. They may be a bit over priced since they are the thing to have but I've never heard someone say they wish they didn't get it.

Thanks Grizzly Man and hoose35 for the thoughts and back to my question. What are the advantages of the 2 speed and is it worth the extra money? I'm trying to get my mind off of no sheep and no goats this year. Bummer!

I have only one really good reel and that is my 2-speed Avet.
    Great having the low gear when you get a big fish on, and high gear for reeling in smaller fish or checking bait. You won't miss not having a 2-speed reel unless you've tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I have only one really good reel and that is my 2-speed Avet.
    Great having the low gear when you get a big fish on, and high gear for reeling in smaller fish or checking bait. You won't miss not having a 2-speed reel unless you've tried one.
    This is what most folks that have two speeds tell me. I'm far from a rich man so I'm just trying to get an idea if its worth the extra $120 for the two speed. Heck I would be half way to another single speed if I saved the $120 and bought a single speed to start with. So if you were to go back and buy another reel would you buy another 2 speed or would you save the money and buy a single speed? That all being said I'm leaning towards a 2 speed to find out for myself if its worth the money.

PatrickL, I have 30 or so Avet reels and would not buy anything else. When you get 5 plus years without any breakdowns or extensive maintenance in the long run they are not that expensive. Before I got my first Avet I was going through my penn's a couple times a year so if you average it over time I would say the cost is comparable and you get to fish with a very high quality reel. As for the two speed if you are going with the bigger reels like the EX3/02 or the older EX4/02 I like the two speed and especially for kids or ladies fishing for halibut as it gives them some power. In a reel the size of the JX I don't think you need the 2 speed but that is just my opinion. On a side note the HX series reels seem to need bearings every other year. Not sure what they did different but the bearings don't seem to hold up as good in that series of reel.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Charterboat Operator

We like the Avet Raptor series! it's a the hot rod of stand up big game reels far as we are concerned! low maintenance! check out the new SX Raptors! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    This is what most folks that have two speeds tell me. I'm far from a rich man so I'm just trying to get an idea if its worth the extra $120 for the two speed. Heck I would be half way to another single speed if I saved the $120 and bought a single speed to start with. So if you were to go back and buy another reel would you buy another 2 speed or would you save the money and buy a single speed? That all being said I'm leaning towards a 2 speed to find out for myself if its worth the money.
    You don't need to fish with a 2 speed reel for very long to decide if you think it is worth it or not. How about borrowing one from a friend for a day or two, or making sure that the next boat you charter has one? I like them in high when I am reeling up a jig from 300' and like them in low when I am winching up 3# of lead and 2# of bait from any depth. I am doing both of those all the time. It is handy to have a 2 speed for big fish, but that happens so rarely (at least for me) that that wouldn't be my primary reason for buying a 2 speed.
    For reference, my go to reel for all but the lightest or heaviest halibut fishing I do is a Shimano TLD-15. I will fish a TLD-20 II for the real heavy stuff.

Big_E

Thanks again for all the insight. So what's the added benefits of the Raptor series? I know the M.C. has a magnetic cast control to reduce backlash but I don't have trouble with that. So what's the benefit of the Raptor. Any other opinions on 2 speed vs single speed?

Thanks for all the replies. It sure has helped get my mind off the draw results.

I've had several of both and my buddy has 60-70 reels in his Baja lodge and we both agree.....go single speed for less amintenance and upgrade the crank.....I like cranks by Reel Colors.....or on my Shimanos, I can often install the crank from the next size up....

Charterboat Operator

patrickl. First of all don't get me wrong, we like all the makes of Avet for trolling and bottom fishing! I wish I could afford one or two of each! A lot of the charter cats around Homer run the avet 30's, the pro ex 3.8.1. Kick ass reel! and holds up to Grandma and the kids doin bait checks in the rod holder time and time again, it ways 47oz and will get 37" per crank! it's a bad boy for AK fishin! but if your going to be doin alot of jigging with the rod, flippin jigs, and holding the rod all day, I have the Raptor JX 6/3.m.c and you can still put 300 yards of 80 pound on it, it ways 24oz and you can rip that jig back in for another shot before your off your reef structure at 46" per crank! Like the other guy said, try to barrow some of these reels your looking at for a few trips before you commit and find whats best for ya!!!!!

PatrickL, the raptor has an enormous amount of drag. Not that you need or will ever use it but the reason for the design is so you can set your drag lower based on the drag capacity of the reel and it puts way less sideways pressure on the bearings to increase their life expectancy. Hope that makes sense.

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Partick,

A friend gave me a nice custom halibut rod as a thank you after our Inside Passage trip. With such a nice pole, I figured I needed to get a nice reel so I got a nice 2 speed reel recommended by B&J's. It is OK, but nothing great. For checking bait with the weights I typically use, the high speed setting is a bit too high. I don't know that I would change out any other reels to two speed when they need to be replaced.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks again. Sounds like its a pretty even 50/50 split. I don't use my gear anywhere near as much as a charter or lodge but it does get used. While I do take very good care of my gear it gets enough use to break the cheap stuff.

Back on subject, I do like the idea of having both speeds but I'm guessing when my wife or dad get their hands on this setup I'll never see it again.....and I know my dad's reading this so he's probably already planning on using it this this summer . Anyway, if I bought a single speed and save that $120, that would save a third or quarter of the cost of the rod/reel setup. I might be able to pick up another setup later in the year. Also, I was thinking of getting something even lighter for jigging rocks. I really prefer fishing as light as possible. All that being said, I just can't settle on not buying one cadillac setup and going from there.

The advice to borrow a friends setup is a good one. I just don't know many folks that have a boat let alone ocean fishing gear. Hence why I'm here. Of course, I'm trying to drown my sorrows from the draw and there's nothing better than some gear for fishing or the boat. Thanks again and keep it coming.

I believe you would be happy with a single-speed Avet. My two-speed was a splurge for me. Is it worth the extra coin? That depends, in my opinion, on how much you can spend vs. what you are willing to spend.

Oh, I bought my reel at Mountain View Sports while the sports show was going on (April this year I think). Got a better price there than anywhere else in town or on the internet.

Between Jrodgers and Skydiver I think I've been talked into saving the $120 and getting a single speed. My wifes not gonna believe it Of course I still need to sleep on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast