Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of birds dead or alive

Default Source of birds dead or alive

I need some birds for training my lab. I'd prefer live pigeons but dead ducks would work just fine. any have any in the freezer they would part with? or any sources to find some live pigeons would be awesome!
    Thanks

+1 on needing this. PM me after you PM Griffin because I need some too!

Where are you guys at?

This forum member has some geese.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ot-Goose-quot-......
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Couple other forum members have birds, SMHBirds and Huntress. I know both have live quail, Huntress also has pigeons and SMHBirds has mallards.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Thanks. I am in the Wasilla/Houston area. I know Huntress. I will check with her.

AK can you pass me her info?

Try Craigslist or Alaskaslist for birds. I bought a couple of live ducks for $10 off a nice family out in the valley last year. If you'd prefer they be dead, well then do what you do best!

Griffin - heard from her today and she doesn't have any pigeons to part with right now, but she is going to check around and will let me know if she comes up with some. I will let you know.

I have a few drake mallards in my freezer vacume sealed whole I shot in early Dec..I saved a bunch to mount but could part with one.. I will gladly gift it to you.. just have to come pick it up..

Hoytguy

Well Griffin has dibs, but if he passes, count me second!

This reading may be of interest before you use "hunted" game birds for training purposes. The dog clubs buy raised birds for trainig and testing.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...wlhunting.dogs

If you were in Fairbanks I would give you a couple farmed mallards.

I will have some pigeon this summer our family is just moving into a new place north of Fairbanks, and it will take me some time to rebuild the coops. Hopefully by July we will have some young birds ready to fly. we raise a racing Homer for sport and white kings for meat, along with a few other fancy breeds in the summers.

Hey Huey, thanks for checking with me. I haven't found anything as of yet but will keep looking! We'll have some more pigeons here this summer, right now all I have are two bonded pairs so I won't be parting with them. Certainly keep me in mind for later though.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

A person can legally "GIFT" a migratory bird.. considering it was harvested in the general season and by legal means.. what the recipient chooses to do with it is on "THEM"..

My suggestion would be to cut the wings off, and use them.. The birds are fresh so heck, you could even de breast and eat the meat.. I used to do this with my lab from a puppy.. start with a wing of say a teal.. then go to 2 wings.,,, as the dog grows, up the size of bird wing.. or "bird".. the bird scent will be on the wing anyway.. using this techniqe combined with others will prevent them from developing a (hard mouth) and chomping down.. once the training session is over, put it back in the freezer to remain fresh.. One could even tape a couple wings on a rubber bumper of choice.... their are hundred of options out their imo..besided reading between the lines and automatically assuming something is illegal and posting it on the forum, But I guess that is just the nature of some people eh?

AK Explorer, you are welcome to one if you wish..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    A person can legally "GIFT" a migratory bird.. considering it was harvested in the general season and by legal means.. what the recipient chooses to do with it is on "THEM"..

My suggestion would be to cut the wings off, and use them.. The birds are fresh so heck, you could even de breast and eat the meat.. I used to do this with my lab from a puppy.. start with a wing of say a teal.. then go to 2 wings.,,, as the dog grows, up the size of bird wing.. or "bird".. the bird scent will be on the wing anyway.. using this techniqe combined with others will prevent them from developing a (hard mouth) and chomping down.. once the training session is over, put it back in the freezer to remain fresh.. One could even tape a couple wings on a rubber bumper of choice.... their are hundred of options out their imo..besided reading between the lines and automatically assuming something is illegal and posting it on the forum, But I guess that is just the nature of some people eh?

AK Explorer, you are welcome to one if you wish..
    Hoytguy -
    Sorry if I offended you - it certainly was not my intention and I did not try to post it that way - You have read more into my post than I intended. Having been involved with a local retriever traing club for years I was aware of the rule of removing the breast meat before using the bird for training. We had to buy several hundred each year at 16 to 18 dollars each for our hunt tests and have been checked on occasion. I merely wanted the OP to be aware of that rule. I figured posting the link would eliminate the arguing about it.

I did think that this forum was for sharing information and thought that my knowledge from being involved in the training of labs for years was helpful. I guess back at you on the quickness to take offense - "But I guess that is just the nature of some people eh?"

My original post in this thread was to offer birds out of my freezer had the OP been in my area.

No problem, Deb. Sorry I misses you guys last night. Got busy and lost track of time. It is staying light longer, so I thought it was earlier than it was! Is there a meeting next month?

Sure was a good meeting! Our last one of the year will be next month. Hope to see you there!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I still have the three dead geese, for free. Or I sell live geese for $40.00 each. Trained "Killer" yard protecting Attack Geese are a little more. Or you can have three live geese for $99.00 you could have a gaggle by fall. The Tulouse are a very large goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I have a few drake mallards in my freezer vacume sealed whole I shot in early Dec..I saved a bunch to mount but could part with one.. I will gladly gift it to you.. just have to come pick it up..

Hoytguy
    I was outta the loop for a few and prob missed out on this but if you still have one I'll take it! PM me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast