Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft vs Weldcraft

Default Hewescraft vs Weldcraft

I know Dewey's carriers both these boats. After looking over both at the boat show and comparing them, it is tough to decide. There is a ton of information from owners on the Hewescraft's but not much on the Weldcrafts" I am mostly refering to the Ocean Pro and the 24" and 26' Hewes and the 22', 24" and 26" Weldcrafts. All hard Top extended transoms.

How about your replys on your boats and experineces? Weldcraft owners let us your know your experiences?

Both being very nice boats, what about the dead rise differences? Worthyness (sp) on the ocean.

My plans will be mostly Whittier and Seward, with occasionaly Homer.

Default Comparison

If you go to Yamaha's website and work your way through their website they have technical bulletins specific to how their motors peform with the hewescraft and the weldcraft. My browser is having fits so I can't get the link for you.

Hope this helps

Default Comparison

Thanks, I have done that, and of course they haven't done the same testing with the comparable Hewes.

I am looking more for real and personal experince

Cool

I have been on both a 22' et ht hewescraft 150 yamaha, and a 22' hewescraft et ht ocean pro 175 suzuki, and set food on a weldcraft et ht. The regular hewescraft is pretty tippy at rest but still a good boat and takes the seas nicely (that is why it is tippy). (I've got one friend who has one)

The 22 hewes oceanpro is a vastly better boat, stable at rest and handles the seas well (its a bit wider but not too much hewescraft did a fine job on this one). (I've got another who has one also... I think it is the better of the two hewescrafts).

The weldcraft was stable but I think might vault over the seas a bit more than the hewes being a bit more beamy.

Everyone and their brother has a hewescraft though... a plus or a minus depending on your view. Test drive, test drive, test drive em all. It really irks me when you are looking to spend 40-80K on a boat and the dealer doesn't want to let you take a spin. DO IT and see for yourself. Perhaps Deweys will let you test them all if you have some agreement that in the end you will buy from them... I dunno its a thought.

Sobie2

Default Sobie2

Thanks, for that info. I guess I need better firends :-) I haven't had a chance to ride in any thing myself. At the Boat show the hewes dealer rep. was there and I suggested that it would be nice to have a demo to rent, and he just laughed.

I have considered renting the OP in Whittier to try it, but having no Weldcraft to rent and compare doesn't do much. For the 50K or so amount we spend, it sure would be nice to try them. Your suggestion about Dewey';s is good and I will have check tha tout. There are many many post on the lovers of the Hewes, but hardly no post from the lovers of the Weldcraft.

Please keep you opinions coming.

One thing you might not know is Weldcraft comes with a sharkhide already applied and hewes doesn't. this is minor but some people don't want to miss with appling it. They are both good boats. But I love my Hewes.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You will find more deadrise information on the new Weldcraft website. I think even Deweys will tell you the Hewescraft will provide the better ride in the water you will see in Seward and Whittier than the Weldcraft, otherwise they wouldn't be rigged with suspension seating. Deweys also has performance data on all of their boats from their test runs they do on each configuration. More deadrise = better ride = more power required = more $$$. However the Weldcraft has more cosmetic features, carpeted cabin and storage areas, and visually appears to be a bigger boat. The Weldcraft 22' Ocean King is also 800# heavier than the 22' Ocean Pro, if you use the 1hp per 25# rule, you will need another 32hp for the Weldcraft. The fact that there are tons of Hewescraft owners I believe is a positive thing, they even have their own discussion group on MSN. Sharkhide is also a factory option from Hewescraft if you order the boat, not sure about Deweys stock. I agree with your delima and find myself pondering the same questions, and am anxiously awaiting your decision.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    I agree with your delima and find myself pondering the same questions, and am anxiously awaiting your decision.
    Me too, I wish he'd just buy one already, sheesh.

Default SkinneyRaven

All good points and you are seeing what I have found. I thought I was sure I wanted the hewes and then when seeing some of the details on the Weldcraft, I had to re-think. The cabin space is wider as the seats are closer to the boat sides, the bunk seats are longer, the seats of course are nicer, the storage near the ceiling is much nicer and ....
    Like you state seems like everyone has a Hewes, and they are very happy with them.

Sure wish some Weld craft owners would let me know how they like their boats!!!

Oh and I think AKBighorn wants to be my friend, especially when I get my boat, Oh he already is!!!!

I got in the Weldcraft and while I liked a few of the features overall there is more I like about the Ocean Pro. Every boat has pros and cons and in the end I liked more about the Ocean Pro than the Ocean King. Have had the boat out several times now and am very pleased with my descision.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default I own a Weldcraft 220 Oceanking

My Oceanking has a Yamaha 150 and an 8 kicker. Neighbor has the Oceanpro with the same motors. I have driven both and we have gone together several times. We even ended up propped the same. I would not trade my boat for the Oceanpro. The Hewes will outrun my boat by a couple MPH top end. I way like how my boat is finished over the Hewes, it has a bigger, better layed out cabin and is a quieter ride with carpeted cabin. The boats perform very comparably in slop. My boat came with wash down pump and very good fish box in the floor. The boats were the same price last year, but I am very happy I opted for the Weldcraft. Both boats are being sharkhided. Look under the bows on the boats at Deweys you can see the line where they stopped. The boats have almost identical specs. but I believe mine weighs a little more. I don't believe either companies claim on weight. My Oceankings top speed is 38 MPH full of fuel. I cruise at 30 MPH and 4800 RPM's.

trapperbob, what prop did you end up using? I have been trying a few different props and am always curious what others are using with similar setups.

Default prop

Yamaha 15 1/4" X 15 black steel prop. 15M. How about you.

Same one, there is a Yamaha 13 3/4 X 17 black steel I am considering trying. Right now I get 38mph WOT at 5700RPM which is good but I had tried another 17pitch prop and the fuel econ was better. I am considering trying the other prop in hope that the change in diameter will make up for the change in pitch on the RPMs and maybe have a little better fuel econ. If it does then I will buy one of each that way when running heavy loads I can use the 15 pitch and on lighter days run the 17 pitch.

Default Weldcraft

Boy I didn't get much of a repsonse back on the Weldcraft owners?? A couple, but certainly more about the hewes, It would seem either the Weldcraft owners are to few or they don't like thier boats much??

Still waiting for input from you Weldecraft owners!!

Well I'd like to revive this thread........ Last post nine years ago. Now with a lot of substantial changes made to the ocean pro 220 I feel the Hewes is certainly a step ahead of weldcraft 22 ocean king! Anyone else feel this way?

Hewescraft is now rated at 250hp, and has a 100 gallon tank, 35 deg bow, 20 deg mid ship, and 14 deg deadrise and they messed with the cabin a bit to give you more fish deck. But the Weldcraft has the walk through transom and is rated for 300hp 30 deg bow, 28 deg mid ship, and 18 deg deadrise. Still both great boats, and you rarely ever see either on the used market (even though this past August I have seen a handful of OceanPros and two Ocean Kings on CL.

Sobie2

Do your research on hull design, especially full-hard reverse chine. Iíve got the Weldcraft Rebel, which is about 20 foot OAL. The Rebel and on up to the Ocean King and Cuddy King models all have hard reverse chine, which creates better stability, and allows you to plane at a lot lower RPMs so there is some economic advantages running this type of hull.

When I do upgrade to an off shore boat it will either be the Weldcraft Cuddy King or the Duckworth OS. Weldcraft and Duck are basically the same boat built in the same shop, with some small differences in bow design. Ducks tend to come with more base options then the other and tend to be a little pricier on base models.

You canít go wrong on a Weldcraft, but the Hewes will most likely be a bit less $$$ for the same size boat and options. Hope that helps.

Good luck and keep us posted -

Feel free to PM and talk to me about my 30' Weldcraft cuddy. All you have to do is take a look at each of them and that will show you the difference in how solid each of them are built
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

We loved our Hewescraft, but every Weldcraft I ever stepped foot on was much nicer built. Nicer welds, better layout and even rode better in my opinion.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast