Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 Tier I Caribou Tags

Default Unit 13 Tier I Caribou Tags

Looks like just over 3100 people opted for the guaranteed Tier I tag. Has anyone figured out how many of the drawing permits they awarded for Unit 13 caribou? The supplement said TBA on the numbers available.

some excel magic comes up with. these are all unit 13 hunts. I didn't look at the others. I have my T1 so just have to figure out the when. probably early rather than October.

DC480 325
    DC481 150
    DC482 325
    DC483 325

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    some excel magic comes up with. these are all unit 13 hunts. I didn't look at the others. I have my T1 so just have to figure out the when. probably early rather than October.

DC480 325
    DC481 150
    DC482 325
    DC483 325
    I drew the DC480, just hope the season is still open when I get around to hunting it. Either way, I have the option hunting moose/caribou in other areas if this isn't available when I get out there. My dad stole my Ft. Rich archery permit ;( Not complaining though. He'll need a pack mule, so I can still get in on at least part of that hunt with him.

I'll be up there opening day and I plan on shooting a big ass bull in velvet. I know just where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I drew the DC480, just hope the season is still open when I get around to hunting it. Either way, I have the option hunting moose/caribou in other areas if this isn't available when I get out there. My dad stole my Ft. Rich archery permit ;( Not complaining though. He'll need a pack mule, so I can still get in on at least part of that hunt with him.
    I also drew DC480, I haven't seen a draw hunt ever closed by EO. Whats everyones opinion? will they take away Drawing tickets or close a tier 1 hunt, if there quotas reached?

Quote Originally Posted by spikehunter View Post
    I also drew DC480, I haven't seen a draw hunt ever closed by EO. Whats everyones opinion? will they take away Drawing tickets or close a tier 1 hunt, if there quotas reached?
    They routinely close the tier I/II when the quota is reached. I wouldn't put it past them to do it with this hunt. They have said they will be watching it closely. The good news is that the caribou are usually spread out fairly well early in the season, so there shouldn't be the mass killing we see in some of the winter hunts. Hopefully the herd does well this winter and there is a decent quota come fall. Fingers are crossed.

My gut feeling is that the Tier I folks will hit them hard and the people working hard will succeed. The season will close after the first 2 weeks and all the draw people will find their season closed. I hope not, but that is my gut feeling.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

My little bro drew the Tier 1... looks like I'll be planning a hunt with him! I goaded him into it- he didn't want to lose the chance to hunt moose locally, but the cold hard truth of the matter is, in 25 years' residence, he's not shot a moose yet! So we'll try extra hard for his bou, and I might get a chance at a moose on the hunt, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    My little bro drew the Tier 1... looks like I'll be planning a hunt with him! I goaded him into it- he didn't want to lose the chance to hunt moose locally, but the cold hard truth of the matter is, in 25 years' residence, he's not shot a moose yet! So we'll try extra hard for his bou, and I might get a chance at a moose on the hunt, as well.
    Could have been planning that hunt from the day he applied. The tier I permits were guaranteed for anyone who applied for them. Good luck. It's a great area to hunt and you never know, you may stumble across a moose while out there.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    but the cold hard truth of the matter is, in 25 years' residence, he's not shot a moose yet!
    Man he needs to take up golf then ,Or put his name on the road kill list
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Bottom line is, if you plan on getting a Tier 1 caribou, don't plan on hunting moose at the same time, as caribou season will open before the moose season does. I suspect that the caribou quota will be reached in less than three weeks. Unless the state has the August 15th moose season this year,(which I hope they don't, it was way too warm and buggy), the chances of hunting both moose and caribou on the same trip are nearly zero. Be safe out there, with the way the state has been managing the caribou in Unit 13 in the last couple of years, it puts a lot of people in the field "racing" to fill their tag.

Daughter got drawn for DC483.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    Bottom line is, if you plan on getting a Tier 1 caribou, don't plan on hunting moose at the same time, as caribou season will open before the moose season does. I suspect that the caribou quota will be reached in less than three weeks. Unless the state has the August 15th moose season this year,(which I hope they don't, it was way too warm and buggy), the chances of hunting both moose and caribou on the same trip are nearly zero. Be safe out there, with the way the state has been managing the caribou in Unit 13 in the last couple of years, it puts a lot of people in the field "racing" to fill their tag.
    Is this because you have to hunt moose in the same unit you take a tier 1 caribou?

Yep.

I've got my tag, but I usually hunt moose in 13, so it won't change much. Definitely going to make things more interesting come time for moose season, locking all those people into hunting 13. Though I expect with the costs of going to Denali long enough to have much chance of success will mean alot of families bang a bou, and then don't come back for a moose hunt. Or the Father/son takes a bou, and the other a moose in a closer area.

Does ADF&G post the quotas anywhere?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Does ADF&G post the quotas anywhere?
    They'll likely post a harvest objective when the season is close to opening. That information isn't really available until they look at the spring calf crop and winter survival rates.

While there will certainly be a lot of people out in August, I'd be surprised if the hunt is closed as quickly as some are anticipating. The caribou are far more spread out in August than they are in October, so it's not going to look anything like this past winter's Tier I hunt.

July 24

The brown spot in the middle is a bear.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Cool pictures, dirt. Fair point that they certainly can be found in large herds in the summer, but it's less common. My bet is that it'll go through September 20th, but may not re-open in October. All of this, of course, is dependant upon what they set the harvest quota at. If over 2,200 I stand by my prediction. Oh, and if I'm wrong, I'll certainly find an excuse for it.

i'll be dropping my caribou first chance i get, screwed up last year by waiting...won't happen again. i'll bring the wife on a trip with a client and have her shoot it.
    but i wouldn't be suprised to see the draw hunt closed early as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Can the tier I permit be proxied?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast