Thread: Interior GPS boating "Maps"

Default Interior GPS boating "Maps"

I use a Garmin GPS with the bluewater chip on my salt boat and just love it. I have a question for you folks who hunt and fish in the fresh water and interior.
    Does Garmin have anything similar for navigating rivers and such when running in fresh water? Lots of twists and turns up here and would like to have a gps mounted on river boat showing me on a map where I am and where to turn to hit another river, lake, etc.
    Tennessee

Garmin MapSource CD's should do the trick.

Default Yep

Yep...That's what I have. Works well. Also, if you load it to your computer at home, it combines with the Blue Chart program...One icon for both charts and maps. Pretty cool to use those two products in conjunction with Google Earth.

How'd we ever do it before all these gadgets??

We got lost a lot
    Tennessee

Wink

Oh yeah......I forgot

Default Garmin GPS

Eggy:
    You mentioned that the Blue Chart and Topos merge on your computer...can you view both Blue Chart and Topos on the GPS screens? I haven't bought the Blue Charts and just have the Topos loaded on my handhelds, but would love to have info from both programs show up on my screens....is that possible? Seems like a Garmin rep told me "no, just one or the other" and that's why I've not purchased the Blue Charts (yet) Thanks! SE Mike

Don't know about the handhelds as I don't have one. The unit on my boat has a replaceable card. I have the Blue Charts on one and the topos on another. As far as merging on the computer, I meant that there is one icon on your desktop. When you open the program, you choose which you want to view...topos or charts. Maybe they do something similar on the newer handhelds with more memory??

I have been using the Garmin AK topo maps on my emap while running the rivers. They are not that acurate and I have found myself running through hills on the map and driving through Nancy Lake. They do serve as a good reference so you know what is coming up within a reasonable distance. I saw an Inland Lakes mapset on Garmins site the other day. I don't know if AK is there or how much more acurate it actually is on the rivers. Might be worth looking into.

Red face

I have the Lowrance 3500c. It covers all the ocean waters, cook inlet, PWS, southeast, bearing etc. The only problem is it only covers the part of the Big Su. I called Lowrance and asked if they had a chip that covered inland rivers etc in Alaska and they told me there wasn't enough interest in it to pay for the cost of it.

Other than that I have found it to be very accurate around PWS and such. I bought from Basspro shop for about $600.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Blue Chart and TopO

I too have the Blue chart Chip and down load the topo on another chip. I find the Blue chart to be accurate but the topo varies quite a bit. Some of it must be the accuracy of the satilites, as on the same day my route will be up on land one day and then in the water the next day while running the big Su. good for reference only running this river.

Default Ak Topo Maps

I find the Topo USA AK version extremely accurate when running rivers and on land in the Big Su & Yentna area. Remember, you need to identify the quadrangles (maps) in the software on your computer, then save the file...then transfer that to your GPS unit. If you have other areas (files) that you transfer to your unit later, to return to a previous area you need to transfer it again, as each subsequent transfer over rides the previous transfer.