Thread: Need Volvo Penta 5.7 Long Block replacement Engine!

Default Need Volvo Penta 5.7 Long Block replacement Engine!

Hey guys,

I need a little help, I need to replace by boat's Volvo Penta 5.7 GI engine, was thinking about ordering a long block from US Engines .com, I'm new to the valley (just moved up from SE Alaska) and I donít know of any good places in Anchorage or the Valley to where I could buy a long block locally?....any thoughts/advice or recommendation?

Thanks for any/all help!

I am going through the same thing. I ordered two Mercruiser 350 rebuilt blocks from seattle (same idea as us engines, just $700 cheaper). I looked into rebuilding the tired engines I have, buying factory new, or rebuilding two blocks shipped up from seattle. I tried to overestimate all the monetary costs to build up the block vs having mercruiser send up a drop in motor. I think I am saving about 1-2k each motor if I can use some of the parts off my old motors, such as manifolds and cooling system. We will see how it goes. The two 350's will be delivered to my driveway in about one week for $3700 total. A drop in motor was about 7k each. That gives me about 10k to play with. I think I can put them together for less than that. It sounds like the way to go. I would like to hear what other people have to say too. I talked to a mechanic and he said it was a bad idea because the warranty was not really worth it since you have to ship it down there to have it serviced, but is a time thing not necessarily a money thing. I think it might actually take less time in the summer since mechanics up here are JAMMED in the summer, and engine rebuilds don't really happen fast. The real issue is how much time it will take me to build it up and is it worth the hassle of pulling the motors in my driveway with a front loader. Oh we shall see......