Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Prices are Bumming Me Out

Talking Fuel Prices are Bumming Me Out

I can't help but feel the pinch, and it's not even summer yet. Oh well, I think it was somebody on this forum that puts things into perspective with the phrase "You'll never see a U-haul hooked up to a Hearst". LOL
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

yeah they are bumming me out too. Probably bumming out most people. I would love to have a boat, its been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I could probably handle the payments on a nice 24' ocean goer. BUT, Between the payments, the gas for both the boat and the truck to get it there, plus all the other costs associated with putting it in the water, I probably couldnt afford to go but once a month.

Right now Im just trying to enjoy my wheeler and snowmachine as much as I can before I cant afford to ride them anymore. And realisticly that is probably in the not so distant future. Just from eagle river to petersville is a hundred in gas!

Then not long after that, we will have bigger problems to worry about, like how to afford the food that has to get trucked in to alaska.

great now Im gettin depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I can't help but feel the pinch, and it's not even summer yet. Oh well, I think it was somebody on this forum that puts things into perspective with the phrase "You'll never see a U-haul hooked up to a Hearst". LOL
    I have seen that sig (or one very similar), too. I am spending my kids' inheritance with them!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wonder if we will see an AK exodus. It is one thing to worry about not being able to keep the boat or toys full of fuel, quite another to worry about feeding the fuel oil tank or filling up the car so you can get to work.

I suppose that I am pretty good at squeezing the old buck, but when it comes to one of my true joys of life, which is spending time on the salt, I still plan on going as often as possible. Our days here are numbered and the older you get the faster they seem to fly, so make them count the way YOU want.

Default Toys

Toys and vacations are off limits when it comes to complaining about how expensive it is, JUST DON"T GO! Last year I took my boat out four times, saved a ton of money compared to previous summers when I went out more and gas was cheaper. If you don't do anything else in your life and count on just burning yourself into the ground with something, than yeah, your narrow scope on life will feel the pinch of that activities negatives. -Then your faced with BURN OUT!

I looked at big boats a few years ago and knew i needed something smaller that didn't drink 8-10 gallons an hour.
    So I take out my mokai too often to count the trips out. Open water in 6-7 weeks I can't wait to get out to play on the ice and open up the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I suppose that I am pretty good at squeezing the old buck, but when it comes to one of my true joys of life, which is spending time on the salt, I still plan on going as often as possible. Our days here are numbered and the older you get the faster they seem to fly, so make them count the way YOU want.
    Amen! I love your attitude. Get busy living or get busy dieing.

Live it up!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    I looked at big boats a few years ago and knew i needed something smaller that didn't drink 8-10 gallons an hour.
    So I take out my mokai too often to count the trips out. Open water in 6-7 weeks I can't wait to get out to play on the ice and open up the lakes.
    I wish I burned 8-10 gals./hour!!! I have to agree with idakfisher and Voyager, get out there and enjoy it! It's all about whats most important to you. We don't take vacations to Hawaii, we don't go to movies etc, all because we like to get out on the water when we can.

There's alway sailing Seriously, I've considered it, but it sure doesn't work well if you are on a tight weekend schedule.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Mine is "never seen a armored car following a hearse".

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have a few in-laws coming up to go fishing with me this summer. When they planned their trip they wanted to know how much money to bring. I told them to plan on filling the boat tank once while we're up. My boat holds 100 galons. I told them to figure on $500. We'd all chip in on bait, food, etc. It seems like the only way to afford going out. Get a few together and all chip in gas money.
    From what I understood from an earlier thread IF you have a boat and your passengers paid for gas, bait, food or anything your technically guiding even if their relatives. Is that right? Could I get in trouble if a few of us from work chipped in our money for a fishing trip?
    It seems like the best and only way alot of us will be able to afford to go fishing. Fuel prices will definitely affect the amount of trips and how far out we go thats for sure.

Default Chipping in for gas...

As long as you don't make a PROFIT from others helping with costs.

No one is stepping on my ride without $$$ first, to many "I'll pay ya' later stories" and I'm charging for the bait, fuel for the truck to haul it, tunnel fee, not just the fuel. I am the guy who preps the boat before the trip and the guy who ends up cleaning it ALONE after the trip. Yes, I enjoy my guests but only if they are helpful in paying and helpful on the trip. I don't go out enough anymore to be takin' it in the shorts from cheap O's! I guess I am tried of the cost of owning a boat myself and can't see getting hosed every trip, thus when my attitude goes bad I do other stuff.

I was on a forum from the lower 48 about boating and they were worried about the thought of gas going to $4, HA! we are over $4 already. I plan on doing what ever I want/can as I worked tooo many years to not enjoy the last ones. Now I'm not going to run out and run up big bills, I'm just not going to worry about how much is left to leave to someone else.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Ill take the boat out just as much just will have to start working alot more overtime. Like stated above life is way to short not to injoy it with my family on the river

Tempted to go fill all my drums now - You know it is going to get a lot worse soon.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Mine is "never seen a armored car following a hearse".
    No the armored car is usually following the widow....Thats why I roll w/ twin 496's and baby I'll make a round trip from Pigot Point to Cape Suckling just looking for a jumper!

I was in Anchorage last weekend and I am jelous of the price of fuel you guys pay its .44 cents a gallon cheaper there than here on the Kenai thats 45 bucks more for me everytime I fill my boat. I cant understand how that is being that the plant is just down the road but I still plan on getting out a lot this summer might just have to do more overnighters so I dont have to travel as much. I am going to have more time off this summer and plan on making it count as much as possible. I guess if you want to play you have to pay, at least our boating season is not year round so we can save enough through the winter to play in the summer.

Last night while I was watching the news and they were talking about the rising cost of gasoline (funny how they say "gasoline" and not "fuel". Guess diesel isn't going up in price then. Right?!), my wife said I might not be able to go out every weekend (well, almost) like I did last year. I just grumbled and took another drink. What I didn't say was "OK".

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Wonder if we will see an AK exodus. It is one thing to worry about not being able to keep the boat or toys full of fuel, quite another to worry about feeding the fuel oil tank or filling up the car so you can get to work.
    This born-n-raised Alaskan says enjoy the trip down the higway to all who leave. I long for the days of my youth when Alaska was truely the last frontier.

Dang I'm getting old, starting to sound like my old man.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast