Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 270 wsm help !!

I didn't read every post but have a few simple questions. When you tried this brass after it was resized and it did not fit in the chamber, was this brass still not primed and loaded or was it loaded?

Cheers,

Matt M

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I suppose you could consider that we are guessing. I feel that without seeing the case we are all trying to eliminate some possibilities to help a brother find a solution. I myself have my way and others have theirs based on our experience level. I have been wrong here before and someone pointed out something that o had no experience with. There are some people here with a great amount of experience and to catagorically assume everyone here is not worth listening to was an insult to people who will try to help not laugh at someone who has encountered an obstacle would make it so no one could learn from anyone. Kind of like a secret web site where all the knowledge is without any sharing of that valuable experience
    I pretty much agree with all that.

Here I am, offering --back country-- advice, and he probably has more handloading experience than I do.

I once recall making some suggestions to --EKC--, and he was way ahead of me. I also recall being wrong about some things, but that helps me to learn.

I only respond when I truly believe I can help. In spite of our years of experience, we haven't all had exactly the SAME experiences. Perhaps, a beeger reason, is that I find handloading to be an interesting subject.

This gun stuff, is my hobby, and I'm interested in things that I will never even do, myself. I have a LIST, of things that Gun Nuts, get nutty about that makes me WONDER about those misguided people.

Still, the more, I learn about that particular area of interest, the more I can identify with it.

Maybe, this is an opportunity to Thank those who have helped me and put up with me, and made my life more interesting.

It seems to me, that so-called "Gun Nuts" are about the most creative people I've ever ran accross. They do amazing things.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I pretty much agree with all that.

Here I am, offering --back country-- advice, and he probably has more handloading experience than I do.

I once recall making some suggestions to --EKC--, and he was way ahead of me. I also recall being wrong about some things, but that helps me to learn.

I only respond when I truly believe I can help. In spite of our years of experience, we haven't all had exactly the SAME experiences. Perhaps, a beeger reason, is that I find handloading to be an interesting subject.

This gun stuff, is my hobby, and I'm interested in things that I will never even do, myself. I have a LIST, of things that Gun Nuts, get nutty about that makes me WONDER about those misguided people.

Still, the more, I learn about that particular area of interest, the more I can identify with it.

Maybe, this is an opportunity to Thank those who have helped me and put up with me, and made my life more interesting.

It seems to me, that so-called "Gun Nuts" are about the most creative people I've ever ran accross. They do amazing things.

Smitty of the North
    Well put Smitty, I think your wrong though...Just kiddin!

I received a call from a tech at Hornady yesterday, nice guy and very willing to talk (30 min) He tells me that the WSM brass has a very thick neck, all of 'em and it causes lots of troubles, especially with guys like me to "forge ahead, too often without all of the facts" - I may have, in my frustration, misjudged the Hornady dies - I am convinced that had I stopped when I first encountered the difficulty in extracting the expander button and simply lubed the inside of the neck with graphite or moly I wouldn't have been pulling the shoulder forward - Interesting point, when working with the 325 WSM I was also using 1x fired WW nickel cases because that is what I had and ended up with very stiff chambering but I culled them and used the 85% that would go, they shot well and I didn't encounter any mad grizzlies in BC so all ended well BUT not long ago I got some Norma 300 WSM new brass and necked it up to 325 and these are working very well ... I am afraid I'm gonna have to just tank the nickel brass as much as it pains me (it's so pretty) but jamming a freshly loaded "pretty" round into the chamber only to realize you just stuck it will color the sunniest day - this if going to be an ongoing saga ...

BackCountry,

I will take all that nickel brass if you don't want it. That is all I use because it don't corrode as bad around the salt.

I'm sure you know this and don't mean any insult, but be extremely careful with 300WSM stamped brass loaded with 325wsm bullets. I have 270wsm, 300wsm and 325wsm and I'm always afraid that I might get the wrong one into the wrong chamber and hurt myself. I take extreme care to always double and triple check, especially when I'm out at the range shooting all 3 on the same day.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Hey Steve - No insult taken, a "reminder" is always welcome no matter what - I have been "coloring" the face black with a sharpy on the 300 WSM necked up AND I don't have a 300 WSM of my own to confuse rounds with - I have the nickel brass sizing problem figured out and working smooth as silk - Thank you for the help !! George

Mr George,

That's great news, except the you will be using your nickel brass part.

Don't leave us hanging, what was the fix???

This is a photo of .338 Federal brass that was fired in a .338WM, The guy that fired it is very gun smart and still made the mistake. Now he did fire 2 to figure it out, I tried to stop him after the first one, but I had to find my glasses to read the case.

Crap happens even to the best of us. Congrats on getting it worked out.

Steve

the fix was simply to apply some graphite (I used moly powder because I have some) on the inside of the case neck with a nylon brush, a little messy but it worked - I had no idea that I was "strong" enough to lengthen a case ... guess that explains the countertop splitting ...

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    the fix was simply to apply some graphite (I used moly powder because I have some) on the inside of the case neck with a nylon brush, a little messy but it worked - I had no idea that I was "strong" enough to lengthen a case ... guess that explains the countertop splitting ...
    Now that's an image! But a cracked bench is a sign of something, isn't it.

If you get tired of the powder, I'm real hooked on Imperial sizing die wax because it's virtually mess free.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Now that's an image! But a cracked bench is a sign of something, isn't it.

If you get tired of the powder, I'm real hooked on Imperial sizing die wax because it's virtually mess free.
    I've tried those dry lubes for lubing the insides of the necks, and they never worked worth a hoot. Whatever lube I'm using, Like Imperial Sizing Wax, for example, I put inside the neck, and I like to get some on the shoulder. (Inside Neck Shoulder)

I wipe it out after sizing, with Q Tips, or a section of cleaning rod with a patch loop, and patch. I've always done it that way. It's just another little step, and no beeg deel.

People are always talking about how you can pull the shoulder forward when the expander button is pulled out of the neck, but it's never happened to me, even in a case where I didn't lube inside the neck.

Frankly, I'm dubious, that, can even happen. It just seems that the kind of force, it would take, wouldn't allow me to continue doing it.

Yup, I'm from Missouri, or WAS, but that has no bearing on this matter.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I was dubious as well, seemed the same that I could exert that much force to pull that shoulder forward but I cannot find another explanation for it and when I did as the Hornady tech instructed it worked ! I have tried the wax (never occurred to me to use a Q tip) it always catches some powder with the "sticky" - Apparently this all stems from the case necks of the WSM being very "thick"

I was dubious as well, seemed the same that I could exert that much force to pull that shoulder forward but I cannot find another explanation for it and when I did as the Hornady tech instructed it worked ! I have tried the wax (never occurred to me to use a Q tip) it always catches some powder with the "sticky" - Apparently this all stems from the case necks of the WSM being very "thick"
    OK, how about a "tvfinak like" TEST.
    I don't trust the accuracy of the normal way people measure headspace, using something that contacts, on the mid-point of the shoulder, to the case head,,,

BUT, I have Wilson Case Guage for my 280 Remington cartidges.

Spose I clean any lube from the expander button, size a case without lube in the neck, and if it's VERY hard to come back out, I check it on the gauge.

Then lube the inside necks in my usual manner and do another one, and compare them.

I MIGHT prove that a case shoulder CAN be lengthened in this manner, under certain conditions, but NOT that it doesn't EVER.

I'm happy believing it CAN'T lengthen, so I won't be in any hurry, to prove myself wrong.

What a revoltin developement that would be. I don't even wanna think about it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

The amount of leverage in a reloading press is easily capable of smashing, stretching, shrinking or expanding a case with relative ease. The real question is whether the neck is strong enough to pull the shoulder, or even a small part of the shoulder, forward when the sizing ball comes out of the case. The thicker the neck the stronger it is. I think it is very possible especially if no lube is used and even more so with an expander that is blunt or a little rough.
    Now, I'll admit that I'm just guessing as I can't examine and measure from hundreds of miles through powers of the mind like the experts on that other unknown web site. Must be nice to be so good that you don't even need any information to know the cure.

this is apparently a problem with WSM cases (but RUM cases have a sharp shoulder as well and I, at least, haven't heard anything about them) nor have I EVER had this issue with the many 1000's of ackley improved cases, heck I used to neck size the 223 AI without lube, 1000's of 'em - I cannot present an explanation or claim to know why but it apparently is because "it is" (hope I don't scratch a bald spot on my head from this!) NOW I gotta scrub the moly stains off the counter .... think I'll try Smitty of the North's way next time, Q-tips huh ? WHO KNEW ??

OH , and I broke a wishbone and even scrounged up a dandelion to blow on "wishing" for a sublime expain from the "other" website ... NOPE ... nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North

So, I guess we never did find out where the "Other" website or sites were did we?

Actually, I really like this one,
    the guys on here have some pretty serious experience and "Interest" in all things reloading, so I figure I'll be learning here for quite some time,

like Smitty, ....."interested in things that I will never even do,..." I like that kind of obsession. Definitely the kinda guys I want to hear from.
    (altho, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how you couldn't get Dry Case Neck Lube to work well, it's so easy, so clean.........)

and I'll agree with his other line there, and
    jump on the opportunity to, "Thank Those who have helped me and put up with me, made life WAY more interesting."

Was looking back at some of my first few posts where I was just working you guys over with questions about stuff that was pretty basic level stuff and it's pretty darn impressive how the older timers are interested enough to help new guys get it figured out.

270's been pretty cool also, mighta had a bad winter afternoon, or two, in here (grin)
    can't imagine why there would be Forum problems with posting links to other sites, heck we're all up for more info,... Tho I'm reaching saturation point right here for now

Pretty Informative Thread, backcountry, thanks for bringing us along and the results of it all.
    Learnin', Learnin', Learnin'..............
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah, this site has some fairly experienced gun nutz that hang out here and as long as I've been loading and putzing with guns (almost 50 years) I find that there is always someone that knows more than I do about any given topic. There is another site that I find very informative if you are into casting bullets. I thought I knew how to cast bullets until I found that site ( castboolits). I do like this site as it sometimes allows me to meet the folks and put faces to the names. Anyway, I keep a large box of Qtips on the loading bench for lubing inside necks and all kinds of other things like smearing Bull Plate Lube on bullet molds.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Anyway, I keep a large box of Qtips on the loading bench for lubing inside necks and all kinds of other things like smearing Bull Plate Lube on bullet molds.
    It's nothing short of amazing, how fast I go through what I thought would be a lifetime supply of Q Tips.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have to add that, since I had a new box of Berger "hunting" VLD 150's on the shelf I HAD to give them a try (wish I had not) 59.0 of IMR 4350 / Norma cases / 215M primers / moly coated the bullets (habit) - one ragged hole @ 100, it started to rain so I didn't have any chance to shoot @ 200 or chronograph but, as much as I hate to say it, I am gonna use 'em for spring black bear - Smitty of the North, have you EVER mistaken the Qtips in the loading room for Qtips on the bathroom counter ??

Smitty of the North, have you EVER mistaken the Qtips in the loading room for Qtips on the bathroom counter ??
    Little graphite in the ear never hurt anybody. Now the wife skinning me for using hers, well...........

Steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast