Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 270 wsm help !!

Default 270 wsm help !!

I am sitting here scratching my head over this one
    I just began to load for my 270 WSM last night, 40 W/W nickel cases once fired in that rifle that, as once fired untouched brass, drop right in and bolt closes with no effort - I set up a new Hornady seating die using Redding benchrest case holders #10 then sized with the #2 - I can see that the neck is getting sized to the base - I sized all 40, trimmed them, deburred flash holes and chamfered mouths and then .... I can barely get the bolt closed on any of them and I mean barely .... I have worked brass for belted mags, standards and small rifle by the 1000's before and never encountered this ! SO, am I learning a "new lesson" or missing something ??

The first thing I would check in this instance is the Cartridges Overall Length. Assuming you trimmed the neck sized brass and didn't bulge the case in the reloading process and there is no chamber obstruction or fouling, I would look at how long the completed cartridges is.

Is this the preped brass before loading with bullet or after loading? If loaded, do you see markings on the bullets?
    What shell holder number was used (+0.010 -- 0.002)?
    I've never loaded nickel rifle cases but I used to load lots of 357 Mag and the brass is a lot tougher to resize. If you can try one before seating a bullet?

I set the OAL first thing ... I am thinking that I bulged the cases or actually lengthened them ? the one odd thing is that the expander ball took alot of reverse pressure to get it back out, I mean enough that I was scared of sticking a case - Another thing I am wondering about is the neck wall thickness of the nickel cases as, visually anyway, I think I see variances in thickness when looking at freshly trimmed cases - interesting enough, I now recall experiencing a very similar tight chamering when I started doing the 325 WSM's, not so pronounced but the same "feel" - ANYONE !! am I missing something with the WSM case prep ?? I am a "old" handloader but new to the WSM family, don't recall reading any warnings ...

empty brass immediately post sizing with no bullet or primer very very tight in chamber, maybe even won't go - nothing changes with bullet seated to proper OAL

I had the same issues reloading for my .300wsm. About 7 out of the 50 wouldn't chamber. Some others were tight. Not really sure what caused it.

northway - did you have to put alot of "arm" into withdrawal of the expander button ?

I load 270WSM and 325WSM in nickel and have no issues with it. If you are near Fairbanks we can use my 270WSM precision mic to measure your brass and see whats going on. The only time mine would not close is when I did not push the shoulder back enough. I do use carbide sizer balls and I lube the neck.

Have you used these dies before or measured the sizer ball to make sure it is the correct size???

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I am just going to the shop to dismantle the die and mic the parts - I took a new, unfired case that simply dropped into the chamber and close the bolt with my little finger (literally) ran that case through the die which I adjusted per instructions and the same thing, can't even get the bolt to start to close and the case stuck in the chamber, had to pop it out with a rod - I think I may be done with Hornady as I have never had any kind of trouble whatsoever with Redding tools - thank you for your offer and input !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's normal, of course, to be able to chamber fired brass that was fired in the same chamber.

If you have trouble chambering them after sizing, you didn't size them enough. You only sized them enough to spread the shoulder, and make them hard or impossible to chamber.

We hear this about the WSMs a lot. They're pretty straight-sided cartridges, and I've heard, made of thick tough brass.

Try screwing the sizing die down some more, even past the point where the die touches the shell holder at the top of the stroke.

You need a reloading press without a lot of FLEX. If you ain't got a Beeg'un, (press) you should get one, I think.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm inclined to agree with Smitty! Also are you getting some lube on the inside of the case mouth? Those nickel cases are rougher on the inside than brass cases and they need more help. If it's taking alot of force to pull that expander ball back out of the case you could be stretching them a bit.

let us know what you find!

I mic'd the sized cases and they are .008 larger than a new unfired case - I have tried short sizing them, I've tried sizing with the die akjusted to touch the top of the shellholder and I have tried with the die turned 1/2 a turn deeper, all with the same result - I have been handloading for a long, long time but I am by no means an "expert" or a machinist - 2 things ... I'm gonna try an RCBS die (only because that is what is available locally) to satisfy in my mind that I am not the "culprit" here and I don't know what the heck a "beeg'un" press is ??

BackCountry, mic the case width along the sides to see if it has bulged ever so slightly. Measure the shoulder which should be .538" wide. Measure the width of the case along the case back the the extractor grove which should be the width of the shoulder or no greater than .538". The rim on that case is rebated and should measure .535". What is the length of your resized case?

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I don't know what the heck a "beeg'un" press is ??
    I believe he is referring to a "Heavy Duty" press. A big one that will not flex.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I mic'd the sized cases and they are .008 larger than a new unfired case - I have tried short sizing them, I've tried sizing with the die akjusted to touch the top of the shellholder and I have tried with the die turned 1/2 a turn deeper, all with the same result - I have been handloading for a long, long time but I am by no means an "expert" or a machinist - 2 things ... I'm gonna try an RCBS die (only because that is what is available locally) to satisfy in my mind that I am not the "culprit" here and I don't know what the heck a "beeg'un" press is ??
    I certainly understand your frustration. I'm not an expert myself. It was my Daddy who was the machinist, and it never rubbed off on me.

stid2677 is right.

I had trouble getting hard to size cases (7mm RM) sized enough with lightweight presses. Sometimes they can flex, and no matter how over adjusted, they don't get into the die far enough be sized correctly.

I sprung for a Redding Beeg Boss press. ("Don't force it. Use a beeger hammer")

Back to your problem. Measuring things is OK, and it may help, but you can measure till you're blue in the face, but if the fired cases fit fine, and the sized ones don't, they ain't bein sized right.

You didn't even say Where, you mic,ed the cases, but you should compare them to Fired cases, rather than New Unfired cases. I don't think FL sizing a case will bring it fully back to the size of a New Unfired one.

I think it unlikely, at this point, that your sizing die is out of spec. but that is POSSIBLE. (I had a Hornady sizing die that had the problem of sticking cases EVERYTIME.)

Make sure you have a solid/tuff press, lube the case generously with a good lube, and don't forget to lube the "Base of the Case". Also, I don't believe that stuff about NOT lubing the shoulder. Lube everything, just don't get it TOO thick. If you get a dent, it's because it's too thick, not because it's not sposed to be lubed there.

I'm guessing, that this issue is SOMEWHAT unique to the WSMs, because I've heard it before.

Hang in there, and think about, what is actually happening inside the die. Where did the cases become too beeg? Which dimension?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty of the North - Thank you for your encouragement ! I suspect the uniqueness to WSM's as well - ALL have given me good information to look at and I WILL get to the bottom of this ... Is a RockChucker press considered heavy duty enough ? or should I get a "big boss" ?

I think you need to screw the sizer die down a bit more. You are sizing the neck and the body. As you size the body reducing its fired diameter, the body of the case grows, its being pushed up. You need to bump the shoulder back just slightly. Do a quarter turn down then try to chamber until resistance is felt on the last 1/4" of bolt handle travel. Those short fat cases are like this more than the tall skinny cases and require a little more finesse than normal. Hope this works for ya.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Get an FL Bushing die and your problems will likely disappear. And.... I wonder if they would disappear if you used brass cases?

Bushing dies are the way to go. Since I started using them, I've been very happy and haven't looked back.

-Mark

It may be the expander button is pulling the shoulders longer after sizing, or that in seating the bullet , you have a slight bulge created. Maybe try sizing a couple without the expander in place.
    Also, are you crimping ? I have polished down a couple expanders of my own, and be sure to lube the inside of necks as well.
    Just a few thoughts.
    Bryan

Is a RockChucker press considered heavy duty enough ? or should I get a "big boss" ?
    The RockChucker should do it. To my knowledge, it's a large Cast, "O" press.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast