Thread: Where to watch Iditarod restart?

Default Where to watch Iditarod restart?

I'm interested in taking my kids to see the Iditarod teams racing down the trail? I have a couple of snow machines and was wondering if there was a trail that would intersect the race course that would offer good viewing? Would Deshka landing be a good place to start or Nancy lakes trails? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    Would Deshka landing be a good place to start or Nancy lakes trails?
    Both are excellent choices and are a pretty quick easy trip with the young ones.

Just be sure to get there early have your machines parked before the first team comes through and try to stay off the trail until the last team is through.

It can be a zoo up there and I am always amazed at the lack of respect from people buzzing up and down the trail when thereís a race going on.

IMO the mushers would all be friendlier to onlookers if they didnít have so many distractions on the trail for their dogs .

Have fun!

Since the race restarts later now I prefer to be closer to the restarting line. We used to go out to the rivers and watch but it is dark now by the time the last teams pass by. I like Long Lake now. It is a zoo but get out a little early, bring a grill and a cooler and tailgate along the trail. (Not so close to the trail as to distract but close so you can watch) Then you can still get home before it gets too late.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

We like watching the teams come down Corral Hill. We launch out of the Deshka Landing, (get there early as they fill up fast). it is about a ten minute run down river from the landing, follow the trail markers to avoid open water. From Corral Hill we then go down river for a while.

Follow the link to see our trip from last year.

http://tinyurl.com/yzhnsl7

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    We like watching the teams come down Corral Hill. We launch out of the Deshka Landing, (get there early as they fill up fast). it is about a ten minute run down river from the landing, follow the trail markers to avoid open water. From Corral Hill we then go down river for a while.

Follow the link to see our trip from last year.

http://tinyurl.com/yzhnsl7
    Great spot to watch from and there to the Su gives you good cover if it's windy. The other good thing is that yo do not have to use the trail that the teams are running on to come and go.

Lightbulb Go out with the flow!!!!!!!!!!

Dupont
    That is a very good thought as the Iditarod bunch is haveing a heck of a time with traffic in the Willow area!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Dupont
    That is a very good thought as the Iditarod bunch is haveing a heck of a time with traffic in the Willow area!!!
    I know it would be next to impossible but I would really want to see the actual trail closed to sled traffic, especially in the Corral hill area. The reason being is the dogs are hyped and the hill is steep. I have used that trail after the race went thru there and going up the hill was tough going from all the braking required to come down by the sleds. I know everyone wants that exclusive spot to watch but comes down to a matter of race safety. It was not to long ago that we had a team get hit on the YETENA RIVER. There couldn't be any more room then out there and we had a mishap. So it's now just a matter of when and no longer an if for the run from the Willow Community Center to the river system.

Even when I meet the Dogs on the river I give them a wide berth and also STOP.

TB I usually assist out at Yetena Station during that time but if you need someone for a check point or trail guard let me know. I will watch the race from any point, as long as I could have a warming fire and a few dogs (hot dogs that is) to roast. I know I have at least one group to lead out Saturday to at least Yetena and I have been told be prepared to go as far as Shell or Finger lake. So I will be out and about all weekend.

Talking New trails to use duing the race!

Iditarod crew will be at Corral Hill blocking users from goin up when selds are coming down.
    The norrow areas in Willow around the Lakes are being set up for one way traffic going out and John Lake Boot Lake Trail willl be the return trail!
    Hope this might help!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

I will file that away.....thanks for all the great work this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Iditarod crew will be at Corral Hill blocking users from goin up when selds are coming down.
    The norrow areas in Willow around the Lakes are being set up for one way traffic going out and John Lake Boot Lake Trail willl be the return trail!
    Hope this might help!
    where are these areas located in regards to Corral Hill?

Exclamation Willow & Iditarod

All we are talking about is in he first 10 miles and mostly on the main lakes in Willow in the first 4 miles.
    Maps avaliable at Townsite in Willow.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Whens the restart on sunday? Our groups riding up to skwetna saturday and heading back sunday... Would attend the fishcreek party but if its late I got school monday.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Whens the restart on sunday? Our groups riding up to skwetna saturday and heading back sunday... Would attend the fishcreek party but if its late I got school monday.
    Restart is at 2:00