Thread: Not just fishing but catching

Default Not just fishing but catching

Southeast Alaska Halibut Fishing.

http://www.alaskanlongliner.com/

I've done it once...many years ago for a 24 hr opening (getting paid, not paying). It's an experience, to say the least.

But, wow! I couldn't believe this guys price...279 per person/day and no fish with that (that'll cost you an EXTRA 8.50/lb). Sheesh.

279 per person, per day isn't that bad, if you look at what a commercial crew license costs..

Not a bad way to see SE AK, IMO.

My father and I have talked about this idea for years. Instead of paying the help, have them pay you...brilliant! Of course you wouldn't be able to count on them actually being much help, but it's not a bad idea for padding the bottom line just a bit.

One of the old Deadliest Catch boats takes tourists out crabbing and longlining for the day down in Southeast and has made what seems like a pretty solid business model out of it. Interesting ideas...

Brian,

All kinds of opportunities like that out there. Most people don't realize that you can get a crab card for 15k, a Hand Troll permit for 11k, and a black bass card for $75 in SE. Their is even a Lingcod fishery for $75 that not many people fish, that you can use a rod/reel for. Take "clients" (workers out) and fish with "Hand troll gear" (aka mooching rods) and have no limits on Silvers from July 1-Sept 15 with the exception of a small closure in Aug. No limit on kings from July 1st till the season closes, (usually a few weeks) and if you want, you can hammer black bass till the cows come home, if you can find a buyer. And when the dungie season is open, let people pay you to help you pull your dungie pots.

There was a log cabin builder in Montana doing a similar thing, especially with Japanese tourists, they paid to work on the logs and put up one log on the houses he was building, did pretty well for a while when log homes were a hot item...took longer, but free (actually paying him) labor, he was doing scribed fitted logs so a lot of handwork. They didn't take any logs home either

If commercial guys start doing this they should have to comply with all the regs that the charter guys do. USCG license,drug testing,insurance,cpr/first aid,twic card, etc,etc,etc,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    If commercial guys start doing this they should have to comply with all the regs that the charter guys do. USCG license,drug testing,insurance,cpr/first aid,twic card, etc,etc,etc,,,,,,
    We know CaptainT we know! We'd all fail the drug test and you'd get all our clients
    Seriously though, I've entertained this thought, but its not feasible. For starters there is the liability, no matter what waiver you have a client sign, it won't hold up in court, you'll be liable for any injuries. Secondly you can't take paying customers out and have them help you harvest fish that you're going to sell. Wait, or can you
    If so they'll line up w/ their checkbooks to come out and fish w/ me on a infamous Copper river May opener, heck they would pay thousands, it would be the same principal as a dude ranch!

I'd pay to come do a copper river opener. That would be a kick in the pants and something I'd never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'd pay to come do a copper river opener. That would be a kick in the pants and something I'd never forget.
    I've got a bowpicker and a permit i'll sell ya then you can spend the whole summer over there playing in the breakers!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I've got a bowpicker and a permit i'll sell ya then you can spend the whole summer over there playing in the breakers!!
    Do you finance?..(grin) Not sure I have the cash on hand for one of those permits.