Thread: Spring Subsistance hunt

Default Spring Subsistance hunt

I don't see any threads on the travesty of a spring hunt this year....has no one here heard??? Perhaps its not a big issue here. Anyway, the spring YK hunt is limited at 40 moose for 5 villages. Any HOUSEHOLD that got 1 moose last year is not eligible for a permit. A lot of folks getting really hungry......

Being that you live in the area can you explain the "Travesty" a little better. What is the normal harvest and why is the moose population low enough they have to limit the harvest?

I don't know why they have limited the hunt this year. I sure saw a ton of moose on the flight from Holy to Aniak a couple days ago. The travesty is that there are a lot of people who rely on the spring hunt for food. Thats the whole point of subsistance hunting, you hunt because you have too. To have a 'subsistence hunt' and, in effect, cancel it at the last minute....thats not fair to the people that live there. Thats like saying theres not enough trees now and you can't get firewood. Regardless if theres a good reason or not, how are the people who were relying on that resource going to stay warm?

I was just curious as to the justification for them limiting the hunt - Didn't know if you had a low moose population due to wolves, heavy snowfall or what. If the population was really low I could understand the limitations trying to preserve the numbers for the future - not that it helps the current situation. I know what subsistence hunting is and it would be quite a blow to plan for that moose and have it change at the last minute. Obviously people will still have to cut the firewood.

I agree with you. We have to ensure future stocks, but man o man, especially on the heels of salmon fishing issues. I wish the folks in charge of making the decisions had to live the life a while first. Then they could give notification 6 or 10 months in advanvce and people could make alternative plans. We are lucky, we had money. We ordered meat, but with weather and all it's taken a month to arrive.

Don't they get a fall hunt every year though? Do they need a moose in both fall and spring?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Yes, there is a fall hunt, but not everyone gets a moose in the fall. For example, we got my husband's moose in fall, but I didn't get one. One moose will not feed us both all year. Also, what about couples with kids? The adults get one tag each. If they have several children, they are going to need a lot of moose. True, we can also hunt grouse and geese and get fish in the summer; but a last minute cancellation of the season or drastic change in the rules does not allow subsistence families the opportunity to utilize other potential sources.