Thread: 17' Alumaweld 60hp prop, what rivers?

Default 17' Alumaweld 60hp prop, what rivers?

I have a 2008, 17' Alumaweld talon with 60hp prop and a 8hp kicker and I'm just wondering what rivers within 5 hour drive or Wasilla would be runnable. I'm not bad behind the wheel, maybe a litte timid. I'm more use to salt water than rivers. Areas I'm looking for would be for camping, hunting, and of course fishing. Within the next couple years I do want to replace the lower end with a jet.

thanks guys.

I suggest that you go price about 4 props and see if it is cheaper to change to a jet now. Call Mike at Performance Marine. Check craigslist for WA. Call dealers in WA that handle your engine brand and see if they have a takeoff. If it is an older engine call J Kimberly Services to see if they have one. Get a spare water pump too. When Big Lake opens up, take your boat out and cut left hand squares, then right hand squares, then spin outs until you are no longer timid. Remember that you have NO STEERING when the throttle is not on. When in doubt, power out! Good luck and be safe.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

What he was saying is that you are extremely limited with a prop in the rivers anywhere around here. You can run a prop to Deshka river if the water levels aren't bad and some say you could go up the Yetna a ways although I wouldn't suggest it. With salmon runs being what they have lately I would have to agree with Dirt and suggest getting a jet if at all possible.

Your best river adventure to get started is probably to the mouth of the Deshka. I have seen several prop jobs down there. I would suggest spare props and a prop guard. The more you run a river the better you will get. Another reason Deshka would be good is that it is relatively short run and plenty of boat traffic, so if there is a problem there will be plenty of help. Don't rule out the salt water on nice days. Have fun this spring.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I have a 2008, 17' Alumaweld talon with 60hp prop and a 8hp kicker and I'm just wondering what rivers within 5 hour drive or Wasilla would be runnable. I'm not bad behind the wheel, maybe a litte timid. I'm more use to salt water than rivers. Areas I'm looking for would be for camping, hunting, and of course fishing. Within the next couple years I do want to replace the lower end with a jet.

thanks guys.
    Teach....
    Don't be intimidated... there are people who live up by Skwentna and beyond on the yentna River that run some pretty big boats (barges) on the Yentna River (250 HP) with props.... Part of the trick is to learn how to read the water... another part of it is learning where the Channels (usually) are.. My first trip up the Yentna was in an 18' Monark with an old 40hp Johnson with prop, on a jackass lift.. I was being so cautious, worrying about every little swirl or ripple I saw in the water ahead of the boat... Just before I got to the Big Bend or S curve, I heard a rumble and looking back.. I saw what was about a 26 ft Cabin Cruiser, with twin outdrives, on step, probably headed to a homestead somewhere... For sure, we skinned up a few props over the years... Just get an extra prop or two, and maybe one of those Skeg Guards... Your definitely going to want to carry an extra water pump, or repair kit because that silty water is going to eat up a water pump in about 2 seasons. another beginner trick is to get a good GPS that tracks your moves... once you learn the channels, you got a track to follow...

Starting with a run to the Deshka is good advice.. Starting at the Deshka Landing, you can always ask another boater if they would show you the channel down to the Deshka... Most of them would let you follow along... /John

Great info guys, I'm already on my second prop, lost one this last hunting season up in the Tyone in one of the channels, went from 30' to 6" really quick, $180 down the tube. The jet units that I have been able to find are around $1500, its a Mercury fourstroke 2008. They are building a gaurd at my shop at school for it. When I'm ready to have a jet put on they can actually do it and they will build a tunnel for the baot as well. We build aluminum boats in our shop, great program. Thanks again! The salt water idea is good, I use to take my boat out of Nea Bay when I lived in WA.

Go talk to Gary or Dennis over at Greatland welding on the Palmer/Wasilla hwy about a jet unit for your motor... /John