Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long distance shooting range in AK?

Default Long distance shooting range in AK?

Does anyone know of a place in South Central AK one could shoot (in a range type setting) past 800m? I have several larger bore rifles I'd like to work out. (.338 Lapua Mag, .416 Barrett & 408 CheyTac) Hell I'd settle for 600m.

Go varmit hunting, or if you're active/ex-military look into Ft. Richardson's range. Otherwise the longest public range in Anchorage area is Birchwood at 200m. Funny, I was just talking about this with someone who moved up from WA and he couldn't believe it.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Brichwood has 300 meters

Thank you Kenneth

Down here ia Soldotna the snowshoe gun club has a 500yd range. When I want to stretch out one of my rifles I will take my wheeler to a power line somewhere make sure of a safe back drop and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Brichwood has 300 meters

Quote Originally Posted by Jahmby View Post
    Does anyone know of a place in South Central AK one could shoot (in a range type setting) past 800m? I have several larger bore rifles I'd like to work out. (.338 Lapua Mag, .416 Barrett & 408 CheyTac) Hell I'd settle for 600m.
    I know a few LR Alaske shooters, if you like I can get you in contact with them.

Default I've often wondered about this

I've often wondered about the lack of a long distance range here. Perhaps it's the pragmatic attitude of most Alaskan hunters about not taking long pot shots at game animals. I see those guys whacking critters at 1000 yards with .338s and such and it kind of makes me cringe. But, I suppose it'd be good to have the practice and the capability to be able to thin out predators. It'd have to be a great gravel bar or something. Most folks have a name around here for a cleared out patch of land a thousand meters long... runway!

Alaska Rifle Club sponsors 600 yd shooting at Fort Rich and 1000 yd shooting at Fort Greely under NRA and CMP auspices. Pulled targets so you get real time feed back. We punch holes in paper and shoot for score. NRA/CMP rules govern

All are welcome.

see www.akrifleclub.com

Come out and shoot.

R/Allen
    Last edited by allen-ak; 02-28-2011 at 13:12. Reason: fat fingers

yeah you can shoot 1,000 at Greelys Colorado KD range.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Down here ia Soldotna the snowshoe gun club has a 500yd range. When I want to stretch out one of my rifles I will take my wheeler to a power line somewhere make sure of a safe back drop and go from there.
    Snowshoe actually goes out to 600 yards at the trees. I like shooting the steel sheep at 535 yards!

That would be great Thanks let me know how they'd like to converse (email, cell etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I know a few LR Alaske shooters, if you like I can get you in contact with them.
    That would be great Thanks let me know how they'd like to converse (email, cell etc)

PM sent....

I have not sent a round downrange at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range for some years now, but there is or was iron silloutettes at 300-400-500 and 600yards there, the drawback is/was that nothing exceeding a .30-06' was allowed to be fired at them. the last time I fired at them was 25 years or so ago, they may no longer exist, a phone call would answer the question though.

Just bringing this to the top to try and find a place to shoot around 500-700'yards. Just like to stretch my legs a bit. Been shooting a bit and would just like to test myself and my weapon on paper

Seems like it would just take a good backstop and a out of the way place. Pm me if you have any suggestions. I'm looking for places within Reasonable driving distance from anchorage

Thanks for any feedback

There will be a Mid-Range match on Saturday, April 23 at the Ft.
    Richardson Pedneau Range. Sign up time will be 8AM to 8:30AM. This will be a 60 shot for record match with unlimited sighters. The match fee will be $20.00 for annual ARC members or $25.00 for one day members. Open
    chamber indicators will be required and will be available for $1 each.

There will be 20 shots for record at 300, 500, and 600 yards all slow fire prone. For the mid-range prone category you must shoot off a sling but you can use a scope or "Any Sights". F class & F-TR use bipods.
    The Black Powder Cartridge shooters are invited too. All the disciplines have a mid-range format and this makes for a good multi-discipline match. Everyone is required to sign up in the parking lot adjacent to Pedneau. I have attached the Hold Harmless form that the Army is requiring everyone to sign. Please print one for yourself and bring it. You only have to sign it once for the year and the club keeps them.

The Army has tightened the rules on bringing firearms onto the base.
    Because Pedneau is not on the main base, we do not have to worry about them. If you go through the main gate you must register all firearms.

The Army range control has taken a firm stand on range rules. There will be no personal vehicles other than the emergency designated vehicle on the Range. So, either you have to carry your equipment or put it in the emergency vehicle.

Hope to see you there!

Mark Friest
    President
    Alaska Rifle Club
    907-333-8199

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Just bringing this to the top to try and find a place to shoot around 500-700'yards. Just like to stretch my legs a bit. Been shooting a bit and would just like to test myself and my weapon on paper

Seems like it would just take a good backstop and a out of the way place. Pm me if you have any suggestions. I'm looking for places within Reasonable driving distance from anchorage

Thanks for any feedback
    There will be a Mid-Range match on Saturday, April 23 at the Ft.
    Richardson Pedneau Range. Sign up time will be 8AM to 8:30AM. This will be a 60 shot for record match with unlimited sighters. The match fee will be $20.00 for annual ARC members or $25.00 for one day members. Open
    chamber indicators will be required and will be available for $1 each.

There will be 20 shots for record at 300, 500, and 600 yards all slow fire prone. For the mid-range prone category you must shoot off a sling but you can use a scope or "Any Sights". F class & F-TR use bipods.
    The Black Powder Cartridge shooters are invited too. All the disciplines have a mid-range format and this makes for a good multi-discipline match. Everyone is required to sign up in the parking lot adjacent to Pedneau. I have attached the Hold Harmless form that the Army is requiring everyone to sign. Please print one for yourself and bring it. You only have to sign it once for the year and the club keeps them.

The Army has tightened the rules on bringing firearms onto the base.
    Because Pedneau is not on the main base, we do not have to worry about them. If you go through the main gate you must register all firearms.

The Army range control has taken a firm stand on range rules. There will be no personal vehicles other than the emergency designated vehicle on the Range. So, either you have to carry your equipment or put it in the emergency vehicle.

Hope to see you there!

Mark Friest
    President
    Alaska Rifle Club
    907-333-8199

Allen

Actually tried to PM you, think your box might be full.

This shoot sounds perfect, in terms of the slow fire. I would assume that its all single loaded fire as well? Would muzzle brakes not be allowed like the other shoot? I'll have to look at your schedule, have to head out of town this weekend but would like to catch a similar shoot.

Couple questions though,,On the other shoot you posted about, it mentions mag capacity. Do I need a firearm that can hold 5 in the mag to compete?

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Allen

Actually tried to PM you, think your box might be full.

This shoot sounds perfect, in terms of the slow fire. I would assume that its all single loaded fire as well? Would muzzle brakes not be allowed like the other shoot? I'll have to look at your schedule, have to head out of town this weekend but would like to catch a similar shoot.

Couple questions though,,On the other shoot you posted about, it mentions mag capacity. Do I need a firearm that can hold 5 in the mag to compete?
    check http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBoo.../hpr-index.pdf for the rules of F class, if the is the discipline you wish to pursue

if muzzle breaks interfere with the other shooters, that could be a problem...but we have had them on on the mixed bag shoots like this one and the fun match on summer solstice, check with Mark bout that...

Slow fire course of fire does not require a repeater. Slow fire matches are all fired single load.

Hope taht helps. Come shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast