Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Insurance

Default Alaska Insurance

Just bought a plane and will be bringing it up to Alaska in April. I got a pretty pricey insurance quote from Avemco and several other nationwide companies won't even quote Alaska airplanes. Anybody know of any good insurance companies. I know there will be an Alaska premium but 3 times the price versus Outside seems crazy. Oh the joy of ownership

The search function is your friend.
    Falcon Insurance, Soldotna, AK.........

i was told you dont have to have insurance if your private plane in alaska.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i was told you dont have to have insurance if your private plane in alaska.
    Only if you "OWN" your airplane...

But, If the Bank "owns" it (Loan), they DO require that you have insurance. Most of the pilots I know, including myself, do not have insurance.

Yeah I tried the search and it gave me a bunch of threads on handguns.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    The search function is your friend.
    Falcon Insurance, Soldotna, AK.........

Welcome to the chase. In my experience, the available insuruers (there are not many) will give you poor coverage (100 to 250 per seat not smooth) with a 10 per cent deductable. When I informed ny broker that I had an instrument rating and wanted the 10 % discount I had heard about, they laughed. In Alaska they want to charge you more for flying instrument. I finally have a liability package only as is required by Canada for my trips back and forth. At the prices quoted, versus the coverage offered, it's is a questionable call as to it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Only if you "OWN" your airplane...

But, If the Bank "owns" it (Loan), they DO require that you have insurance. Most of the pilots I know, including myself, do not have insurance.
    Just wondering: How do you protect your passengers and the property of others without liability insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Just wondering: How do you protect your passengers and the property of others without liability insurance?
    thats the risk they have to take they wanna come with. to bad something were to happen.
    Semper Fi!

please tell me your not a pilot Greythorn!

spam,

I got mine last yr after i bhght my 180B. Call Dean..He'll tell ya like it is and work with ya best he can. He flies here and know all the rules. They insure many planes here.

Tell him W Harvey sent ya.

Dean Eichholz
    Falcon Insurance Agency of Alaska, Inc.
    P.O. Box 3009
    Soldotna, AK 99669
    907-262-5548 phone
    907-262-5578 fax
    907-398-6228 cell

Good Ruck!..

Rick

I second calling Dean Eichholtz.
    I carry insurance through him for doing seaplane and tail-wheel instruction.
    He is also the DPE that I use for check-rides. He is an old A-6 Intruder pilot.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I only fly family and occasionally close friends ... paid cash for my C-180, I would love to share with others .... but not with hull insurance and liability as high as I found .... When you tell the insurance agent that you fly a tail dragger and land off airport they really do not want to work with it. If I would have paid insurance on my aircraft for the last 27 years (no off airbort wrecks), I would have paid for a second c-206 on Amphibious floats ....

To anybody financing their dream .... well you have to pay for it, in more ways than one. No more than 10% of net worth spent on big boy toys .... otherwise invest and be paitent.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    I only fly family and occasionally close friends ... paid cash for my C-180, I would love to share with others .... but not with hull insurance and liability as high as I found .... When you tell the insurance agent that you fly a tail dragger and land off airport they really do not want to work with it. If I would have paid insurance on my aircraft for the last 27 years (no off airbort wrecks), I would have paid for a second c-206 on Amphibious floats ....

To anybody financing their dream .... well you have to pay for it, in more ways than one. No more than 10% of net worth spent on big boy toys .... otherwise invest and be paitent.
    Well I think it's wonderful people that love flying CAN FINANCE their dreams. Yeah they pay more but they know that upfront. Just like buying a home or some acreage.

I paid cash for mine to but I wld never fly w/o Liability insurance. I don't want to loose what I've accumulated if sued for whatever reason.

Liability is not expensive.

Rocket

Yea Rocket ... you are probably right about liability, at the hangar today looking at the boat plane and hangar all cash purchases I have about 1/3 million hanging out in the breeze, need to look into it and get something for liability and a disaster caused by someone else in the 10 plex hanger doing something stupid and burning the place down.

Good point with the Liabilty insurance. I will look into it also...

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Yea Rocket ... you are probably right about liability, at the hangar today looking at the boat plane and hangar all cash purchases I have about 1/3 million hanging out in the breeze, need to look into it and get something for liability and a disaster caused by someone else in the 10 plex hanger doing something stupid and burning the place down.
    ocn,

Whelp then your gonna have to get other then liability to cover that. Kinda like Comprehensive auto insurance or like house insurance. Now my house insurance folk said if I kept my Achilles, a large boat or the 873G Bobcat I used to keep in the garage, which was attached to the house, all that was covered in my home owner's policy. If the hanger isn't considered a garage or attached I betcha your gonna have to get another policy to cover all that. I'm kinda surprised you don't have that already.

My liability covers anything I do like damage to another plane or whatever plus medical to others I may hurt. They can still sue ya for more then the coverage tho.

If you hanger is in a place where a forest fire might get to it or floating embers, I'd install some sprinklers on the roof. Remember that's what saved some homes in the Miller Reach Fire out at Big Lake.

Rick

I know that a few of the other folks who do float and tail-wheel ratings carry no insurance at all. Claiming to be self insured by having the plane in somebody else's name and so on... as if that would save them from a major law suit.
    But, I am always worried that one day a Turbine Otter full of ambulance chasing lawyers will cut around a corner and clip me and one of my clients. Sure it might be their fault, but who can pay for another lawyer long enough to prove it? It is not worth losing your house, bank accounts and property.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I think you can get screwed if you have insurance or not. Flying is a calculated risk both physically and financially. Every individual needs to assess what level of risk is acceptable to him/her.

Insuring a Cub on wheels is one thing (expensive enough), a 185 on floats is another(big $$$$).

driving a insured car and causing a accident can get you sued to lose everything you own also. i think if you look at someone wrong they will sue you nowadays and leave you homeless.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    driving a insured car and causing a accident can get you sued to lose everything you own also. i think if you look at someone wrong they will sue you nowadays and leave you homeless.
    Yeah if your really really negligent or drunk. But most juries would find for a few hundred grand or a million dollars, which is what most policies cover, good enough for just a plain ordinary accident.

If one has nothing to loose then it might make sense not to carry liability insurance. Is it morally the right thing to do..? Fact is lots of folk just don't "give a ****"..

I'm surprised the politicians haven't jumped on this issue to get more money from the insurance companies for their reelections. Scumy scumy scumy....!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast