Thread: propane heater cooker

Default propane heater cooker

I have built two propane heater cookers for ice houses that work great. They are made from discarded propane tanks and are not hard to build If you have some metal working skills and a wire feed welder you can build one. They would also work in a tent that has a stove pipe jack. These are vented heaters. PM me for instructions as best I could write them with 5 pictures. dont forget to pm your email address. Willy

Very nifty setup, thanks for the email and photos.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you would please. I would like the instructions for the propane heater cooker you have built. I would like to possibly make one.

Thank You, Endeavor1

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Very nifty setup, thanks for the email and photos.

Steve
    Steve, do you have pics?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Steve, do you have pics?
    This is the email and photos he sent me. It is a similar design to the nuway, only much more heavy duty.

Subject: stove

Start with a 20 or 30 pound propane tank make sure its empty then take out the screw on valve. this next step is important put the tank outside and put a hose in it and let the water run in it for about 30 minutes to get rid of any gas fumes. Cut the top off just ware the cylinder turns strait. I use a piece of linoleum about 4" wide and long enough to go around the tank to give a strait edge to mark a line with. I cut the top off with a saber saw with a metal blade with as many teeth as you can find 28 tpi buy a half dozen as you will use them before your done with the project. You can drill a hole to get started but make it on top of and just touching the line. you will discard the top. Next you must cut a door in the tank. about half way down the tank is a sort of rib put the door about 1/2" below the rib. the door should be horizontal and about 7"long and 4"tall. Weld a but hinge on one end about 3" tall and 3/4" wide. Its easier to do this if you weld the hinge on with part of the door uncut till you weld it on and then finish cutting. You also need some type of door closure I use a hasp on the other end of door welded on. Now you need to install the burner. I bought mine from turkey-fryers-online.com I used the 4" dia high pressure burner #bcbg10 burner $15.oo and the 10 psi hose regulator # bcm5hpr $25.oo this is only a 30" hose you may want a longer one as when I bought mine they had a 5' hose and I think a 10 or 12 ' hose would be even better. The burner has a stud in the bottom and I built a spacer to hold it off the bottom of the tank by 2" I used a piece of 2"x2" tubing and sliced off 1" of it I drilled a 3/8 hole in the middle of the spacer and a 1/4" hole on the opposite side I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the tank and bolted the spacer to the bottom of the tank. next I drilled a hole with a hole saw in the side of the tank for the horn of the burner to poke through. the hole saw should be just big enough for the end of the burner to fit through. Now lets move on and put in a chimney pipe elbow. you need a piece of 3" pipe the pipe can be either 3" od or 3" id so you can either put your stove pipe in it or over it. make an elbow by 2- 45 degree cuts and welding or 3 pieces with 22-1/2 degree cuts and welding. next cut a hole in the tank about 3" down from the top and weld in the elbow leave the elbow stick out from the stove about 2" or 3" so you have room for the top. Next step is the top you will need a piece of metal 1/8 to 3/8 inches thick cut out to be about 1/2 bigger dia than the top of your stove the little extra is to have room to weld. Next go back and bolt your burner to the spacer get it nice and snug and then turn the tank upside down on to the top and weld the top on solid. While the tank is upside down I welded on a piece of 1x1 square tubing about 16" centered on the bottom ring of the tank and welded on two 8" pieces centered at right angles to the 16" piece I drilled a 1/8 hole in in the end of each piece to screw the stove to the ice house. Your heater cooker is now done use a long lighter to light it out in your yard turn the heat up high and let it cook for half an hour or longer this should burn off any paint on the tank then its ready to install in your ice house or tent if its got a stove jack. This stove is fast heating and you can also cook on it make sure you have some air coming in to your ice house or tent so your stove gets oxygen to burn with. Make sure all your connections are snug and check with soapy water. The stove has worked great for me accept one day that a gusty 45 mph wind kept blowing the flame out. I solved that by using an 45 degree elbow on top of the chimney pipe facing away from the wind. I am not an engineer and in no way guarantee your results will work but I can say they are working great in two ice houses. Practice welding on the top you cut off to get your wire feed set up. I apologies for the large pictures if you click on the view button top near the left and click view out 1/3 that will work.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Hussey View Post
    Hey Steve,
    Do you got the photos???
    If yes then do share them with me as well...!!
    They are in the post above yours...

Really good idea! so do not waste anything! Thank yuo!